THE OFFICIAL NBA FINALS THREAD

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I think the game is tomorrow night, 9 PM EST.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think the game is tomorrow night, 9 PM EST.

Damn, your right.

• Options
    this series is about as exciting as watching paint dry seriously. didn't even watch the second half. 69 points come on ?

why couldn't it have been the heat versus the suns ? that would have been fun...

does anyone else think tayshaun prince is a weird looking dude? my dad calls him fin head cause his head is real narrow and long like the fin of a shark...he has like the thinnest head i have ever seen.

Let me guess - you never played competitive basketball? If the NBA and other sports media hadn't glorified offense/the dunk to with the eclusion of everything else, maybe some would enjoy a block, a box out and contested shots as much as the dunk.

I can see how non-basketball might not like this series, but to anyone who's palyed the game in a remotely serious level - it's the shit.

K.

• Options
    Manu's left handed dunk in the 4th quarter was sick! He took over the game in the 2nd half. He is the real deal. Billups is underated, I like how he froze up Horry with the behind the back ball fake.

yea that fake-behind-the-back was nice. but anyone with big-ass hands could do that with ease (i.e. NBA players)

If your hands aren't big enough, I've seen guys cradle it on their hip...problem is it can get stuck there while you travel. Best solution for that was Iversions' - used his off hand to push it back.

K.

Yeah, cats are programmed for the obvious/spectacular. I played organized ball, and I can appreciate this style of play. There are cats who play and prefer Showtime style. The good running teams of the past still played D when it counted.
    Phoenix realized that shit too late. A lot of poeple dont really have the attention span for a grind out subtle style of game. Its all good---- no goofy Shaq poeple--exnewlakerfanswholefttheBullsafterjordanlookin'forthepopdynastyteamtoroutfor Bitches. Its the weedout.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I can see how non-basketball might not like this series, but to anyone who's palyed the game in a remotely serious level - it's the shit.

agreed.

• you need to introduce leagues with relegations etc. into your sports, it'd make it more interesting

you need to introduce leagues with relegations etc. into your sports, it'd make it more interesting

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

ummmmmm....no?

The only upside about the game right now is the chorus of anti-San Antonio dudes barking in the midst of the silent crowd when they go the free throw line.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ginobli to bowen

MANU GINOBILI: WILL OFFICIALLY BECOME THE NEW "GREAT WHITE HYPE"

Finals MVP = Manu

one more solid game out of him and i think he should get it. He is the catalyst to that team, and he is reaching his prime.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    THE PISTONS HAD NO CHANCE LAST NIGHT....THANKS TO MR DAN CRAWFORD & BERNIE FRYER

16 FTs VS 34 FTs...and keep in mind none of these free throws were from intentional fouls at the end of the game...how the hell does Rip shoot 5 free throws and Manu "the new Tom Chambers" Ginobili shoot 13 (HALF OF HIS POINTS WERE FROM THE LINE).....

what i watched last night was shameful ....the Pistons were getting BLASTED in the lane...NO CALLS...if Manu "the next best thing since...." Ginobili was breathed on too hard *WHISTLE* FOUL.....

OF COURSE THIS IS NOT WHY THEY LOST THE GAME !!!!! ....BUT....whenever they made a nice run they would call a weak foul ...like when they cut it to 8 in the 4th and they called that bullshit on Tayshaun when Ginobili pushed HIM off..KILLED THE MOMENTUM...GAME OVER

but none of this excuses the fact that Larry Brown is stubborn....PARKER CAN'T GUARD BILLUPS!!!!!! so instead of running that nasty ass pick & roll (Which San Antonio defends better than any team in the history of the NBA)....let Chauncey post up like you did when you cut the lead to 8 in the 4th qtr....put Tayshaun at the top of the key....Rasheed & RIP on the weak side...when the double team comes KICK IT OUT..SWING IT AROUND ...and *WHAP!* DRILL EM'....simple & easy

Detroit will win games 3 and 5

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    THE PISTONS HAD NO CHANCE LAST NIGHT....THANKS TO MR DAN CRAWFORD & BERNIE FRYER

I've been saying this since game one.

I also find it utterly bizarre that every sports page and magazine has devoted ink to Manu. A conspiracy is afoot...

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

16 FTs VS 34 FTs...and keep in mind none of these free throws were from intentional fouls at the end of the game...how the hell does Rip shoot 5 free throws and Manu "the new Tom Chambers" Ginobili shoot 13 (HALF OF HIS POINTS WERE FROM THE LINE).....

In defense of Manu, Tom Chambers NEVER passed the ball and he NEVER played defense. He also had a mullett and was from Utah as well.

• I agree with Ed, especially about Chauncey on Parker/officiating/ and DET just getting outplayed. I think Det wins on Tues, but it doesn't look for good for them though, I won't say it, but looks like ***y a** *o***' **s*.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I agree with Ed, especially about Chauncey on Parker/officiating/ and DET just getting outplayed. I think Det wins on Tues, but it doesn't look for good for them though, I won't say it, but looks like ***y a** *o***' **s*.

Come on people, do you really think the calls are that biased? Conspiracy? BS. Calls always come around, officials aren't biased. Some nights calls seem like they are in your favor, sometimes they aren't. But one thing is almost always true: when you are losing it seems like they are never in your favor, and you are infinitely more aware of them. Comparing the number of times Manu went to the line v. Billups is moot, Manu takes it to the hole and draws contact almost everytime, it is his style and he has become very successful at it. Good playing has always involved knowing how to get calls in your favor- make the ref see what you feel. Maybe Billups should practice this, or maybe he just isn't getting fouled.

