Outbidding Friends on eBay (NAGL?)

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
just saying... ive never bid on an auction that i saw my boy bidding on. EVER... and ive been on since 98.now if i was outbid by someone else and you werent really checking to see if i was on it, cool i understand, not everyone is checking the bidder action like myself. though if im the only person on the piece, holler at me before you start throwing the price of the record up. i do get those notes in my PM/email/vm from folks like "you really trying for this?" either ill say yes or no... not that im asking for notice before you bust on the auction but shit... in my view its like being in the store and grabbing a record out of my hand and telling the owner ill pay you $5 more than this dude. you know, getting outbid by a friend for 50cents is kinda bullshit to me....or maybe im just irritated that this has happened to me about 5 or 6 times over the past couple of months.anyway, thats my early saturday morning gripe of the day....

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    My ex-girlfriend outbid me for a Fatback 45 (when we were dating). I thought it was kinda sexy.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    not that im asking for notice before you bust on the auction but shit... in my view its like being in the store and grabbing a record out of my hand and telling the owner ill pay you $5 more than this dude.

Errr it's not really the same thing unless you go to record shops that have live auctions.

All is fair on Ebay, you should have bid more.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    not that im asking for notice before you bust on the auction but shit... in my view its like being in the store and grabbing a record out of my hand and telling the owner ill pay you $5 more than this dude.

Errr it's not really the same thing unless you go to record shops that have live auctions.

all may be fair, but it shows the character of some folks, and there are more than a few people on this board who are straight douches

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    this is the real reason why Ebay went to the "bidder1, bidder2, bidder3" kind of thing. In a continous effort to make your Ebay experience more pleasant, they don't want you to know you're being fucked by a "friend" on records over $100 (was it over $100, I don't remember)

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    My ex-girlfriend outbid me for a Fatback 45 (when we were dating). I thought it was kinda sexy.

all may be fair, but it shows the character of some folks, and there are more than a few people on this board who are straight douches

I wouldn't personally bid against a friend, I don't need ANY record that bad. But you know how
    the collectro mentality can get people twisted. Some people just can't help it, it's called OCD.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i try not to do this, but when you get to sniping sometimes it's out of your control.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I think it's 100% wackness. fuck this "all is fair" bullshit. you see your peoples on a record - you step to him and ask what's up. cock blocking in any arena -

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I feel terrible.
    i think this was directed at me.
    i did not see justin bidding on a record.
    and outbid him.

i have pmed him but he has not responded.
    i am returning to my hole.

LORD SAVE ME FOR I KNOW NOT WHAT I.......

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Any record worth owning is worth outbidding a friend to acquire.

cock blocking in any arena -

Cock blocking? Do you and your buddies hump records?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

its sentences like this that make me like you dude. in the real world youre as quiet cool as ive ever seen a person and would never expect such worthy sentences to exit out of your mouth. if you didnt live so far away id tell you to come on over for an early morning coffee and tickle.

...so yeah this was directed at ari. youre my dude. i was just cranky this morning and already wrote a note to our boy saying that.

anyway... i still feel the same way about bidding on yer boy. but as our friend reyrey reynaldo put it...

...and with that, im off to drink coffee, eat a chocolate chip muffin, and ride out my puff revisiting the last season of the sopranos before the new season begins.

enjoy your weekend fam!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

you have friends? Pffffft.

"Step in the name of Hatt, bitch."

• Any record worth owning is worth outbidding a friend to acquire.

its sentences like this that make me like you dude. in the real world youre as quiet cool as ive ever seen a person and would never expect such worthy sentences to exit out of your mouth. if you didnt live so far away id tell you to come on over for an early morning coffee and tickle.

...so yeah this was directed at ari. youre my dude. i was just cranky this morning and already wrote a note to our boy saying that.

anyway... i still feel the same way about bidding on yer boy. but as our friend reyrey reynaldo put it...

...and with that, im off to drink coffee, eat a chocolate chip muffin, and ride out my puff revisiting the last season of the sopranos before the new season begins.

enjoy your weekend fam!

i thought this ws about me until i saw ari fess up, my bad, never intentionally. but y'know, if you see the magic words on a label, you better put a healthy bid if you really want it

that reminds me, i found another one of the offending records J

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    just saying... ive never bid on an auction that i saw my boy bidding on. EVER... and ive been on since 98.

now if i was outbid by someone else and you werent really checking to see if i was on it, cool i understand, not everyone is checking the bidder action like myself. though if im the only person on the piece, holler at me before you start throwing the price of the record up.

i do get those notes in my PM/email/vm from folks like "you really trying for this?" either ill say yes or no... not that im asking for notice before you bust on the auction but shit... in my view its like being in the store and grabbing a record out of my hand and telling the owner ill pay you $5 more than this dude. you know, getting outbid by a friend for 50cents is kinda bullshit to me.

...or maybe im just irritated that this has happened to me about 5 or 6 times over the past couple of months.

anyway, thats my early saturday morning gripe of the day....

There is a big difference between friends and acquaintances. It's really important to know the differences between the two. If you don't set high expectations for them you won't feel let down or angered by their actions.

We all really have 2 or 3 real friends. These are the people that would take care of you if some real shit happened to you, like visit you in the hospital etc. They should not bid against you if you ask them not to.

My guess is that the people you are talking about are really just acquaintances, and you can all bid against each other all day long. Just because you talk to certain people a lot about records, and/or post on the same message boards doesn't mean shit. I mean, they all post here because they like the same music you do, so it makes sense that they would be bidding against you. You all like the same music, and that's how you got to know each other in the first place.

