mistaken identity stories?

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i dont really have any good ones, but people are always confusing me with other dudes. this topic is on my mind because for the past 20 minutes i have been getting random emails from a group of indian peeps (who i dont know) that are planning a night out to see this comedian Russell Peters (never heard of him). i'm literally the only non-indian sounding name on the email list (of like 7 people), yet with like 10 replies, nobody has asked who that american dude is that is getting cc'd. i'm gonna reply to everyone and say that i can't wait because i made out with russell peters after getting really hammered one night. ill update if i get any interesting responses.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i'm gonna reply to everyone and say that i can't wait because i made out with russell peters after getting really hammered one night. ill update if i get any interesting responses.
    LOL. full report plaese

i got mistaken for other people all the time. Liam Neeson and tintin

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    The cops once mistook me for a bank robber.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A friend of the one Terry_Clubbup whose first initial was "R" and whose last name was "Parham" once received an e-mail intended for one "Randy Parham," purporting to air out Randy for his role in a scandalous love quadrangle.

When it reached me, I did the only thing I could: immediately opened a Yahoo account in the name of "Randy Parham" and proceeded to get at all of the recipients of the initial e-mail.

• When it reached me, I did the only thing I could: immediately opened a Yahoo account in the name of "Randy Parham" and proceeded to get at all of the recipients of the initial e-mail.

Are those hours billable?

A friend of the one Terry_Clubbup whose first initial was "R" and whose last name was "Parham" once received an e-mail intended for one "Randy Parham," purporting to air out Randy for his role in a scandalous love quadrangle.

When it reached me, I did the only thing I could: immediately opened a Yahoo account in the name of "Randy Parham" and proceeded to get at all of the recipients of the initial e-mail.

The real Randy's roommate ultimately asked that I "reframe" from e-mailing him further.

Are those hours billable?

Well, my professor probably wouldn't have been thrilled to know what had inspired the look of rapt concentration on my face as I hunched over my laptop.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    theres a 24 hour restaurant on Beverly Blvd in LA called "Shakers" real scenester joint with great orangesicle milkshakes. Anyways I was eating there at 1 am with my then girlfriend and this dude who I thought was my little brother walks into the place and gets a booth with some friends right across from us. After a couple of minutes I start getting really pissed cause he's not saying hi to me and he's acting like a coked out goofball. I sit up to walk over and my girl sees that I'm all asshurt and asks why. I tell her that I'm pissed that my little brother isn't even bothering to acknowlege me. Then my girl laughs

"that ain't your brother, it's Andy Dick"

I felt kinda dumb after that

• i dont really have any good ones, but people are always confusing me with other dudes. this topic is on my mind because for the past 20 minutes i have been getting random emails from a group of indian peeps (who i dont know) that are planning a night out to see this comedian Russell Peters (never heard of him). i'm literally the only non-indian sounding name on the email list (of like 7 people), yet with like 10 replies, nobody has asked who that american dude is that is getting cc'd. i'm gonna reply to everyone and say that i can't wait because i made out with russell peters after getting really hammered one night. ill update if i get any interesting responses.

One of Russell Peters' friends posts here.

BTW: Russell Peters, despite his "non-indian sounding name," is in fact South Asian.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

BTW: Russell Peters, despite his "non-indian sounding name," is in fact South Asian.

And he's got some OK standup material, too.

People often think I'm DJ Spair. And, occasionally, DJ Platurn. People, please try to keep your tall East Bay-based whitey DJs straight!

