Winehouse on Letterman

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    dude I think that's what we're already doing.

anyway I'm bored.

no, "ironic" does not apply to a situation when a younger, more media-savvy artist appropriates an older, more authentic artist's sound and gets famous off it.

that's not the meaning of ironic. at all.

PS there's nothing particularly "original" about that scenario either. but we can debate the meaning of "original" in another thread.

The fuck? This Semantics-Strut now? (Though I do agree - what is described is not "ironic").

As it is, I interviewed Sharon Jones last week for an upcoming magazine piece and we had a nice, hour long conversation about many things, one of which is how the kind of sound she and the Dapkings pioneered is now being picked up by other artists. She had nothing bad to say about Amy though Jones did note that when she first started, she was too young to have been able to forge a career in the '60s/early '70s and as it is now, she's too old to be "marketable" in the same way someone like Amy Winehouse is.

THAT is irony. And I totally feel for Jones. She's wondering how it is that she's been passed by on both ends and a lot of it does have to do with age and race, no question.