Best / Worst Reissue Labels

13»

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Soundway

But goddamn, that Mulatu 10" is practically unplayable.

Yeah .. WTF? If the masters/originals were that bad, why not choose different recordings? I do appreciate the songs, but I don't see the point in pressing such poor recordings to vinyl ... just throw them on a CD for "collectors" or whatever but don't market them towards DJs.

I agree - but to be fair, other Soundway reissues sound great. That Geraldo Pino album smashes it in da clurb.

• My faves:

Rhino Handmade
    Blood & Fire
    Honest Jons
    Soul Jazz

and

Ace[/b], who as already pointed out, have been doing this thing without a slip for over 30 years. That (almost) complete Dyke & The Blazers collection bought me far more pleasure than I thought possible, and Palou's notes were well written and brilliantly exhaustive. Surely Ace and their subsiduaries they are THE model for a modern reissue label.

I've yet to buy a Numero compilation but this thread's put paid to that situation.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    other Soundway reissues sound great.

Oh for sure. Wasn't trying to belittle their efforts. They def belong in the "best reissue labels" category.

Got to give a shout to Plastic Strip in Norway who seem to be doing it right on the scandi-jazz tip.
    I've only got their Webster Lewis reissue, but that one is proper.

• soundway reissues are great, the mulatu 10" was limited but repressed and the repress sounds a little bit better. The wax poetics reissues are excellent but they're new to the reissue game so they dont have a massive library.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    But strictly music - the tuff city catalog is pretty deep - always has interesting stuff. It's never going to be "fashionable" (see; soul jazz, honest jons,light in the attic, etc) - but that's appeling to me too.

I'm curious about this upcoming Tuff City release for nostalgia's sake.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    But strictly music - the tuff city catalog is pretty deep - always has interesting stuff. It's never going to be "fashionable" (see; soul jazz, honest jons,light in the attic, etc) - but that's appeling to me too.

I'm curious about this upcoming Tuff City release for nostalgia's sake.

That is some serious overkill! The EP version they did in the 90s was kinda more than enough... and if you've got that and the DJ Kool record you pretty much have most of it already I'm guessing.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    soundway reissues are great, the mulatu 10" was limited but repressed and the repress sounds a little bit better. The wax poetics reissues are excellent but they're new to the reissue game so they dont have a massive library.

The copy I have must be a repress because the quality is acceptable for playing out.

Can anyone speak on the quality of Time Lag Records? Been interested in a few reissued by them lately.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    soundway reissues are great, the mulatu 10" was limited but repressed and the repress sounds a little bit better. The wax poetics reissues are excellent but they're new to the reissue game so they dont have a massive library.

The copy I have must be a repress because the quality is acceptable for playing out.

Can anyone speak on the quality of Time Lag Records? Been interested in a few reissued by them lately.

Yeah, the Time Lag stuff I know is great. I wanted to do the Marconi Notaro myself, but they did it as well as could be done.