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

People often think I'm DJ Babu. [/b]And occasionally QBert[/b]. People, please try to keep your Filipino[/b] DJs straight!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    i'm gonna reply to everyone and say that i can't wait because i made out with russell peters after getting really hammered one night. ill update if i get any interesting responses.
    LOL. full report plaese

i got mistaken for other people all the time. Liam Neeson and tintin

When I had longer hair, I was mistaken for Francois Kervorkian on at least two separate occasions, including once when he was actually spinning in the club at the time. Around the same time period, I used to often get mistaken for Conny from the Idjut Boys and Dave "Joey Negro" Lee. Never anybody famous, though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I was riding the air train at JFK and these 2 girls with TSA uniforms on thought I was K Fed.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I was at an outdoor festival last summer (Intonation, I think) where Rhymefest was playing...I had a beard at the time, and more than one person mistook me for Rhymefest.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

LOL. full report plaese

i think i went a little overboard because its been like 20 minutes and i havent gotten a response...so i'm assuming the first person who received it knocked me off the email chain.

in addition to saying that i made out with the dude, i asked everyone if things would be weird since he might recognize me from the stage. then i ended by saying everything should be cool because i shaved my beard off.

next time i will be a bit more subtle.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I was riding the air train at JFK and these 2 girls with TSA uniforms on thought I was K Fed.

So did that work out better or worse than if they thought you were just some anonymous doud??

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Here is a good one.

When I was in LA last week I went into the Marc Jacobs store looking for some shit for wifey.

I'm looking around and next thing I know this junkie-looking, heroin skinny bitch grabs my arm and goes...

Her: "Gasp, you gave me a heart attack"

Me: "Why"

Her: "You look just like my ex-boyfriend, except you're much better looking"

Me: "Thanks, who's your ex-boyfriend?"

Her: "Jason Schwartzman"

Me: "Who's that?"

Her: "He's in Phantom Planet and also is an actor"

Me: "Oh, cool."

Her: "So what's your deal, do you want to grab lunch?"

Me: "I'm in LA and it's a fucking nightmare, get me the fuck out of here. Sorry, but I'm on a mission and I normally don't talk to strangers...ha ha."

Me: "So who are you? Are you famous or something?"

Her:

But now she looks like this:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah...so, uh....I went to a Britney Spears concert in high school (because my boy knew the promoter and gave us free tickets) and while walking toward the concession stand a little girl ran up to me and asked if I was a back-up dancer.

So...I said "yes" and signed her poster, only to have a PACK of adolescents gather and run me down for more autographs.

It was all a blur after that. No idea how I escaped.

I am so ashamed.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Her: "So what's your deal, do you want to grab lunch?"

Me:

So did that work out better or worse than if they thought you were just some anonymous doud??

If something like this ever happened to me, I hope I would have the presence of mind to play along and see how far I could take it.

I think I've posted about this before, but the security guard at the Duane Reade near my apartment insists we did a bid together.

Years ago, my best friend used to always get mistaken for the other white dude in his building, who was this gay hairdresser... the one time I saw the dude he had dyed-black hair, was wearing tight maroon pants and walking a teacup poodle (my friend had none of those traits/indulgences).

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    When I was 16 and taking my written driver's license test, there was another guy with my last name taking it at the same time. The testers confused us and passed him and failed me when it should have been the other way around. They called me and apologised for the mistake the next day; I felt bad for the other dude.

• I feel like, to some degree, I'm that guy who always reminds someone of someone they know. Its my lot in life.

I also have a very anglo/british name. At least once a month, I get an email meant for a 'gareth h______' in New Zealand, the UK, Australia, etc. Usually I just delete them, but if it seems serious (one was setting up an interview with the London Times; another was for police related business) I'll write back and tell them to resend.

This all leads up to recently, when I started receiving an email newsletter for the a neighborhood in Glenoggle, Scotland. After five of these, I wrote to the woman to say that I was getting emails for a gareth in Scotland.

So, she wrote him an email to say that she should find someone else to write to about muddy cart paths, and broken wheel barrows (no joke). and, it went straight to me.

