Typography Dudes, a forum?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I remember someone posted a link to a forum about typography. I need to identify a font for work. Anyone know the forum? Google gave up nothing.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    wow, a typography forum would be even nerdier than soulstrut!

• better yet..

http://typophile.com/forums

(i think Mike 2600 posted this before..thanks. Nerdy..yes...but damn im a sucker for type talk)

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I need to identify a font for work. Anyone know the forum? Google gave up nothing.

post it up as an image, i may be able to help...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I need to identify a font for work. Anyone know the forum? Google gave up nothing.

post it up as an image, i may be able to help...

GLOOM:

I'm not the original poster, but I've got some fonts I need identified. Can you help?:

and

Thanks in advance!

SG

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

this ones Helvetiva, expanded to be thicker.

the other one...either hand drawn, or something ive never seen before...ill keep my eyes open.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

that record is BONKERS good

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i don't think that font is helvetica.. that G is bit differant.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i don't think that font is helvetica.. that G is bit differant.

ya if you look at the helvetiva 'G' though, it has that "arrow" feel to it, just a minor alteration to get it into that feel, even a simple expand may give you that effect, the only thing youd really have to go in and fix is to shorten the middle bar on the 'E'

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

this ones Helvetiva, expanded to be thicker.

the other one...either hand drawn, or something ive never seen before...ill keep my eyes open.

no no no on both answers.

but I can't help with the names

can anybody identify this?

• this ones Helvetiva, expanded to be thicker.

Definitely not Helvetica.

• can anybody identify this?

Motter Ombra.

as used here:

can anybody identify this?

Motter Ombra.

as used here:

ok. now you must send me this font.
    thx.
    DC

• A homie of mine is working on licensing a version of it with the family
    of the guy who created it. Other than that, I don't think it exists.

A homie of mine is working on licensing a version of it with the family

yeah. I did 10 seconds of research to find that it has never been digitized.

let me know when your homie licenses it. I will pay.

DC

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    A homie of mine is working on licensing a version of it with the family

Is there a Dante Carfagna equal in this font game shit that has typography wetmouths all shook?

Wetmout: I hear dude has like, hecka fonts.
    Poptart: Man, I hear he met the dude who designed Motter Ombra.
    Lil' Dude: I'd absolutely kill to see what's active in his suitcase right now.

• Wetmout: I hear dude has like, hecka fonts.
    Poptart: Man, I hear he met the dude who designed Motter Ombra.
    Lil' Dude: I'd absolutely kill to see what's active in his suitcase right now.

ha! as i was typing that "with the family of the guy..." part i was thinking of that.

like some 70 year old graphic designer from the late 60s on the phone with some Egon-type character like:
    "Yo, we'd like to reissue your typeface."
    "What? Kids today are sampling my work? Why are they interested in that old stuff?"

i'm always trying to come up on old type specimen books or Letraset sheets of old typefaces that never got digified.

check out DS motter style.
    http://www.fontface.com/fonts/d.html

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The Leonard Cohen font is definitely not Helvetica. Closer to Bureau Grotesque (Seven Nine) but still not quite there.

The other one isn't handmade 'cos it's on the Kim Weston KIM KIM KIM album too. Don't know the name though.

• it's close but kinda fucked up.
    look at it in comparison to the Willie Dynamite lettering.

it's close but kinda fucked up.
    look at it in comparison to the Willie Dynamite lettering.

i know.
    i think both might be slightly different to my initial jpg. dude who digitized this needs better curve control too

• while we are on the subject, anyone care to share fonts via email,snail mail,etc? I will make it worth your while.

also..I just saw that FontFace.com..and I know there is FreeFont.com(is that the name?) and I know these are free/shareware downloadable fonts. Due to a recent computer crash..I lost all my shit..so I am trying to build a new collection of nice fonts. If anyone could be of assistance, it would be greatly appreciated! Or..if you just know of a hot site..you are welcome to pass that one too. Usually when I google a free font search it pulls of a lot of bullshit..so maybe posting that here might be more of a help.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    while we are on the subject, anyone care to share fonts via email,snail mail,etc? I will make it worth your while.

also..I just saw that FontFace.com..and I know there is FreeFont.com(is that the name?) and I know these are free/shareware downloadable fonts. Due to a recent computer crash..I lost all my shit..so I am trying to build a new collection of nice fonts. If anyone could be of assistance, it would be greatly appreciated! Or..if you just know of a hot site..you are welcome to pass that one too. Usually when I google a free font search it pulls of a lot of bullshit..so maybe posting that here might be more of a help.

www.dafont.com

i still got you on the snail mail tip though...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    The Leonard Cohen font is definitely not Helvetica. Closer to Bureau Grotesque (Seven Nine) but still not quite there.

The other one isn't handmade 'cos it's on the Kim Weston KIM KIM KIM album too. Don't know the name though.

ya its not helevetica, but you could get there from that font... that parliment looks pretty good, another one close:

FF Bau LF

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts

try the heaviest weight ("muhammad ali") of champion gothic and you'll have a match. it's all about the "G"s and "E"s in that set.

http://www.typography.com/catalog/champion/index.html

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

bingo bango

• The "D" in Champion Gothic is too wide and the "L" is too slender.
    Very close though (and nice typeface too).

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
    Can you ID the 2 fonts on?

Thanks in advance.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Can you ID the 2 fonts on?

Thanks in advance.

The bottom one is probably from the Antique Olive family. The top one is probably from the Crudely Traced From The Swapmeet Heat-Transfer Letters On Biz' Mesh Cap family.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    The top one is probably from the Crudely Traced From The Swapmeet Heat-Transfer Letters On Biz' Mesh Cap family.

is there an Open Type version?