Manu is getting press right now b/c is he is the most aggressive player in the playoffs, and especially in this series, just wait till nest year- he's gonna be scary after a summer of rest. However, he will NOT be the MVP, nor should he be. As long as Tim is playing, he will be MVP, just like Shaq on the Lakers, Kobe played awesome, but you just can't understate the impact Tim or Shaq have on opponents' defensive game. Not to mention Tim's stats stretch across the board. Tim is the most unselfish star possibly ever- anybody wanna argue that? I'm sure there's at least one of you out there.

That's all I got for now, the Spurs' playing is doing just about enough talking for me right now.

Spurs in 6.

• I think Detroit lost because they got outplayed.

Yes, I think Detroit is an unfavored team by NBA officials.

I was aggreeing with Ed about Chauncey on Parker, not Manu. Maybe comparing Rip Hamilton to Manu is more plausable.

If he keeps it up, I think Manu will be the MVP.

Are you a Spurs fan, or just a Detroit hater?

Detroit looks bad, but Ill have to see how they look on their homecourt. If they blow out the Spurs, everyone will reevaluate the series. Im not crying about the officials at all. The Spurs are at home. Is called homecourt Advantage.

Haha, nah, but what I did hear during the game was that there was an entirely different crew of refs on the court last night than Game 1. That means that any way the players are used to doing their thing was being viewed and called according to a different set of standards. If I'm to make any attempt to explain what happened last night, it's that Detroit came out as aggressive as they were in Game 1 but just got called on it more easily because of that.

I knew we were in trouble when I turned my back to check on dinner after tip-off and saw that we were down by 8 by the time I turned around.

So, here's to getting our butts kicked! And another toast for a Game 3 victory at home.

Im afraid that the Pistons' offense isnt adequate enough to balance their defensive intensity. There are times when the Pistons just dont score within their own sets, relying on the defense to create the offense. The Spurs offense is so precise and well oiled. Defense crates offense but the Pistons' defense isnt working like it did against the Artest-less Pacers and the Wade-less Heat.
    I think Im babbling.

However, he will NOT be the MVP, nor should he be. As long as Tim is playing, he will be MVP, just like Shaq on the Lakers, Kobe played awesome, but you just can't understate the impact Tim or Shaq have on opponents' defensive game.

no doubt it's hard to call who is truly the MVP. Everyone was a factor in the two Spurs wins, but you look at those moments when shit was stagnant on the offensive end, and Manu would cut right through 3 defenders and finish or kick it out to Horry or Bowen who would have wide-open looks. To me his steal, which led to a 3pt. play in the fourth, sealed the deal. I believe he was the reason why the Pistons didn't come back to win. He plays with a lot of intensity on the defensive end as well.

and i agree with Ed, Detroit needs to utilize the mismatches better. and they also need to attack the rim more.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Pistons in 7 87-84....

Oh wait until they play at home, homes!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

I knew we were in trouble when I turned my back to check on dinner after tip-off and saw that we were down by 8 by the time I turned around.

I am a Spurs fan, not a Detroit hater. I don't think I have hated on Detroit in any way other than the fact that they are less good than the Spurs. I actually like Detroit better than other east teams because they play defense really well.

And I don't know if you should have thought you were in trouble at this point unless you have no faith in your team. Spurs were down by more in the first quarter first game and came back, you don't think Detroit can do the same? Me neither.

Go Spurs GO

• I am a Spurs fan, not a Detroit hater.

well that's cool then...congrats on the series so far.

i just don't like haters that justify their distaste for detroit essentially "just because."

The Spurs are at home. Is called homecourt Advantage.

Champions advantage has always overuled home court advantage in the NBA...This is the first year i can remember where the Champion did not get the benefit of the officiating....

i do not believe there is a conspiracy to make the Spurs champion..i just believe most officials and NBA old timers are in love with all things San Antonio because "they play the game the right way" therefore they are given the benefit of the doubt 9 out of 10 times ....

How to defeat the San Antonio Spurs[/b]

1)Post their point guards(Parker & Udrich)....this is the most obvious advantage Detroit has.....Leave Rip,Prince on the weak side and have Rasheed make the entry pass. This will force Duncan to double team leaving Wallace open for the 3 point shot.....or swing it around to exploit the mismatch created by a big man on Rip or Prince after the double team switch...

2)Force Ginobili to his right...dude has no handles ..force him to his weaker hand

3)Sag off Parker on defense..force his jumper (it's very inconsistent) and the FIRST time he gets in the lane BEN WALLACE NEEDS TO BLAST HIS ASS....forget about the flagrant foul...HE'S FRENCH ..THEREFORE HE IS SOFT.

4)DO NOT LEAVE BRUCE BOWEN....force him to dribble...he is awful off the dribble...FORCE HIM TO DRIBBLE THE BASKETBALL

5)if you must run pick & roll ...run it off Ginobili and Parker

6)double team Duncan off of your guards not your big men....Duncan turns low when he makes his post move (ALWAYS)....he always brings the ball low..when he does have your guards there

7)when they run pick & roll with Duncan...his man should jump the pick early forcing the pass to Duncan...which will force him to put the ball on the floor...which he is no good at or he'll take that nasty jump shot

8)Ben needs to sag off Nazr and play for long rebounds & help defend Ginobili's penetration...he's too close to the basket....the reason he's not rebounding is not effort ...he's just not in the right position to grab the long rebounds off the 3 pt shots...

good points made Ed. But those Spurs move the ball SO WELL. no passes are wasted. I haven't seen a smoother running half-court set than this in a long time.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Larry Brown needs to give J**** a call, seriously