Seafood battle: East vs. West vs. Gulf

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
There's got to be a classic Soulstrut Heated Argument in this topic somewhere, and I'm trying to kill some time, so let's have it it!Which coast's seafood game is tighter?I may be a Cali dude now, but I'm a born-and-bred east-coaster, and while I can appreciate certain things about Cali seafood, I have to give the nod to how they do it back east. First of all, there is only one kind of crab, and that is Maryland blue crab (and there's only one way to prepare it, and that is boiled in Old Bay). This dungeness shit we've got out here is damn near insulting. Also, east coast shrimp > west coast prawns. I'm sorry, that's just how it is. And once you've gone to the docks in Maine and bought lobster straight from the lobsterman as they come back from checking their traps, you'll never have it any other way.Still, I do have to give props to the fish out here--and the great many ways it is prepared (including the fact that west coast sushi crushes its east coast counterpart). I grew up eating trout, bass, and perch that I had caught myself, along with the occasional swordfish steak, but living out in Cali has definitely expanded my horizons when it comes to fish. As for Gulf coast seafood...I can't really speak on it, so somebody else is gonna have to make that argument.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I love all seafood (except scallops) so I'ma leave the heated debates and asshurtedness to the rest of the board.

I think the Pac Northwest got some bomb seafood though: I dunno about Maryland blue, but Alaskan King crab is that crack to me! And you know they got the bomb salmon and trout up there....

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i call the gulf for their beluga caviar.

i call the gulf for their beluga caviar.

dude don't bring Azerbijian into this debate; let's keep it civil.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    As for Gulf coast seafood...I can't really speak on it, so somebody else is gonna have to make that argument.

You ain't said a damn thing if you've never been to a crawfish boil.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    As for Gulf coast seafood...I can't really speak on it, so somebody else is gonna have to make that argument.

Well, I've been to some, but none of them were in the Gulf coast. So I'm assuming they don't count.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

its the season for langoustines.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    where's lobster boy?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    They are better for different things:

East coast - Chowder and anything involving clams. Boston and New York have wars about their different kinds, right? I've been to the Oyster Bar at Grand Central, and it's killer.

Gulf - Crab & Lobster galore. When I went there was a $10 all you can eat crab and lobster buffet. You know how much that shit costs out here in the Bay?

West - Pacific Salmon and all that good fresh fish from Japan. You been to Tokyo fish on San Pablo Enki? They will hook you up with the best cuts of Fish in the Bay.

• agreed; get whatever is best in that particular region, as they all have their specialities.

I love a lot of the cape/east coast oysters, but nothing beats the west coast kumamotos. my god- so sweet and briney. just a perfect food.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts

Well, I've been to some, but none of them were in the Gulf coast. So I'm assuming they don't count.

I'm from the Houston but live on the west coast now, and would say that mud is mud unlike the Pacific/Atlantic breeding different types of fish and their availability, freshness, etc.

It's all in the love that it's made with. I feel for you if you haven't had real authentic shit.

My first experience was @ my dad's homie's house, Calvin, a black Cajun cowboy.

Fucking Amazing! Shit had me like

And I used to roll with some Creole cats down south who used to do that shit up real good, too.

Get on it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I had crab from Boston one time. That shit was pretty damn good yo.

You been to Tokyo fish on San Pablo Enki? They will hook you up with the best cuts of Fish in the Bay.

Not knowing about this one, but I will check it out. Truth be told, I haven't been buying seafood out here a whole lot, at least not over the past couple years. I order it in restaurants a lot, but I'm not making it for myself as much as I used to.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    It should also be noted that while on tour this past summer I had some incredible lobster in NYC @ LBJ Fish if that's the correct name of the place. The 4-tier raw seafood tower was a vision of amazement. After 2 levels we thought we were good, then they straight doubled up on it. Twice and Nice.

Needless to say I was straight

Then in VA Beach I spent like $150 in one day on seafood meals, and although they were great they didn't have me all hott and bothered like.

there are 3 spots for sushi in the bay i recommend.

1. sushi sue. im pretty sure thats the name, though i heard rumors they changed ownership. anyways, its in alameda and its open like 3 hours out of the day. and that's depending on whether the chef likes the fish that came in that day. anyways, he buys in small lots and once he's served it all, he closes.

2. kirala. this place is high priced. well, kinda. and its in berkeley. but the reputation is deserved. their chirashi is IIKASU!!!

3. kiss sushi. its in jtown. the only place to really get sushi in sf. dont fuck with any of them other spots in jtown cuz those are garbage. serious shit. its REAL SPENSYY but trust me, if u wan impress a girl go here. the place only sits like 8 people or something, but its the fucken BOMB! you might even miss it cuz its like under a apartment complex, but trust me when i say, this place is a must!!!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    As a chef at a seafood restaurant I gotta say each region has great product. I just want to give a shout out to stone crabs!!!!!

with Joe's mustard sauce!

and I've been jonsin' for some crawfish!!!!!

