Assagai info

captainplanetcaptainplanet 626 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
just trying to get a clear timeline about release dates and pressings. As far as I can tell, they put out their self-titled (with "Telephone Girl") on Vortex (1971?) with the crazy mask dude and the map on the cover. Then they put out the "Zimbabwe" album on philips (with the trippy Roger Dean cover). Self titled was later re-released on Contour (the same year??? my press says '71) with the arms in the air zulu cat, and "Zimbabwe" became "Afro-Rock" (also still '71 according to my pressing) on the Sounds Superb label. The other mystery to me is that the Zimbabwe or Afro-Rock album has much less clean production quality, which would make me think it was recorded ealier. WTF? any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• thanks. that's cool that your folks were down. you're in the UK?

as far as the music goes, theres definitely some goodness that came out of the whole project, as crazy as it may have been. I mean, in addition to blending styles, they were racially mixed (with Chris McGregor in the group) and in exile- so I imagine that puts extra pressure on things. I think that he wasn't on the 2nd lp though. I'm trying to get more info, but it's pretty scarce. maybe you could ask your parents...

check these songs if you haven't before:

Cocoa written by Coker (one of the Nigerians in the group)
    Barazinbar from their 2nd(?) album (sounds like it was recorded in a basment at best - but I still like it)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    As far as I can tell, they put out their self-titled (with "Telephone Girl") on Vortex[/b] (1971?)

You mean Vertigo?

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^ doh! yes. that's what i meant. the swirl got me loopy.

• Compared to everything else moholo, pukwana and feza were involved with it all seems pretty lightweight though.

I know about dudu being on the Who (Ngubani)? record, but please school on the heavier things.

• zimbzimb 8 Posts
    there's a lot of info (and scans of covers, backsides, labels) here:
    http://www.radagast.org/assagai/

• thanks Francis and Zimb

much appreciated. not sure why I thought McGregor was part of the band... no white dude afterall

• shnikes! is this your particular area of expertise? what's your connection with these cats? I've never even heard of most of those records. looks like some amazing material. mixtape time? or better yet: COMP

Looks like you'd be qualified to do the liner notes. Thanks again.