DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS WORD ?????

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
If I would tell you something about "Curver Beats" or these beats are done in a "Curver Style" do you understand what I'm talking about or do I have to explain it ???I'm asking because I'm writing something about a crew and they did "Curver Style Beats" and I want to know if have to explain it to the reader or not.PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• are you writing for mainstream media, project or "real headz"?

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i have no idea
    but i like that les humphries singers
    indeed flo markt find

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

Yeah good question.

It will be for heads, but no article, it will be some linernotes on a record.

1000 copys

Peace
    Hawkeye

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Yeah good question.

It will be for heads, but no article, it will be some linernotes on a record.

1000 copys

Peace
    Hawkeye

since when were liner notes supposed to make sense/mean anything?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'd say they could just Google it but ...

I'm really happy how you guys take my question seriously and help me.

So are you guys understanding the term or not ????

I googled those words:

Curver-Style

Hits ZERO

Curver-Beat

Hits ONE

And that hit is a review I wrote in 1996 about a crew which is affiliated to the crew I'm writing about now.

Did I made up that fucking term or what ????

• never heard of the term. However, I would use it if its for the liner notes. Someone will be listening to it and reading the liner notes going "oh, so this shit is called curver beats"

• Did I made up that fucking term or what ????

apparently.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If I would tell you something about "Curver Beats" or these beats are done in a "Curver Style" do you understand what I'm talking about or do I have to explain it ???

I'm asking because I'm writing something about a crew and they did "Curver Style Beats" and I want to know if have to explain it to the reader or not.

I think I would abandon the entire endeavor.

apparently.

No no, I know that these dudes are using the term on there own. Wherever they got the word from it existed before the review and must be known in the 80s and early 90s.

OK, could you please tell me if you never heard it before could you still imagine what it means ???

Curver-Beat

Hits ONE

And that hit is a review I wrote in 1996 about a crew which is affiliated to the crew I'm writing about now.

Hmmm ... sort of

ehhhh ... just use the term. It will be more fun that way.

OK

But

ARE YOU GUYS KNOWING WHAT IT MEANS ???

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

NO!!!!!!!!!

GREAT

SOMEONE ADMITS IT.

OK, thats what I wnated to know.

I have to explain it in the linernotes.

Curver Beats are funky beats that got a lot of snare rolls in the pattern.

The name is coming from the guys who played on the streets, for example on times square on some curver boxes with drum sticks.

The only footage I got of something like that, is the guys in the beginning of Crosstown Traffic from Hendrix.

Its extremly short and you cant here nothing.

In my head there is a picture too of YO MTV RAPS trailer which had something like this. But I'm not sure if I'm right.

Peace

Seriously ... sounds like a very localized term. Most folks will not know what you mean. Perhaps the context of your notes (or the music) will help?

1000 copies? Not that big of a deal one way or the other. But ... if the record will be distributed to places well outside of your area, you may want to include a quick blurb/context/history or whatever explaining the term.

curver boxes

And these are?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    curver boxes

And these are?

Stop fronting like you don't have an entire expedit cube dedicated to Curver Beats.

This dude was in my shop the other day talwmbout, "I'm telling you, it's the NEXT thing to blow in the record game. Don't let these other record dudes beat you to it!"

I mean now you known what I'm talking about,,,,, is there a english term for those kinda beats that these guys are playing that I dont know of ???

What is the style called with those extremly drum roles in a drumpattern ???

Do you call it bucket drummers or what ???

I found this right now on youtube

curver boxes

And these are?

I raise my drink to their legacy ...

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    haha, i checked the Hendrix video... and all i could see were those big metal barrels which some guys had lit a fire inside, is this one of the mythical "curver boxes"?

To be honest, i find it comical that there is a need to seperate beats into such a niche that you have invented a category for ones with lots of drum rolls into it but do your thing i guess...

THis is CURVER

To be honest, i find it comical that there is a need to seperate beats into such a niche that you have invented a category for ones with lots of drum rolls into it but do your thing i guess...

I can understand what you mean, but the thing is that these beats are diffrent to a normal funky beat not to mention totaly diffrent to the standart pattern of the 90s with the snare on the 2 and 4.

These beats are programed with some extreme rolls.

I have to check if I can find one to let hear you.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I'm so completely lost.

OK, it reminds me on this a little bit but still it is not the same

Still my question !!!!

Is there a name for the style they are playing ??? (not the brasilian kids)

Is there a widely known name for those dudes ?? (Bucket drummer maybe ??)

Still my question !!!!

Is there a name for the style they are playing ??? (not the brasilian kids)

Is there a widely known name for those dudes ?? (Bucket drummer maybe ??)

Why are you obsessed with finding a two-word phrase for this? What is so objectionable about using three, or four, or even five words to try to explain it? That's supposed to be the function of liner notes.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    "...with drums slightly reminiscent of that guy who plays the buckets on that mariah carey video from back in the day"

I just want to make it right. Whats wrong with that ???

I like the term Curver Beats but maybe there is a word that I dont know of.

See it as "I want to learn soemthing"