2. kirala. this place is high priced. well, kinda. and its in berkeley. but the reputation is deserved. their chirashi is IIKASU!!!

That place is poppin nearly every night when I've driven by. Strange location, but it works for them. One time I tried to go the wait was like 45 minutes long.

That place is poppin nearly every night when I've driven by. Strange location, but it works for them. One time I tried to go the wait was like 45 minutes long.

almost not really worth the wait. i mean, its cool for once in your life, but sushi sue was slightly more accessible, though in alameda. and the quality was awesome. the owner, or ex-owner (?) was one of those weird restuaranteers that would scold u for taking too long etc. but honestly, dood went to the docks every day to get fresh fish from the boats.

in any case, i highly recommend kiss in jtown.

there's this other spot in n berkeley that's owned by the kirala folks. coincidentally wifey or gf of carlos santana, RR fyi.

Yeah, I've been to Kirala a gang of times, and it's always pretty crowded. The problem is they don't take reservations, so if you want to go, you just show up, put your name on the list, and wait.

kirala.

there's this other spot in n berkeley that's owned by the kirala folks. coincidentally wifey or gf of carlos santana, RR fyi.

You talking about the place inside that Epicurious Garden thing in Gourmet Ghetto part of B-town? Overpriced for what's essentially a take-out spot, but that neighborhood seems to be able to afford it.

Speaking of food + Santana...

He is all over the walls, and eats there everytime he records at Fantasy across the street. The whole engineering staff there treats him like god since he is one of the only big people who still records there.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    As a chef at a seafood restaurant I gotta say each region has great product. I just want to give a shout out to stone crabs!!!!!

with Joe's mustard sauce!

and I've been jonsin' for some crawfish!!!!!

I think Stone Crabs are overrated or at least not worth their price. If I'm dropping money on crabs, they're going to be soft shell.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    they definately are expensive...that's where working in a seafood restaurant comes in handy. If you buy them in Florida when they are in season they're not too bad. I love soft shells! I love getting the pick of the litter.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    white people need to diversify their crab/lobster recipes, mad boring!

there I said it......

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Maryland Crabs are by far my favorite.

One of my favorite things to do when i was a kid, was to eat oysters at the Baltimore Harbor. I'm more partial to the East coast shell fish. The BC oysters are bigger, but Nova Scotia got that crack.

Best sushi I've had was definitely in Vancouver.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

You talking about the place inside that Epicurious Garden thing in Gourmet Ghetto part of B-town? Overpriced for what's essentially a take-out spot, but that neighborhood seems to be able to afford it.

Kirala is located next to Berkeley Bowl. Not part of the Gourmet Ghetto. I've never been but it's always packed when I go by. On a Sushi tip I always hit up C U Japanese Fusion on Center St. next to downtown Berkeley BART. Really good sushi and cheaper than most sushi places. Sushi Afloat (on Shattuck) finally went out of business. I used to go there but the quality of their sushi nose dived shortly afterwards.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    crab/lobster recipes

Who here's had callaloo?

Replace REAL with WEST INDIAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callaloo

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    supposedly the best in sf is the sushi bar at anzu. There are only 8 seats so a reservation is definitely needed.

Don't let the rest of the menu fool you, the itamae at the bar means business. Also, as to be expected, not cheap.

other places of interest....

koo
    ino
    hama-ko
    kabuto - changed ownership though
    okina
    sakae

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i may be in the minority but i'll take atlantic salmon over pacific any day.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i may be in the minority but i'll take atlantic salmon over pacific any day.
    i agree

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Maryland Crab Cakes. You can get some good ones at some resturants around the Chesepeak, but the real stuff is at my motherinlaws. Also steamed and soft.

Dungenes is good for a crab cocktail or in a stew.

The Pac NW has lots of good sea food. There are 3 kinds of pacific salmon, Chinook, king, coho. And lots of ways to prepare them. Most places when they say Atlantic they mean farmed. Avoid that sh..

Best sea food I had; I was hanging out in Newport OR and my friend got a call. He had just brought his tuna boat in and the canneries were paying .07c pound or some shite so he was selling dock side. My friend rushed down and bought 100 pounds. We got a pit fire going in the back yard. They called everyone they new and we were roasting and eating that tuna as fast as we could. In the house they were boiling and canning it. They kept telling us to eat more and more as each minute the freshness diminishes. Ate till i bout burst. Fantastic.

Which brings us to a word about West Coast restaurants and fusion cooking. I've had lots of great meals here. But if the fish is good and fresh, grilled with a little butter, garlic and lemon is ultimately better than hazelnut encrusted with a thyme and orange olie blended with corn and pineapple salsa.