Your collecting habit

HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
What kind of record collector are you? Do you keep most of the stuff you find? Do you sell a lot of records? Do you keep doubles? I need to sell a lot of the records that I find. I'm still a student, so I'm poor. I've just been thinking about the records I had to sell during the last few years. Kinda scary. But afterall, it didn't hurt too bad. Actually, I don't really mind selling some of my records from time to time, but I've met some people, who would never sell any of their records. Even if they were in financial trouble. One guy even leaves sealed copies sealed. He bought several 100+ Euro records from me, although he has several sealed copies of the very same LPs at home. Kinda crazy IMO.So what kind of collector are you? Is it hard for you to sell? Do you buy all the records that you like? How much money do you spend on records? I definitely spend way more money on records than on food and my rent.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm a perfectionist. My collection just does not grow, cuz I weed out my crap records often.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Yeah, the bulk of my paycheck goes to records. The main differences from when I was in college and now:

* In high school/college, I bought a lot of CDs. By the end of this year, just about all of my CDs should be sold off except for a couple boxsets, local/regional acts, and CD-R/tour stuff, and mixes. From now on, if it's something nationally distributed, it's either vinyl or MP3/FLAC.

* In college, I pretty much bought novelty/dollar bin shit in bulk. I still do that a certain extent now, but am much more likely to spend $15-50 each on used LPs instead.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What kind of record collector are you? Do you keep most of the stuff you find? Do you sell a lot of records?

Yeah, usually promo CD's I get at work, but occasionally vinyl I don't want...what I can't sell, I just DUMP!

Do you keep doubles?

Seldom. I'm not saying I've never kept doubles, but my collection is big enough as it is without having ten copies of one item lying around. Seems like everytime somebody starts one of them crybaby "I'm quitting record collecting" threads, it's always coming from a frustrated DJ who bought 350 copies of a Les McCann record for some reason, then complains that record collecting is dominating his life...