So, I figured fuck it. I'll just follow the goings on in Glenoggle. Last I heard (yesterday) the neighborhood association was going through something of a crisis in leadership. If no one takes over for Anne when she goes on an extended hiking trip in May, the whole newsletter and association may fall apart. Really thrilling stuff...I'll be sure to keep you posted.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    So, I figured fuck it. I'll just follow the goings on in Glenoggle. Last I heard (yesterday) the neighborhood association was going through something of a crisis in leadership. If no one takes over for Anne when she goes on an extended hiking trip in May, the whole newsletter and association may fall apart. Really thrilling stuff...I'll be sure to keep you posted.

you can't let the community down, do the city a solid and take the reigns of leadership. Anne would do it for you, and I would do it for Anne

Don't let Glenoggle fall victim to natures path

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The cops once mistook me for a bank robber.

Me too except the dude robbed a Dominos. I had guns drawn on me and all that.
    Meanwhile I see the guy running away through 4 lanes of traffic right behind the cops.
    Crazy.

• So, I figured fuck it. I'll just follow the goings on in Glenoggle. Last I heard (yesterday) the neighborhood association was going through something of a crisis in leadership. If no one takes over for Anne when she goes on an extended hiking trip in May, the whole newsletter and association may fall apart. Really thrilling stuff...I'll be sure to keep you posted.

you can't let the community down, do the city a solid and take the reigns of leadership. Anne would do it for you, and I would do it for Anne

Don't let Glenoggle fall victim to natures path

The thought has crossed my mind...

I figure at this point I have to go there at some point.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    i dont really have any good ones, but people are always confusing me with other dudes. this topic is on my mind because for the past 20 minutes i have been getting random emails from a group of indian peeps (who i dont know) that are planning a night out to see this comedian Russell Peters (never heard of him). i'm literally the only non-indian sounding name on the email list (of like 7 people), yet with like 10 replies, nobody has asked who that american dude is that is getting cc'd. i'm gonna reply to everyone and say that i can't wait because i made out with russell peters after getting really hammered one night. ill update if i get any interesting responses.

Ha, funny coincidence... I have a friend who lived in Deleware for a while during grad school and after grad school. He's 6'9" and looks a lot like KEITH VAN HORN.
    He actually signed an autograph for some kid when he was in NYC visiting.

I had something happen like you did.. I think it happens somehow with GMAIL and emails program filling in the emails for you.. like you want to email david but you end up emailing dana and all sorts of bad stuff can happen especially at work.
    I got in this email thread between two angry gay guys who were talking some dirty talk and also about some elicit drugs. Like "Oh Zach, I'd go down on you if you gave me those 2 oxycontins like you promised". - to paraphrase. I was scared to email them and say "hey take me off this thread!" because I thought maybe someone was trying to E-Frame me (like if I replied back to the thread then it would look like I was the one who was talking back and forth in the thread since the header name just showed 'zach').

Anyways, it was bizarre and I'm still not sure if it was just a random mistake, someone messing with me, or if it was some sort of next-level spam tactic (there was a website posted at some point).

Maybe Russel Peters is trying to stir up some interest in his show??

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    When I was working at Whole Foods last year there was this mentally impoaired kid that would always come in with his mom, and he was convinced that I am Josh Grobin(sp?). He would come down the aisle yelling "Josh! Josh!"

• Not really mistaken identity, but virtually every time I am in a record store shopping a fellow customer will automatically assume that I work there and ask me for help finding something. I'm sure I'm not the only one who this happens to.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I'm not so sure the email ones aren't scams... I just got an email from some random saying he can't wait to meet up with me again at a local bar. There were familiar names on the list but I'll be damned if I can think of who this fella is.

And I woulda hit that broad in LA.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

Her: "He's in Phantom Planet and also is an actor"

Me: "Oh, cool."

Sounds like she goes for the older guys.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    some people think I'm DJ Serg, they usually give me props on his mixtapes or something.

I was at an ISelfDevine show kind of blitzed and saw Matth of anticon. Decided to say hi and see if he had some new shit coming out. we bullshit a little and he tells me how he doesn't make beats anymore so I tell him that's the more retarded decision he's ever made in his life and walk back over to my friends who ask me who I was talking to. I tell them matth and they say that's not matth so I go back over and ask dude. He's tells me he is in fact not matth but thought I was some dude from his math class so he didn't correct me and wondered why I thought he made beats.