MovingStrut

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I am trying to get across the country by fall, and aiming for the bay area.Have any of you had to move almost 3000 miles away before? How much did you save to leave?I keep daydreaming till I finally get out there. Any one have any suggestions? Especially if you moved to the bay area would be most helpful. I know it is expensive, but I really want to be there soon.thankselise

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Save about $5000-$7000 to do it... You can do it for less, but it will e difficult unless you have peoples that will let you crash for free until you get on your feet. If you already have a job lined up you can do it for less also.

Moving via Uhaul will cost about $1200-$1500 including gas etc.

After that you will need Downpayment on Apt.

and then you will need enough money to live on for at least a month while you find a job... It may be less, but if you plan on a month-month and a half to get on your feet you shold be pretty safe.

• I moved from Cali to NYC in 2000, and it took about $2,000. I rented one of those converted passenger vans from Budget, and took about a week to drive across. But gas was a lot cheaper back then, and my dad came with me and paid for some of the hotels and meals.