any cell phone advice?

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
need one with solid reception and preferably a decent camera. dont need much else.had this for a while,met my needs, but it broke not once, not twice, but thrice on me:my hommie recomends Samsung T509.what yall reccommend?anyone got a used phone that they want to sell me?can i get a used one anywhere?and fuck the TMobile new phone for re-up side deals. im riding this contact out to the corral and deading it.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    what the fuck?!?!??

not one reccomendation? what yall got?
    strutters ive met have been little chattering phone bitches, so you might as well come clean and reveal what you been pressing you rlips up to,ya fuckin punks

sorry about that

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I would just say don't do Sprint, man. They suck.

i will not fuck with them, as per your anti-reccommendation

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Just got an LG VX8300 from Verizon Wireless for both me and moms around December. Great phone so far - better and more consistent reception than my previous Motorola with Cingular plan.

Plus almost every other week moms calls, saying "I love my new phone!"

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I have a Samsung SCH-A670 which has been reliable. It's robust. I've dropped it several times and never had a problem. The camera could be better but I've found after having a camera phone for about two years that you hardly ever use it.

i will look into both of those, fellas. thanks.

i feel more sedate now

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Yeah don't do Sprint. They drove my girlfriend to the point of screaming down the line at customer service.

I have T-Mobile. The only thing that's ever been a problem is getting stuck with some heavy international roaming bills. Although they do have a discount plan for frequent international travellers.

Don't get a Sony Ericsson K750. It's a nice phone but the OS is slow and buggy. Not bad enough that I've replaced mine but an ongoing annoyance.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    stick w/ t-mobile. they were the cheapest, but have bad reception. if you want reception, go w/ verizon. cingular is ass... i'm stuck with this crummy blackjack and a 2 year contract of expensiveness.

yeah, im with tmobile till november. then ima jump. right now i just gotto buy a something so i can get those nameans all straightened out

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    cingular sucks

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    I recommend not getting one.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I recommend getting a tri-band gsm, so when you're overseas, you can still use your phone. I would advise against a cdma or tdma phone for that reason. Just purchase a prepaid SIM in that country to avoid outrageous roaming charges. See if you can get an unlocked phone, so you're not tied into a particular company.

Nokia seems to have the most intuitive menu systems nowadays, but again there's no account for personal taste. Make sure you play around w/ whatever you want to buy first. Looks are one thing, but the os will either make your life pleasurable or a living hell. Syncing is a big thing for me, I recall you use macs right? Make sure the phone is compatible w/ os x and can sync with your address book. Typing #'s in manually is prehistoric, check for bluetooth or data cable compatibility.

I am not a big fan of cameras on phones, they're strictly novelty. Quality on shots are pathetic, I rather just carry my camera with me. Give it a few years, the quality will improve. Remember, at the end of the day, the most important thing about a phone is its ability to handle the basics. Make sure it has good battery life, decent reception, and is EASY to use.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    This...

has been the best phone I've had. And I'm a phone destroyer, for some reason.
    I liked my Motorola Razr for a while, but fuckin' thing broke twice. Tried lots of different brands, but my best experience has been with the Nokia phones.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Keep it as far away from your crotch as possible. Keep your phone pocket away from your bone rocket.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I liked my Motorola Razr for a while, but fuckin' thing broke twice.

i never hear nothing but hate on Razrs. but mine is working fine after about a year. I drop it all the time. it's slow as fuck transitioning between menus and functions though. Nokia got the best menus.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I think it depends on the region. I have had sprint for 2 years. My plan is cheaper than most of my friends' plans, they've never tried to fuck me over, and my service has been great. And they gave me a free phone for upgrading my contract by one year.

I currently have this phone and it's been fine, and it has a camera:

Samsung A640

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i dont know if all the hate towards sprint is true, i suppose it depends on the situation. i have 3 phones w/ sprint and dont have any major greviences w/ them, just the same ones ive had w/ all the other carriers before.

i think service wise, they are all pretty much the same unless you are going into some remote part of the adirondacks, some carriers have good phones others dont so go with what you need.

just dont get locked into a 2year deal and see if they give refunds after the first 30 days.

as for you question on cheap phones, go on craigslist or ebay or even ask a friend... im sure people have old used phones lying around.

ive bought phones off ebay before, but they have never lasted more than 3-4 months. one of the highschool kids i worked with is going to gie me her old phone, so we'll see how that goes. i gueess camera are a little frivolous, but i found them real handy when you dont always have your digital with you.

what would happen to america of cellphone reception came in around 5% of the time for a couple weeks??? would it usher in the apocalypse or what?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

all the providers suck, just go with what phone you want. this joint has been reliable as hell (thin but solid), has an ill camera, and nice mp3 capabilities.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

all the providers suck, just go with what phone you want. this joint has been reliable as hell (thin but solid), has an ill camera, and nice mp3 capabilities.

yeah, it doesn't fuckin matter who you're with, they all piss off people with shitty reception/customer service..... it's just a matter of if you're one of them. i'm with verizon and the've been on point, but i've heard plenty otherwise. same for all companies.