what would the mixtape you would made for yr kids?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i was thinking...i aint a pappa yet, but when that day comes, i think one of the biggest contributions to communication u can make with your children/babies is music. before they can walk and engage in a conversation with you, they WILL understand music. with the minimal musical theory i've learned about a lot of things that sound "happy" are almost for a scientific reason (i.e. the elimination of dischordant notes/chords) which is why those nursery rhymers we heard as kids were so appealing.So what will you play for your kids? i know that music my parents played when i was growing up as early as age 5 resonated with me (from the beatles to cliff richard to minnie ripperton). so have you ever put thought into this?i know for myself i'd include these on the list, based on how "cheery" they sound:groove armada- at the riverbobby mcferrin- don' worry be happysantos and johnny-sleep walkerprince paul ft woodsworth-prince paul's bubble partykool and the gang - little childrenlisa lisa and the cult jam - head to toet.r.o.yshanice - i love your smileGoan tuneswhat you playing for the kids??

Comments

• I'm actually dealing with this situation right now. I have a 2 month old son. My wife and I played all kinds of stuff while she was pregnant and believe it or not he can fall asleep to music playing quite loudly versus no music at all. I find that he's really content when I have jazz or big band on.....but he also will sit through almost anything else. He is quite the mellow little guy. I do play a lot of ambient electronic music ie: Clue to Kalo, Kruder and Dorfmeister, The Late Night Chill series is real nice too. I'm hoping he really grabs onto music and has crazy love and knowledge for it, He will only want to learn from here on out.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Crack Rap !!!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    bobby mcferrin- don' worry be happy

I wouldn't play that song for my daughter if it was the last song on earth!
    C'mon man don't you want to cultivate a seed with some taste?

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    3 Is The Magic Number....Yes It Is!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    3 Is The Magic Number....Yes It Is!

My daughter claimed The Multiplication Rock lp as her
    own some time ago.

My Hero Zero is her favorite!

• My wife and i gave our 2 year old daughter a turntable and a
    stack of disney book and records for christmas. She kinda got
    into them at first but soon got bored, so we pulled out some
    of our doubles and scratchy 45's and gave her those. It was mostly
    disco and 60's-80's rock and pop that included Prince,
    Earth, Wind & Fire, The Sylvers and more. We noticed she really
    liked the disco but her staple favourites were Rapper's Delight,
    1999 & Controversy by Prince, Cameo's Word Up and September.
    Every time we're invited to her bedroom tea parties these
    are standard spins.... and lately she seems to have taken
    a liking to Material Girl, Honkey Tonk Women, Hot Stuff and
    Thurston Knudson's Alibi For Drums.

It's come to the point where she now asks "What's this?" when she
    hears me playing a tune she hasn't heard, follwed by an "I like this one" statement of approval.

So i actually know what songs she wants on a mix tape cause she tells me.

Kids are so cute.....

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Cheebahaze: that story is too cute.

My little guy is all about Reggae. I listen to mostly soul at home and he loves Curtis too, but reggae is #1.

Vinyl Vultures put together a great kids cd, ill have to dig it out again

• I've tried reggae, but i think she likes more uptempo
    sounds cause of all those kids shows. Hi-5, Wiggles etc....

I was playing a Prince Buster comp in the car the other
    day and she was digging on that. Ska is more my thing too...
    But i'm sure she'll grasp reggae soon enough.

What's the VV disc called??... I'll have to look out for it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

'Its fun to Listen and Learn'. Put together by all round nice guy Ian Townsend. 35 tracks, my little man loves it.

check your PMs.

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    what you playing for the kids??

I am proud that the first words of my daughter I have on video from over a year ago are "Jaaaazzzzz, Funk, Soooouuuul, Afro!, Reggae" which was something I had been telling her only a couple of times before she started repeating it. Now she is 2 1/2 years old and that still pretty much sums up her taste, unless she comes running up to me and demands" Ballett music!" which is her term for anything Classical.
    Currently, Reggae works really well with her, especially, the recent Kings Of Reggae compilation on BBE is on constant repeat. Interestingly, the second disc with dance hall tracks wins, current favourite being Fatty Boom Boom.... Which sums up the problem when playing music to your kids: Lyrics I found myself listening more to instrumental stuff for that very reason...
    Tonight's "Daddy, let's dance" selection of choice was Rob Life's Catching Grooves which caught her attention because of the cover, but won her approval because of the music. Her comment: "That's mine!"

Amongst the stuff that has been produced especially for Kids, I can really strongly recommend the
    Baby Loves Jazz series. I had heard about it last year because it was mentioned in a Daptone newsletter. Honestly, I think the one with Sharon Jones (Ella The Elephant) is the weaker one of the currently available four book+CD.

There is also a "Baby Loves Jazz: Go Baby Go!" CD-only, which I would not strongly recommend.
    There are four more books coming out in the next few months which I've already got pre-ordered.
    Furthermore I am looking forward to the yet unscheduled Baby Loves Hip Hop produced by Prince Paul and Baby Loves Salsa featuring the Spanish Harlem Orchestra.
    what would the mixtape you would made for yr kids?
    Soulstrut regular Cosmo Baker as well as many other DJs have contributed to many parties as well as mix CD for Baby Loves Disco

Now here's a question for all you music obsessed parents: How and when do you introduce your child to learning an instrument?[/b] Mine has access to a keyboard (gets a kick out of hammering the keys and effects buttons), talking drums, tablas, congas and bongos (none of which really get het attention).
    Has anyone had experience learning or teaching violin, piano or any other instruments with the Suzuki method?[/b]

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

My god daughter and I get down to this. She also loves Curtis "move on up" which is a plus since it hardly ever leaves my turntable.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I recommend when your kid turn ten, let him hear Spice 1...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    No kids in my life, but after watching Samoan Wedding[/b], there may be hope yet.

I know it would have to include The Spinners' "I'll Be Around", that one song by The Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose, and Love's "Doggone".

ADDITION:
    And this:

I have the LL one as well, didn't know Shaggy did one too.

• Kid creole and the coconuts

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Miles "Kind of Blue" is easy to play on sundays or any other day, with the a mix of Steel Pulse - "True Democracy" on saturday mornings. J Dilla "Vintage" has been getting good results, because of the lack of vocals.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Some things that I was into as a Kid : The Cars, Eurythmics, Talking Heads, Go-Gos, Heart, the Police.....'do, do, do', what kid can't get down with that? I think all of these plus maybe even some Genesis...yeah I said it.

Doo-wop and 50's and 60's soft pop would also be good to get in early. All the Dick Clark Party jams, do kids know about this stuff anymore?

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    Two things:

1.[/b]

'Its fun to Listen and Learn'. Put together by all round nice guy Ian Townsend. 35 tracks, my little man loves it.

Ian would like to clarify:
    " [color:blue] Much as I'd love to take credit for the great kid's compilation that is 'It's Fun To Listen And Learn'; the compiler was actually Sergio Paradise, a VV-er based in Australia who was working with contributions from members of the Vinyl Vulture forum. I merely burned and distributed it." [/color]

This is NOT a good kids record:[/b]

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    my daughter likes...

we're gonna be friends - white stripes
    all day long - new order
    jolene - dolly parton
    dance to the music - sly

4 off the top