Jive To Stop Pressing Vinyl???

SonicReducerSonicReducer 421 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I heard from a record pool cat that his Jive rep told him they're not going to press vinyl anymore. Anybody else heard this?SONIC

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not suprising at all

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    All are supposedly done in about 2 years... The new vinyl game is almost done...

If you are still needing vinyl get ready to jump to Microwave or all white labels.

• All are supposedly done in about 2 years... The new vinyl game is almost done...

If you are still needing vinyl get ready to jump to Microwave or all white labels.

labels been saying this since 1992. peace, stein. . .

All are supposedly done in about 2 years... The new vinyl game is almost done...

labels been saying this since 1992. peace, stein. . .

True but they have actually already scaled back their vinyl production considerably in the last two years. Add to that all of the radio DJs are pretty much all on or making the move to Microwave and similar systems and they have no reason to keep vinyl around. I am only talking about the Majors, indies may and probably will hold onto vinyl production.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    indies may and probably will hold onto vinyl production.

how else will they make money?

Shows.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Shows.

LABELS?

• indies may and probably will hold onto vinyl production.

Shows.

how do indie labels make money from shows? peace, stein. . .

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cds

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    That's a shame. If anyone's got an extra Willesden Dodgers, please to holleur at me.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Some of the Jive vinyl I've picked up recently was of shitty quality... shallow pressings with dimples/bumps and shit (like Killah Kuts and a lot of other whites)

Not that thats unusual these days, Def Jam has been guilty too... still, I hate to hear this. No UGK wax? Too $hort??? The Pack?

Shows.

how do indie labels make money from shows? peace, stein. . .

Sorry i was referring to artists... What is the point of being on a label thesse days as an indie? I mean mom and pops are closing left and right, kids really don't buy CDs like they used to (Major label or otherwise), and most indies aren't in best buy/ target. With only a limited number of outlets and that nnumber shrkinging, what purpoe does the indie label/distributor serve? Outside of a FatBeats or a Carolines who can get you in the major outlets if you have the dough in your budget you are better served doing it yourself. Add to that the fact that you can self ditribute online (iTunes, eMusic etc.) for downloading, I don't know what purpose they are serving besides being a middleman for serving product. And with CDs/Vinyl on the downward swing to the younger target audience, explain to me how it helps other than putting up the money? The thing is the only place that vinyl is still selling well is overseas but even that is decreasing in regards to new product. I have talked to stores overseas that have quit buying new vinyl and switched strictly to collectible/rare stuff.

Just sayin... They aren't going to make money off of CDs/vinyl pretty soon so whats left? Licensing? Are the indies good at getting music licensed/cleared? (serious question). And if there is an advantage to being an indie or on an indie in teh future rather than doing it yourself please to knowledge me.

PS. this is a good topic.

• well. . .as for my group(ugly duckling) we are on fat beats records. we decided to go with this label because of their reputation(10+ yrs in the game) and they have really good distribution. our latest record has sold around 5,000+ vinyl lp. c.d. not so good. i think soundscanned 4 or so. but i'm pretty sure it would have been damn near impossible to do this ourselves. but what do i know. peace, stein. . .

yes and that makes sense, but I would not put you in the exact ame category as you have developed a fan base/sound over a long period of time. In addition when you started in music CDs/Vinyl were the primary methods of listening to music. Just looking at how fast things have changed in the last couple of years, if things move even somewhat exponentially in the next 2 years, it will be an interesting market to say the least. How do indie labels make money in a digital age? Merchandising cut? Digital downloads (This would be hard to do being that most Indies are just trying to get people to hear them by giving stuff away free). A Stones Throw/Fat Beats/Def Jux/Rhymesayers size indie is in a very interesting position. I honetly don't know what they can or will do without the tangible product.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    our latest record has sold around 5,000+ vinyl lp. c.d. not so good. i think soundscanned 4 or so...
    You sold more vinyl LPs than CDs ???

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    our latest record has sold around 5,000+ vinyl lp. c.d. not so good. i think soundscanned 4 or so...
    You sold more vinyl LPs than CDs ???

wouldn't surprise me at all. At least over here in Europe, things are looking a bit better. There are still alot of pressing plants and the volume they press still increases. But this increase is not related to "rap music". It's clear that major labels in the US loose money by pressing rap music on vinyl. I mean, if promo agencies in Europe get a 1000 promos or whatever of the newest Ying Yang Twins release, it doesn't make sense, because people who spin stuff like that are already on Microwave. However, if the newest UD or stuff from Stones Throw comes in numbers like 10 copies for one country, it is clear that vinyl dj's don't get their stuff anymore (at least promowise). But I am sure that in certain markets, vinyl will still be around. Given the overall sales decrease in major label rap music, it is no wonder that there are no vinyl promos no more. There is a system called media control, which counts sales for Germany for all the big retail stores (no indie shops), kind of an equivalent to soundscan. Nas "HipHop is dead" sold around...500 copies.

btw...I typed [insert name of company here], but it changed to Microwave when I hit the continue button...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    This is like the early '90 when labels tried to kill wax, but now they will because they've got Microwave to help them.

• indies may and probably will hold onto vinyl production.

most indie labels dont make money due to dead beat distros... i have to give it up to the UK & abroad, those cats keeping vinyl alive on the real, 85% of our sales come from outside the US & i know it's the same for many other US indie labels... were gonna ride vinyl till the wheels fall off...

ps stein what you gonna do when fat beats is no more, word on the streets its in the works...

yo dr*% if fat beats goes under we will get a deal with another label. it never ends. peace, stein. . .