Soul Kitchen appreciation (old head related)

2»

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

What about HomeBase?

Never fucked with it, I heard violent stories that made me never want to go to that place.

Isn't it funny how once upon a time, clublife in Manhattan could get you killed? Ahhh...the good old days.

Stretch is a great DJ, it's too bad though the last time I heard him (at Lotus) he was playing Z100 style techno-house remixes of shitty pop and hip-hop tunes. His set sounded VERY Euro, and would've fit in perfectly at a Greek guido club in Astoria. I have no problem selling out and playing all that pop stuff (I do it all the time), but are those Z100 late night Astoria Euro techno-house sounding remixes really that neccessary???

I caught Stretch out here in LA, playing a very "trendy" B-more/electro type set. I enjoyed it - but I was surprised.

I guess I shouldn't expect him to play Akinyle and Cella dwella's b-sides anymore?

• it is funny cause I still have those memories when I go to clubs nowadays in NY. I am not originally from NY, but when I was college in the late 80's early 90's my friends and I would come down to the Red Zone, Homebass, the Shelter, the Muse, and even the Palladium to party. I remember that one of my boys almost got into with some cat about stepping on his foot..it was about to be the wild wild west up in Homebass. Boston vs. New York..lol!!!

The first time I saw Stretch dj was in 91' at Columbia Univer. when I came down for a black student conference. I was like who is this skinny white boy gettin' down on the turntables??!! He was one of the nicest white boys I had ever since with his selection and skill at the time.

Amir

• The first time I saw Stretch dj was

... at a Stetsasonic show at the Rapp Arts Center on the LES circa 1990. Particularly memorable b/c I got there mad early, no one in the house, wandered up to the balcony & there sitting quietly waiting for the show to start was De La Soul (I'm assuming Prince Paul brought them). Very bizarre, seeing the biggest rap group at the time just sitting up in the cheap seats alone in the dark.

But when the room finally filled up "DJ Adrian B" killed it. Did a nice "Misdemeanor"/"Think About It" instro blend, I remember, at the peak hour.

But when the room finally filled up "DJ Adrian B" killed it. Did a nice "Misdemeanor"/"Think About It" instro blend, I remember, at the peak hour.

I've heard that Stretch came up with Moby

They were both Hip-hop Dj's and M.O.B.Y stood for "Mo' Beats Y'all".

• [I've heard that Stretch came up with Moby

I'm gonna go enjoy a cup of vegan tea in homage.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Hahaha (I'm pretty sure you are joking here)

FYI Moby came up DJ'ing parties at MARS. I know people who went, and they say these were really good parties. You can knock him if you want (I do all the time), but it should be known that he didn't come out of nowhere. He was deep "in the scene" if you will, before his next step as a successfull techno/rave producer, then finally pop superstar vegan status.

Hahaha (I'm pretty sure you are joking here).

Acctually i'm not?

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    who else was there when D&^%e punched that girl????

For some reason I thought that happened at one of Stretch's parties at Irving Plaza?

G, what was your favorite edition of Soul Kitchen: Don Hill's (before it was Don Hill's - what was it called? My memory is gone...), S.O.B.'s, Wetlands?

Best f*ckin' party...

I'm pretty sure our favorite dummie stepped to more than one chick back then. The one I'm talking about happen in the basement of Wetlands.

Brothers BBQ (around the corner from SOB's), then Wetlands were my fave spots.

who else was there when D&^%e punched that girl????

is this dude the "scrub" from a certain early "daisy age" record?

• My main spots in high school were MKs, the Building, HomeBase (I don't remember it being crazy...the tunnel was worse), The Muse, Big City Diner, Don Hills, RedZone only a couple of times. I went to SHeets and Pillows only once. Same with Soul Kitchen. I remember some spot on Great Jones where Stretch used to dj. Also some place on Canal and like lafeyette or something like that. I think Marc Ronson and Stretch used to spin there. Body and Soul was incredible, but that was later for me. Same with 2is.

My main spots in high school were MKs, the Building.

i also remember stretch at the great jones spot. It was the only place I ever heard "The Bomb" by Akinyele on a club system.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Reggae Lounge on Canal St. Across from the Gas Station that's no longer there.

The Reggae Lounge on Canal St. Across from the Gas Station that's no longer there.

wasn't that on Bowery? That's the one I went to.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

88/89?

88/89?

i'm thinking 91/92....maybe it moved?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Also some place on Canal and like lafeyette or something like that. I think Marc Ronson and Stretch used to spin there.

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Sweet Thang.

BTW Does anyone remember Hot Peas & Butter? How about Honey Comb Hideout?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also some place on Canal and like lafeyette or something like that. I think Marc Ronson and Stretch used to spin there.

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Sweet Thang.

BTW Does anyone remember Hot Peas & Butter? How about Honey Comb Hideout?

Milo spun at Honecomb Hideout right? Wasnt' that at that place on Lafayette? Sweet Thang was at Den Of Thieves and then moved to the place on Canal Street I think.