Here is everything I know about project BLOWED.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

But most people never heard of Project Blowed, so that makes Archaic's claims of their influence insignificant.

Sorry, but if it applies to Soulrez it should apply to PB too.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

But most people never heard of Project Blowed, so that makes Archaic's claims of their influence insignificant.

On this board especially you should get used to identifying extreme sarcasm.

Also who are these cavepeople y'all keep speaking of who have never heard of Project Blowed?

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

1. Project Blowed was a health food store on crenshaw or somewhere in the hood that dudes used to rap really really fast at. - sounds about right

2. They used to Boo everybody that performed there. Including one time, fat joe. - is fat joe from the west coast wtf???

3. Its supposedly where Jurassic 5 first developed that lame "everybody rap at one time" style. - actually they kind of just brought that shit back. see outlaw four, z 3 mcees, double trouble etc etc list goes on and on.

4. The pharcyde went there a couple times. - enought times to learn that busting out some jazz vocals in mid verse is a good thing and could be used more.

5. This dude busdriver is from there who is mostly known today for getting clowned on an episode of blind date. -anyone have footage of this???

6. Bone thugs in harmony once took a bus from cleveland, secretly snuck in and stole their whole style from people named busdriver and shit. - dude that is the motherfucking gospel. the perfect crime, steal from some underground scene and feed it to the hood. even though this is stylistic grand larsen, they are still pretty cool for having the idea to rip off the freestyle. everytime someone bites freestyle a new style is born. see dirty south, anticon, what else?? sure its out there.

7. Theres a bunch of other dudes with some jedi sounding names like Ehlile kurule or something. -check for project blowed posse cuts, my dude has one with like 70 different rapper taking verses, surprisingly most of the verses are killlller. names are bugged out as well.

8. Theres one dude called Ninja Fish I think. He sounds sort of interesting. - i think his name is nga fish.

9. Aceyalone is that dude with an annoying voice that made some weird ass concept album. - see all balls don't bounce, mic check should fuck your shit up. if no that, mokeeba will check you in for sure. his voice isn't annoying to me.

10. that one dude that got in a bad car wreck a few years back. That was kinda sad. -who???

11. Mikah 9 doesnt get along with guzzo cause hes a womanizer or something. - mikah 9 is a fucking legend, wouldn't be worrying about his personal affairs.

12. One day some dudes over there invented dirty south rap. -hah! via boner.

13. Archaic likes them alot, but no one is sure why exactly. -no comment.

14. Haiku de ta? something like that. it was an album, or a 12" with aceyalone and that dude guzzo doesnt like. - just heard that shit for the first time a couple of days ago.......probably the best tune i've heard in about 4 years was on that record. wake up guzzoul.

15. Freestyle fellowship came from there, and went on to do that song about a potato. - that record catches like $40, its on 4th and broadway.

am I missing anything? - probably. because that scene has been around since i don't know when, and there is countless outsider ghetto mcees coming from and through that click that drop revolutionary shit on a daily.

On this board especially you should get used to identifying extreme sarcasm.

Also who are these cavepeople y'all keep speaking of who have never heard of Project Blowed?

In texas, everyone outside of Austin city limits.

100 people at the PB show in Houston makes the other 3,999,990 people int eh city cavedwellers, right?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I have never heard any Project Blowed music except Freestyle Fellowship and Aceyalone, and I was heavy into indy/underground hip-hop from 1994 - 2001 or so. had a college radio show, listened to every record at fat beats (NY) and bought half of them, tuned in to Stretch and Bobbito every week, copped all the mixtapes, all that. It just wasn't ever big here.

1. Project Blowed was a health food store on crenshaw or somewhere in the hood that dudes used to rap really really fast at. - sounds about right

It's not right though. The Goodlife was a health food store on Crenshaw that hosted a weekly Thursday night open mic from like 91-94. Project Blowed is a the continuation of that, a Thursday night open mic, held at Kaos Network in Leimert Park that has been going strong since 94.

2. They used to Boo everybody that performed there. Including one time, fat joe. - is fat joe from the west coast wtf???

At the Goodlife you would get "please pass the mic"ed for either cursing, not freestyling or at least fooling folks into believing that you're freestyling, or for being stereotypically wack (like Fat Joe).