Here is a nice breakdown I came up with for you. FYI I think the people you are taking about most likely belong in the bottom two categories:

Types of interpersonal relationships:[/b]

Kinship relationships[/b], including family relationships, being related to someone else by blood (consanguinity), e.g. fatherhood, motherhood; or through marriage (affinity), e.g. father-in-law, mother-in-law, uncle by marriage, aunt by marriage. (Now depending on how disfunctional/functional your family is, the bidding rules may vary.)[/b]

Formalized intimate relationships or long term relationships[/b] through law and public ceremony, e.g. marriage and civil union. (Your wife/husband should not bid against you. They can listen to your copy until they find their own. It may be a good look to buy them a copy of their own as a present one day)[/b]

Non-formalized intimate relationships[/b] or long term relationships such as loving relationships or romantic relationships with or without living together; the other person is often called lover, boyfriend or girlfriend (not to be confused with just a male or female friend), or significant other. If the partners live together, the relationship may be similar to marriage, and the other person may be called husband or wife. In Scottish law they are so regarded by common law after a time. Long term relationships in other countries are often erroneously called common law marriages, although they have no special status in law. Mistress is a somewhat old fashioned term for a female lover of a man who is married to another woman, or of an unmarried man. She may even be an official mistress (in French ma??tresse en titre); an example is Madame de Pompadour. (If your mistress bids against you, you have to cut her off. You are currently paying for her rent, expensive lingerie, hair cuts at high end salons, getting nails done, etc, this would be a fucked up move on her part. As far as people you are dating, this varies from person to person.)[/b]

Soulmates[/b], individuals who are intimately drawn to one another through a favorable meeting of the minds and who find mutual acceptance and understanding with one another. Soulmates may feel themselves bonded together for a lifetime; and, hence, they may be sexual partners but not necessarily. (Your soulmate would never bid against you, it's jsut the nature of your relationship so you don't have to worry about that one.)[/b]

Casual relationships[/b], relationships extending beyond one night stands that exclusively consist of sexual behavior, the participants of which may be known as friends with benefits when limited to considering sexual intercourse or sexual partners in a wider sense. (You can bid against each other all day long, because if you don't win the auction, they'll still go down on you if you call them at 2am for a booty call)[/b]

Platonic love[/b] is an affectionate relationship into which the sexual element does not enter, especially in cases where one might easily assume otherwise. (Should not bid against each other)[/b]

Friendship[/b], which consists of mutual love, trust, respect, and unconditional acceptance, and usually implies the discovery or establishment of common ground between the individuals involved. (Should not bid against each other, but you shold be able to patch things up if they did. Afterall it is only records.)[/b]

Brotherhood and sisterhood[/b], individuals united in a common cause or having a common interest, which may involve formal membership in a club, organization, association, society, lodge, fraternity or sorority. This type of interpersonal relationship also includes the comradeship of fellow soldiers in peace or war. (you can bid against each other, unless you served in a war together)[/b]

Partners or coworkers[/b] in a profession, business, or a common workplace. (bid against each other, especially if you hate your coworkers)[/b]

Participation in a community[/b], for example, a community of interest or practice, ie: Soulstrut. (bid against each other)[/b]

Association[/b], simply being introduced to someone or knowing who they are by interaction. (bid against each other)[/b]

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Here is a nice breakdown I came up with for you.

Dude, that's just a wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpersonal_relationship

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Well, I, for one, am GLAD that he didn't actually
    type that all out himself. That would have been
    much more disturbing.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Nice work Sherlock.

Nothing quite like stating the obvious.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

or base your "interpersonal relationships" management on wikipedia articles.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Give him a break. He came up with it all on his own.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

its sentences like this that make me like you dude. in the real world youre as quiet cool as ive ever seen a person and would never expect such worthy sentences to exit out of your mouth.

He cannot afford to waste words on friendly interpersonal interactions.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Next time you are on wikipedia look up "humor".

BTW did you really take the time to find the source of my post, or did you really look it up on wikipedia when you needed advice? Either way, I feel for you.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I definitely do not confuse "friendship" with "dude I know on record forums", but I none the less felt really crumby the one time I accidentally sniped an "eBuddy". It happens to me fairly often though. I must admit it gets annoying when it's the same people over and over, but I suppose it's to be expected when there is a relatively small group of people with similar interests.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I none the less felt really crumby the one time I accidentally sniped an "eBuddy".

^^^^SOFT

I can only assume that "crumby" is a mis-typing of "crumbly"... and I do not even want to speculate on what a soft and sugary coffeecake-like emotional state it might refer to.

Man up, little debbie.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm typically on some 'set it and forget it' sniper action, so I'm sure there have been times I've outbid friends without meaning to. I think I accidentally outbid Meaty on a 45 last year.

Where the record is from plays a big part in these situations, IMO. If you're an out-of-towner bidding on a Michigan 45 I want, I will outbid you. I don't care who you are. By the same token, I am not at all salty at out-of-state friends who outbid me on records from their state. Code of the streets, nahm?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    fuck a friend, aint no goddam friends on ebay. GET YOURS, n*gga

• I'm typically on some 'set it and forget it' sniper action, so I'm sure there have been times I've outbid friends without meaning to. I think I accidentally outbid Meaty on a 45 last year.

i try not to step on toes, but people should understand that this is an occupational hazard. also, there are many times i don't check for bidders...price, seller feedback, condition, etc. come up way ahead. not that i'm tying to whistle past the graveyard on who has bid, but it isn't the first thing i look for. so, maybe there is some of that about.