how many languages do you speak?

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
It has really hit me at this point in my life, you really need to have a grasp on at least 2-3 languages to make global power moves. I think Ross is atop the leaderboard here w/ his multi-linguist skills. Just wondering how many languages are you fluent in? Also the backstory as to how you acquired said skill. Finally, what other languages would you want to learn?Personally, I'm fluent in 2.5 (engrish, cantonese, mandarin). It's one of my short term goals, step up my iffy mandarin game.english - acquired in canaduhcantonese - native tongue in HKmandarin - university classesintriguing languages - portuguese, vietnamese (sounds mad harsh)

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I'm fluent in Dutch and English.

Able to get by and hold a conversation in German and French.

Tourist+ level in Italian and Spanish.

I had Greek and Latin lessons in High School which is a firm base for understanding and learning new languages.

If I had to learn a new language I'd choose Chinese.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    native tongue: German

fluent: English (school, university...)

good: French (school)

fair: Japanese (semester abroad), Hindi and Oriya (semester abroad, language courses)

minimal basics only: Danish (semester abroad)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    English (native) and fluent French (Exchange student). A little bit of Russian (3 years high school).

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    native: dutch and luxemburgish
    fluent english and german
    and i speak a bit off french and spanish

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

I have a degree in Russian studies from McGill University. I learnt my Russian there. I also speak French pretty well. Took some Mandarin courses & got some from watching movies. lol. My Mandarin sucks, tho. My Hebrew used to be fluent, but I lost alot of it. My yiddish is pretty good. That's what we speak at home. Its a dying language, but it fascinates me. I've taken some high level university courses in Yiddish lit because it related to my major. I've also participated in Yiddish theater. From my Yiddish, I gained quite a bit of German. I can understand most of it when I hear it spoken. I have a veeery limited understanding of other slavic languages.

peace

h

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i know all the important words in Russian.

those that designate delicious foods i want to be passed; those having to do with banya (russian baths); "I'm sleepy"; and of course, the ever popular, "I (you,he,she,it,they) farted" and there is even a special word for when your fart is particularly smelly as opposed to just garden-variety smelly.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    paging ross:

are there any CDs you'd suggest to look into for learning some mandarin basics? i know nothing can outdo moving someplace to learn the language, but i need some prep.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Obama English & Sharpton Ebonics

• _JULIUS__JULIUS_ 76 Posts
    French, a bit of english and a little bit of spanish.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I speak good German and enough French and Portuguese to get in trouble.

• paging ross:

are there any CDs you'd suggest to look into for learning some mandarin basics? i know nothing can outdo moving someplace to learn the language, but i need some prep.

I'm never really been into learning languages via tapes or CDs, but that's just me (I've heard great things about the Rosetta Stone software). My recommendation would be to take a class. I'm guessing that there are probably some very affordable night classes in NYC at a community college. That's how I learned Cantonese.

Of course, you'll have to practice *a lot* especially since Mandarin has 4 tones. There's no substitute for speaking early and often. You may be surprised at how willing people are to help you out when they realize that, for once, an American is attempting to learn something about someone else's culture.

Then again, if you're just tryin' to holler at Aser's cousins, you might be puttin' too much on it.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Then again, if you're just tryin' to holler at Aser's cousins, you might be puttin' too much on it.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiitttt.

his family was very nice to me. plus, that's crossing the line! ask dude himself, i was totally not focused while we were there.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    native English
    conversational Dutch

and i was ok with Swedish, but the last time i spoke it was 10 years ago so all i can remember are the swear-words.

fy fan.

• brothasbrothas 22 Posts
    DUNN LANGUAGE.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Get in line! I want a little of that Triad kingpin $$$$$

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    italian first,english second, spanish has been a work in progress, but i can easily get by with the [storchism]latin mamis[/storchism].

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    italian first,english second, spanish has been a work in progress, but i can easily get by with the [storchism]latin mamis[/storchism].

