Zeppelin VS. Sabbath

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
It's been cooler to say Sabbath rules since like the mid - 90's and the first 4 records are classic- but I say zep!

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• Sabbath. In a landslide.

If Plant were as cool a vocalist as Ozzy it'd be a lot closer but that whailing shit grates at times.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    while we're at it, please school me on how Zeppelin and the Stones are cruel rip-offs of Black American music. I've heard that sentiment expressed on here but I can't say I really know either of their music enough to know what's up. School the kid plaese.

• both awesome but zeppelin has more solid material. peace, stein. . .

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    becheet...whhachit.... ptututut....what kind of stupid ass question is that.

SABBATH.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    there are like a million billion zeppelin songs u can make sweet sweet love to.

i think there's only like 1 sabbath tune.

i vote for zeppelin

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    while we're at it, please school me on how Zeppelin and the Stones are cruel rip-offs of Black American music. I've heard that sentiment expressed on here but I can't say I really know either of their music enough to know what's up. School the kid plaese.

alot of zeppelin's stuff contained alot of stolen blues riffs and lyrics, even whole songs(dazed and confused)

read some of the reviews here:
    http://www.vintageprog.com/classic70srock/zeppelin.htm

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Sabbath. In a landslide.

• while we're at it, please school me on how Zeppelin and the Stones are cruel rip-offs of Black American music. I've heard that sentiment expressed on here but I can't say I really know either of their music enough to know what's up. School the kid plaese.

Don't tempt a race thread.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    there is a riff in dazed & confused before the wailing guitar part that always sounded uber sabbathy to me

um, i love both but i listen to zeppelin way more often so i guess that's what i prefer

but it's just so tempting around here.

for real, mines was a serious inquiry though.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    two of my absolute favorites...when i tune into rock stations, its in hoping of hearing one of these two bands. slight edge to zepp

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

but it's just so tempting around here.

for real, mines was a serious inquiry though.

Well for the Stones it was obvious- the first few records were mostly blues/r&b/motown covers. Then they wrote their own songs- but that style really became it's own thing in my opionion.

Zep took the blues power trio template started by Cream and The Hendrix Experience (and The Who to an extent) and just made it heavier and louder. They did a couple blues covers - but you never heard Skip James or Muddy quoting from the Lord of the rings !

Sabbath. In a landslide.

If Plant were as cool a vocalist as Ozzy it'd be a lot closer but that whailing shit grates at times.

But Ozzy and Sabbath made some wack records:

ZEP WINS!

zep was just doing the same thing as all the other guitar hero heavy english bands; the experience, cream.

I say the sabbath was much more innovative, I mean its easy to look at something like War Pigs and see it as a cliche now, but remember Paranoid came out in 1970. Way different than what was happening then.

I say the sabbath was much more innovative, I mean its easy to look at something like War Pigs and see it as a cliche now, but remember Paranoid came out in 1970. Way different than what was happening then.

I agree with that.

zep was just doing the same thing as all the other guitar hero heavy english bands; the experience, cream.

and saba knows a thing or two about war pigs.

• zep was just doing the same thing as all the other guitar hero heavy english bands; the experience, cream.

Jimmy Page was a contemporary of those other guitar heroes. To say he was copy-catting is not true.

Did Cream and Hendrix ever stretch rock like "Houses of the Holy" or "Physical Graffiti"?

Sabbath isn't really innovative, at all. Granted, their influence is huge.

• I take it back; Black Sabbath was innovative, but not as much as Led Zeppelin.

"Paranoid" is 1971, in case you care.

I take it back; Black Sabbath was innovative, but not as much as Led Zeppelin.

Released September 18, 1970 (UK)
    Released January 1, 1971 (US)

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

• Yeah, I'm getting lots of results for each.

I guess one year doesn't really matter...

• "Paranoid" is 1971, in case you care.

I take it back; Black Sabbath was innovative, but not as much as Led Zeppelin.

Released September 18, 1970 (UK)
    Released January 1, 1971 (US)

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/sabbathpick.html

That's what I figured.

• "War Pigs" cliche? Never that. I could listen to that song forever. The drums melt my face off every single time.

I didn't know Black Sabbath made albums after "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath".

No slight to the Zep. They rock HARD. Just a Sabbath guy. Some of the best shit ever to me.

Fat Jack killed it w/ the Zep loop on "Underground Fossils".

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    can't someone be a sabbath and a zeppelin guy/gal? supernaut is the jammy jam!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i got 11th row center at radio city music hall for heaven and hell 3/30

they will kill it ..no question
    dio is that dude when he is with sabbath

I saw sabbath with ozzy 2 years ago @ozzfest from the side of the stage
    they did an hour set
    and killed it
    ozzy was suprisingly on and in tune and bill ward is godhead immaculate
    as is butler and lord iommi

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    It's been cooler to say Sabbath rules since like the mid - 90's and the first 4 records are classic- but I say zep!

first FOUR??? Y'all so stupid! The first SIX are all absolutely incredible and unfuckwithable.

Sabbath. In a landslide.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    its like picking between whiskey and beer. always the hardest Sabbath. "the doctor told me son you have to fuck." is that the way it goes?

"the doctor told me son you have to fuck."

haha what? it's "son you've gone too far"...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    haha,damn, you ruined a great song with the truth.

Goin' home, late last night
    suddenly I got a fright
    Yeah I looked throught the window and surprised what I saw
    Fairy boots were dancin' with a dwarf, all right now!

Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
    yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies
    Yeah Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
    I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes, well all right now!

So I went to the doctor, see what he could give me
    he said "Son, son, you've gone too far.
    'cause smokin' and trippin' is all that you do."

YEEEEAAAHHHHHHH!