Underappreciated Marvin Gaye LPs

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned - can't see any of the images above.

I LOVE 'Seek and You Shall Find' off this record.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    While not touted by music cats and regular folk as a favorite, most people i know purchased this album on the strength of Sexual Healing,when i debuted. So i wouldnt call it an "under the radar" album.

But if u play something besides SexHeal, from the LP at a party most kids will shrug their shoulders.
    The radio didnt and hasnt sustained any other single/song from this album. U might hear some other joint on a late night quiet storm set.

This is what I mean by under-appreciated, though. Sure, it was the first bonafide hit he'd had in about five years and, like you say, it's not an obscurity by any means. But it's never really been ranked up there with some of his other late-era albums, and I've never been able to figure out why that is. It's a pretty solid end-to-end listen, and shit like "My Love Is Waiting" and "Rockin' After Midnight" are gems. "'Til Tomorrow" is as good a ballad as almost anything he did during the 70's.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    While not touted by music cats and regular folk as a favorite, most people i know purchased this album on the strength of Sexual Healing,when i debuted. So i wouldnt call it an "under the radar" album.

But if u play something besides SexHeal, from the LP at a party most kids will shrug their shoulders.
    The radio didnt and hasnt sustained any other single/song from this album. U might hear some other joint on a late night quiet storm set.

This is what I mean by under-appreciated, though. Sure, it was the first bonafide hit he'd had in about five years and, like you say, it's not an obscurity by any means. But it's never really been ranked up there with some of his other late-era albums, and I've never been able to figure out why that is. It's a pretty solid end-to-end listen, and shit like "My Love Is Waiting" and "Rockin' After Midnight" are gems. "'Til Tomorrow" is as good a ballad as almost anything he did during the 70's.

The tinny production was kinda stiff to me when it came out compared to other R&B at the time.
    I can listen to it now and be like - "ooh - singin over dirty drum machine's!!!" Plus there's no real club banger on there. Sexual Healing is an across the board hit, but there was no follow up.
    I dont think dude was trying to make this some 4 singles album w/ videos. He just wanted to get back in the game. And he proved to the public and his fans that he can still blow. This album was a big deal or lets say a triumph, especially w/ Hip Hop on the horizon.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    shit like "My Love Is Waiting" and "Rockin' After Midnight" are gems.

"My Love Is Waiting" is a great lost hit that never was IMO. One of my favorite M Gaye songs.

SG

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    "in our lifetime" has some great moments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    One side of Marvin Gaye that I feel is underappreciated is his abilities as an instrumentalist. People think of him first and foremost as a singer/songwriter (naturally), but when he gets down on some or all of the instruments, (like on "Far Cry") it's just amazing to me. His piano playing was soulful and I love his freaky approach to synthesizers.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Hands down ... Here My Dear. It would easily be on a short list of desert island discs for me and one of few albums that I can listen to on repeat and never tire of.

Believe it or not, I just bought this album two years ago. It amazes me that I can listen to the CD (yes, the CD) all the way through without skipping a track - which is something you'd half expect with a sprawling concept album that was originally a 2-record set. But no, pound for pound there ain't one wasted minute on this LP.

Goin' in and out my clothes
    Puttin' powder up my nose
    Runnin' around with midnight hoes
    That chapter of my life is closed[/b]

Underappreciated? It definitely was when it came out, but not now - the legend has blown up over time.

haha.
    I just "found" this record last year, too. And it is
    And, as if by fate, i keep running into super clean, super cheap copies of it on vinyl and I always snatch them up to give to those who i think might appreciate it.

• everything except "whats going on" is underappreciated by the general public

everything except "whats going on" is underappreciated by the general public

I disagree.

I Want You & Lets Get It On get love on th regular.

Somewhere in the middle is.....

The Trouble Man Soundtrack.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Nobody ever mention this great live : and what a band !

.... the intro to the funkiest-version-ever of Innercity with the ostinato by Joe Sample, worths alone the whole album

I think London is the better overall Live set.
    But the LIVe u showed has the definitive live version of Distant Lover.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

the orchestra in the london album is actually tighter than the '74 live recording (simply check the intro) but the song selections is way too soft for my tastes...

the orchestra in the london album is actually tighter than the '74 live recording (simply check the intro) but the song selections is way too soft for my tastes...

I feel you. But the Nostalgia set in London sons the Oakland's oldskool set.

Plus...London Live has....

GOT TO GIVE IT UP.

Not sure if this was mentioned - can't see any of the images above.

I LOVE 'Seek and You Shall Find' off this record.

I Got To Get To California & That's The Way Love Is are very good as well.

• I think London is the better overall Live set.

I feel you. But the Nostalgia set in London sons the Oakland's oldskool set.

Plus...London Live has....

GOT TO GIVE IT UP.