You forgot to mention the Philly School of Giberish.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

4 Languages

English
    Irish
    French
    German

although the French & German arent what they used to be....I'd love to give Japanese a shot some day

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

You forgot to mention the Philly School of Giberish.

definitely dont got that like wes and cosmo

wes is just straight gibberish now

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Yo,

I have a degree in Russian studies from McGill University. I learnt my Russian there. I also speak French pretty well. Took some Mandarin courses & got some from watching movies. lol. My Mandarin sucks, tho. My Hebrew used to be fluent, but I lost alot of it. My yiddish is pretty good. That's what we speak at home. Its a dying language, but it fascinates me. I've taken some high level university courses in Yiddish lit because it related to my major. I've also participated in Yiddish theater. From my Yiddish, I gained quite a bit of German. I can understand most of it when I hear it spoken. I have a veeery limited understanding of other slavic languages.

peace

h

My wife worked at the National Yiddish Book Center in college. Now located on the campus of our alma mater.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i took spanish from junior high through college, but i never use it so i feel it slowly slipping away.

did anyone see that story on 60 minutes on that savant dude who learned icelandic in a week?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    for em its weird. technically I qualified as an ESL student in public schools due to ASL being the language used in my household. But English was just as apparent. I do have a bit of a deaf mans accent though, (over emphasiing certain letters and sounds).

Went to Hebrew school for 7 years so I got that language bubbling in me, I'd say I'm fluent but I barely remember half of it. Although when I went to Israel I had a total Bart Simpson moment and after 6 days there I caught myself speaking with people on the streets with no problem.

I can understand yiddish and most spanish but cna't speak either for shit.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    A couple of weeks ago I was thinking how cool it would be if there were a public language channel. I was imagining it having different courses at different levels at different times of the day. Like beg. Spanish at 10am mon, wed, and fri. Intermediate at noon, advanced at 3pm etc. It would be kinda like a online college course but a public station and therefore free.

I guess a cable language channel would be fine as well but I havent had cable since 93'. You would have to be very strict if you were going to take it seriously. I guess when you take a class and are paying for it your more likely to finish. I just wish learning a second language would be more of a priority in the U.S.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

peace

h

My wife worked at the National Yiddish Book Center in college. Now located on the campus of our alma mater.

Yiddish literature is criminally slept on.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Yo,

peace

h

I've always wanted to check that place out. I don't speak no galut ghetto Yiddish, but the buildings in which this library is housed look fresh.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It has really hit me at this point in my life, you really need to have a grasp on at least 2-3 languages to make global power moves. I think Ross is atop the leaderboard here w/ his multi-linguist skills. Just wondering how many languages are you fluent in? Also the backstory as to how you acquired said skill. Finally, what other languages would you want to learn?

Personally, I'm fluent in 2.5 (engrish, cantonese, mandarin). It's one of my short term goals, step up my iffy mandarin game.

english - acquired in canaduh
    cantonese - native tongue in HK
    mandarin - university classes

intriguing languages - portuguese, vietnamese (sounds mad harsh)

I thought you also spoke the language of LOVE???

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Obama English

You must "speak so well!"

I took a class in college on Black Vernacular English, as the linguists like to call it. It was surprisingly tough, so it goes without saying that no one got a 'B' just for being black.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    It has really hit me at this point in my life, you really need to have a grasp on at least 2-3 languages to make global power moves. I think Ross is atop the leaderboard here w/ his multi-linguist skills. Just wondering how many languages are you fluent in? Also the backstory as to how you acquired said skill. Finally, what other languages would you want to learn?

Personally, I'm fluent in 2.5 (engrish, cantonese, mandarin). It's one of my short term goals, step up my iffy mandarin game.

english - acquired in canaduh
    cantonese - native tongue in HK
    mandarin - university classes

intriguing languages - portuguese, vietnamese (sounds mad harsh)

I thought you also spoke the language of LOVE???

I think you're confusing aser with yours truly.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    When I was going to high school in France, on my first day of school I had a funny experience in English class. Teacher was walking around handing out a test to see where the students were at. I filled it out in 5 mins and turned in, told the teacher I was an American. She came back to my desk 5 min later with several red mark where I had made errors.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Yo,

peace

h

I've always wanted to check that place out. I don't speak no galut ghetto Yiddish, but the buildings in which this library is housed look fresh.

My wife worked there when it was still in a old wharehouse in Holyoke. I guess the center is supposed to look like a traditional Shtetl. I think we're gonna visit around Thanksgiving.