Western Union (School me / Oh crap related)

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So i have a guy in Portugal who won my auction last night, i told him to send me the equivalent of a cashier's check or money order and he went to get it and informs me that you can't send a money order from there to the US (validity czech?). So he told me that he did a Western Union transfer and sent me the code. I have never in my life dealt with Western Union, so i guess i am just looking for feedback here since i know that it's well hated. I know ebay threads are redundant but apparently there is money waiting for me, so i'd like to get it all taken care of. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Western Union is fine if he's sending you the money and you got the code. Some countries don't do money orders. Unsure of Portugal, UK frowns on the international money order action.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Cool man, thanks for the heads up. I am gonna read up on everything after work, but knew the strut would be a good quick reference.

• Cool man, thanks for the heads up. I am gonna read up on everything after work, but knew the strut would be a good quick reference.

Yeah, what The Non said. Just make sure you don't get mugged outside the check cashing place. Other than that you're golden.

• I used to get a lot of people paying for records this way, most often they would be from Spain, and sometimes Italy. Have not had anyone do it for awhile, though.

Everything would usually be fine with the control number they gave me, the Western Union spot will typically create a check for you and then cash it on the spot if you want, these places are normally found inside grocery stores or drugstores. I can remember at least two or three times there were problems and a lot of time wasted, though.....definitely not a preferred payment method IMO. Make sure you don't get stuck with any fees to receive either, I think that happened to me once as well....if the buyer does it right you should get exactly the $$ amount you are expecting. Before going in person you may want to call WU and make sure the transfer went through OK.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    a Western Union transfer is the best thing that could happen to you as a seller. Sure, you have to move your ass to get it cashed, but you walk away with the money in your hand without any additional fees.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    That's good info folks. There's a place next to my apartment that does WU (and my bank is right behind it) so this is all good info to have. I had two records go off last night, both to International bidders, one asked if Western Union was cool, the other just went ahead and did it.