International Woman's day: AGL or NAGL?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I say NAGL. Discuss.

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The day has been observed for almost a century, so I suppose there's something to be said for keeping up a tradition. On one hand, I kind of see it as I do "Black History Month" ... why isn't education of women's (and African American/African) history integrated year round into our school curriculum, media, etc? However, I can see the benefits of devoting a day (or month) to specifically focus on a certain thread of civil rights history in unison. Television networks and schools often put together interesting programs that they might not otherwise offer. I just wish it were observed in addition to year round integration into schools/media.

• I keep having to explain to the home office in Peru that we don't observe International Women's Day in the US, so we can't mention it in our US catalogs and web site.

And then I feel bad.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    International Women's Day is AVGL.

• I'm comfortable with it but the dinners and that down here seem to be basically big ol booze ups with crap bands which end up getting messy

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I feel ambivalent about it for these types of reasons:

I kind of see it as I do "Black History Month" ... why isn't education of women's (and African American/African) history integrated year round into our school curriculum, media, etc? However, I can see the benefits of devoting a day (or month) to specifically focus on a certain thread of civil rights history in unison. Television networks and schools often put together interesting programs that they might not otherwise offer. I just wish it were observed in addition to year round integration into schools/media.

and would add that in some parts of the world, this day/week is the only air time women's issues get and it gives groups an opportunity to get together and talk, celebrate, march, network, etc.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I feel ambivalent about it for these types of reasons:

I kind of see it as I do "Black History Month" ... why isn't education of women's (and African American/African) history integrated year round into our school curriculum, media, etc? However, I can see the benefits of devoting a day (or month) to specifically focus on a certain thread of civil rights history in unison. Television networks and schools often put together interesting programs that they might not otherwise offer. I just wish it were observed in addition to year round integration into schools/media.

and would add that in some parts of the world, this day/week is the only air time women's issues get and it gives groups an opportunity to get together and talk, celebrate, march, network, etc.

Right. If it's seen in the context of an opportunity for equality or networking possibility instead of a demeaning Special Girlie Day, I'm down with it. The problem with days, weeks, or months devoted to certain groups is that they can often serve to stress the fact that those groups are Not Normal Like White Folks. As long as PC assists in the leveling of people groups as opposed to insulating them fast in their Minority roles, it's good with me.