Classic Bollywood Turntable-Related Video (YTR)

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Om Shanti Om - classic that never fails to get the desi crowd open. Check the stage setup -

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This shit is insane on multiple levels.

I'm still watching it for the first time as I type
    this - and new crazy shit keeps happening.

I think he might be lipsynching, though

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    This is

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The first time I played this track at the club, the entire crowd sang along, formed a train, paraded off the floor, out the front door, back in the club, and back onto the dancefloor. Amazing moment.

NEVER THAT SON

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

i saw this movie a long time ago and for some reason i thought rishi kapoor was on roller skates.

you constantly ruin my memories marcosa

goodlooksdawg.

for some reason i thought rishi kapoor was on roller skates.

Please tell me that there sometime in his career, Mithun Chakraboorty did a roller boogie movie.

• This is

mind boggler. gotta track down the film. what's it called?

This is

mind boggler. gotta track down the film. what's it called?

KARZ. Make sure you get the one from the 70s - there was another movie with the same title made in the 90s or 00s.

Here's another Rishi Kapoor classic performance from HUM KISISE KUM NAHEEN. Even more mindboggling IMO, with killer sets, crazy music, beautiful women (that's Zeenat Aman in white - who's the hottie in the red?), and bollywood's baddest villain Amjad Khan making an entrance at the end:

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    who's the hottie in the red?

kaajal karan

• "His master's voice" huh? im pretty from the bollywood streets, did RCA release alot of indian stuff ?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    HMV and EMI Odeon were "the labels" until the late 70s-early 80s, when T Cassette, Polydor, Super Hits, Venus and others hit the scene.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i always wondered...was jt's "sexyback" sampled from "disco dancer"?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I imagine that its been posted up many times, but this clip from Ellam Inba Mayam is one of my favorite things on Earth.

Can anyone suggest a dependable source for Bollywood films? Has anyone ever ordered from IndiaNutHouse.com? Or VeenaiMovies.com (who ask for your passport number ... but VCDs are around $5)? Sometimes crappy websites make me a bit reluctant to punch in the credit card info. Whats good?

I imagine that its been posted up many times, but this clip from Ellam Inba Mayam is one of my favorite things on Earth.

I always looked at that video as just another crazy random bollywood clip, so imagine my surprise when a desi friend of mine sent me this email:

SUBJECT: My current obsession

Kamal Hassan.
    He must be the most versatile actor in Indian cinema.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BfuMabquo8

His dance # in the otherwise cheesy movie Giraftar is really good (his
    moves).

At the time I thought she was joking, but when I was at her place she not only emphasized how talented a classical dancer he was, but showed me another movie he was in to demonstrate that point.

I mean dude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamal_Haasan

Can anyone suggest a dependable source for Bollywood films?

Nehaflix.com is dependable & cheap, especially for the more obscure old movies. The only problem I've had is some of the discs becoming loose in their cases en route, causing minor scratches but that's not really their fault.

Thanks for the info! That list of film credits is enormous! Talk about a work ethic. Anyway, thanks again ... also for the shop link.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    for some reason i thought rishi kapoor was on roller skates.

Please tell me that there sometime in his career, Mithun Chakraboorty did a roller boogie movie.

naw man, i think my childhood memories are all cezanne thanks les verts.

snaglerock... where you living? you safest bet is to find an indian grocery and ask for some titles... they'll order them for you if there not in. and be clear that if hte print if fucked up you aint forking over the cash.

Kamal Hassan incidentally is a good friend of my uncle. he did a sandalwood flick that was 4.5 hours of wtf.

i was looking for the scene from shaan where amitab and shashi are talking about that car. so funny. i found this instead:

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Can anyone suggest a dependable source for Bollywood films?

Nehaflix.com is dependable & cheap, especially for the more obscure old movies. The only problem I've had is some of the discs becoming loose in their cases en route, causing minor scratches but that's not really their fault.

im down for a burn swap. if anyones interested pm a bratha. i got teesri manzil, gumnaam, and sholay of the top of my head. o and this weird tamil movie about a dude who travels through time with a talking monkey covered in tin foil.

snaglerock... where you living? you safest bet is to find an indian grocery and ask for some titles... they'll order them for you if there not in. and be clear that if hte print if fucked up you aint forking over the cash.

I was thinking of doing that, actually. I'm in CT ... there's a great grocery in West Hartford (Cozmo's ... run by a Russian lady, ironically enough) that rents out flicks. I was guessing they might order one up for me ... if you've had luck doing that then I'll definitely hit them up.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i got sholay and don from local indian joints, those are your best bets

For everyone still paying attention, here's some pics from our last Masala Beat Club gig in Chapel Hill, NC a couple of weeks ago. All bollywood & bhangra joints all night. Incredible crowd. And a damn good excuse to post pics of the chick in pink who distracted us DJs to no end. Phono13, you really should have stuck around dude. Jesus Christ.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I all of a sudden feel the need to "dig deep" and bless your gigs with some super duper raer Bolly groove on a sojourn to the land of Duke.

• Yeah dude, chick in the pink dress is bad as hell.

Tell me y'all have heard of Prabhu Deva!!! I must've watched this 5 times in a row when I first saw it, and eventually got the DVD. "India's Michael Jackson", they call him. Dude is nuts. This is from '95:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Jesus Christ.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

i need to come down to nc.