San Fran Finds

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Hey All,I'm going to San Fran for the first time (shit, I've never been anywhere on the west coast before) and I'm excited to do some sight-seeing, shopping, eating, and, of course, digging. Can anyone here recommend not-to-be-missed sights, restaurants, clothing/shoe stores, record stores, etc. I'm staying in Union Square.Don't leave out the burrito spots.Thanks.

Comments

• Damn, not one reply? I haven't been to the strut for a minute, but it used to be a real helpful place. That change? Or, is hcrink somewhere sucking everyone into an on-line squabble?

Anyone want to help me enjoy my much needed vacation by throwing out some suggestions?

Thanks all

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    yO;

mexican food (and don't trust these other cornablls with thur shit responses)

El Farolito 24th and Mission (there's a few in the city though)
    Taqueria Can-Cun (like I'd say 2-4 blocks up from Farolito crossing Army/Cesar Chavez)

Records:

Grove Merchant (lower haight)
    Opend Mind (divisadero, which runs through haight)
    Amoeba, (upper haight)
    all of these are close to each other

clubs:
    depends what night you're here, but MILK is always a sure bet (Across from Amoeba)

Gear:
    Depends on what your steez is, You'll find plenty of stores on Upper Haight
    Upper Playground is on lower haight 2 blocks from Grove Merchant

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    did you see this?

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=354203&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

what's your flavor? i could list off some shit but i dont know if youd be into it.

ps
    i just rhymed

yO;

mexican food (and don't trust these other cornablls with thur shit responses)

El Farolito 24th and Mission (there's a few in the city though)
    Taqueria Can-Cun (like I'd say 2-4 blocks up from Farolito crossing Army/Cesar Chavez)

Gear (continued):

If you have more refined/expensive tastes. The Louis Vuitton store is union square and macy's has an entire building of just mens clothes.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Damn, not one reply? I haven't been to the strut for a minute, but it used to be a real helpful place. That change? Or, is hcrink somewhere sucking everyone into an on-line squabble?

We were all at lunch, sorry.

SF is full of ish to do, here's some suggestions. For record stores, I'd say the highlights would be Amoeba on Haight, Groove Merchant on Haight, and if you're around on a weekend it's worth checking Rooky Ricardo's on Haight (it's open during the week too, but you gotta go on the weekends when Dick is in the shop).

Every San Franciscan has their favorite burrito--mine is El Toro at 17th and Valencia. I'll leave it to others for more suggestions.

Every San Franciscan has their favorite burrito--mine is El Toro at 17th and Valencia. I'll leave it to others for more suggestions.

you know what, i kinda like that place too. they have good fish burritos.

and if youre around on friday, the dude and the lady at rooky's usually have their weekly game of dominos in the late afternoon...

• ...is a must.

...is a must.

• If you're going to be in SF this weekend make sure to drop by the KUSF record fair on Sunday

• cheap eats:

-Best Vietnamese food at Tu Lan on 6th Street @ Market... don't mind that it's the sketchiest street in SF (made worse by the fact that there's a road construction fence making the sidewalk seem *real* narrow in front of the place... my favorite is the #17 (cold vermicelli noodles w/ BBQ pork & imperial roll).

-Taco truck (19th/ Harrison, I think... there're a few in the mission)... $1.50 tacos (you'll need a few though).

Records:

see posts above

For a great view of the city, go to Twin Peaks... unless it's foggy. It's free, and it's awesome.

• Just saw that - I'm coming up on the 22nd. Might try to catch one of those. Seen some of them.

Any other one-offs or interesting cultural events happening from the 22nd to the 27th. Let me know.

Thanks.

• Yo, I don't want to start any burrito beef

We need a 50 cent emotican in here. Anyone?

• Taco truck

Awesome DJ name up for grabs, folks.

isnt ross, josh and pat doing some sort of bay rap thing soon?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Records:

you can PM Jinx and strike through the crib for some LPs, 12s, and 45s... and Movie Posters as well if you're into that kind of thing (richmond dist just north of golden gate park)[/b]
    Grove Merchant (lower haight)
    Opend Mind (divisadero, which runs through haight)
    Amoeba, (upper haight)
    all of these are close to each other

If you're going to be in SF this weekend make sure to drop by the KUSF record fair on Sunday

It already passed, homie.

• If you're going to be in SF this weekend make sure to drop by the KUSF record fair on Sunday

It already passed, homie.

Um, no, it's this Sunday, June 12.

KUSF website

• is the haight street fair this weekend??...

if so, there's gonna be mad folls in the street... hold on to yo record bag!!!

edit:

IT IS ON THE 12th[/b]

band line-up:

HSF MASONIC STAGE LINE-UP by GROUNDSCORE (in alphabetical order)

Bands

??? Angst

??? Baldred & The Raggamuffin Crew

??? Death Valley High

??? Funeral Party

??? $lotmachine

??? Switchback

DJs

??? Felix the Dog

??? Lexxus

??? Nader

??? Qzen

??? Rascue

??? Ted Shread

??? 4Real

STANYAN STAGE LINE-UP

??? Waterfall & Friends

??? Galaxxy Chamber

??? The Bridge

??? Jeffrey Halford

??? Corinne

??? Swoon

??? Jane Genet & the Tacky Snappers

??? Transcendental Hayride

??? The Kehoe Nation

is the haight street fair this weekend??...

if so, there's gonna be mad folls in the street... hold on to yo record bag!!!

edit:

IT IS ON THE 12th[/b]

band line-up:

HSF MASONIC STAGE LINE-UP by GROUNDSCORE (in alphabetical order)

Bands
    ??? Angst
    ??? Baldred & The Raggamuffin Crew
    ??? Death Valley High
    ??? Funeral Party
    ??? $lotmachine
    ??? Switchback

DJs
    ??? Felix the Dog
    ??? Lexxus
    ??? Nader
    ??? Qzen
    ??? Rascue
    ??? Ted Shread
    ??? 4Real

STANYAN STAGE LINE-UP

??? Waterfall & Friends
    ??? Galaxxy Chamber
    ??? The Bridge
    ??? Jeffrey Halford
    ??? Corinne
    ??? Swoon
    ??? Jane Genet & the Tacky Snappers
    ??? Transcendental Hayride
    ??? The Kehoe Nation

oh snap I forgot I'm deejaying at some place called "Moroc" for the festival (Upper Haight block before Amoeba)