4. The pharcyde went there a couple times. - enought times to learn that busting out some jazz vocals in mid verse is a good thing and could be used more.

Many sessions of Goodlife MC's were hosted at Pharcyde Manor.

10. that one dude that got in a bad car wreck a few years back. That was kinda sad. -who???

P.E.A.C.E. His girlfriend died and he was layed up for weeks if not months.

15. Freestyle fellowship came from there, and went on to do that song about a potato. - that record catches like $40, its on 4th and broadway.

It's a certified b-boy classic here in Texas.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i got a blowdian question. so i too am a west coast native and i can tell you that shit was all the rage at college. i mean, i never went til much later but all these college kids from san diego used to go every week and they were a bunch of hippies. so i dont get this whole blowed is a hood thing cuz these fools were definately not hood. but i digress. i got that blowed album when it first dropped. i was mildly displeased as i was a fellowship fan first and thought itd live up to those standards which it most definately did not. then i lost that blowed album.

a few years later i see that revolution records or someone was reissuing it so i grabbed it again for the nostalgia factor and i noticed this version has the nonce's mixtapes track on the vinyl but unlisted in the track listing.

what i want to know is, was the nonce also on the original press and if so why is it uncredited.

i mean, its not that important. just wondering.

• 10. that one dude that got in a bad car wreck a few years back. That was kinda sad. -who???

I am pretty sure he's referring to P.E.A.C.E..

It's a certified b-boy classic here in Texas.

It's actually more known for being one of the main songs that that UT cheerleaders get their "jiggy" on to.

Hot shit!

• mix tapes was on the og pressing shig

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    mix tapes was on the og pressing shig

thank you sir!

i wonder why it wasnt credited on the tracklisting though...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    mix tapes was on the og pressing shig

thank you sir!

i wonder why it wasnt credited on the tracklisting though...

probably something to do with the fact it came out on american at the same time. it's uncredited on my og as well.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm sorry but I thnk its safe to say Project Blowed had its place in time but its time is over and has been so for a few years now.

that ain't a knock I mean I lke James Brown but his time came & went to. now I just enjoy the tracks he made back in his prime.

remember the blowed but don't try to keep that shit on life support

• You know, as hard as it might be for a lot of folks to realize, most people on the east coast HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF PROJECT BLOWED.

The ONLY reason I know songs like "Watch LA Take Their Styles Back", "Strength Of ATU", "5 OClock Follies", "Slow Lights", etc etc etc etc is because I'm from the west coast, and ran in the underground Bay Area scene.

I wish folks would concentrate more on trying to spread THE MUSIC rather than THE GRUDGE.

the only people I ever knew that was knew who Project Blowed is was the skater/backpacker/hip hop geek crowd. Granted..this is down South..so I am sure things might be different other places. But anyways..it just aint my kind of shit,

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    You know, as hard as it might be for a lot of folks to realize, most people on the east coast HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF PROJECT BLOWED.

The ONLY reason I know songs like "Watch LA Take Their Styles Back", "Strength Of ATU", "5 OClock Follies", "Slow Lights", etc etc etc etc is because I'm from the west coast, and ran in the underground Bay Area scene.

I wish folks would concentrate more on trying to spread THE MUSIC rather than THE GRUDGE.

the only people I ever knew that was knew who Project Blowed is was the skater/backpacker/hip hop geek crowd. Granted..this is down South..so I am sure things might be different other places. But anyways..it just aint my kind of shit,

nope, that is how it is everywhere

Unlike James Brown and the Gang Starr's of the world, most PB artists have evolved with time.

CVE's Villainism is one of the best rap albums I've heard this year.

Ellay Khule's Califormula is sure to be some good stuff as well.

The Project Blowed 10th Anniversary compilation has some worthwhile stuff on it.

The Project Blowed 10th Anniversary Tour show that I caught was well-attended and fun.

Project Blowed still happens every Thursday night.

But I guess since the soulstrut consensus says that they're done for, they should just give up and go back to robbing fools like Guzzo for his Modern Soul money.

And for the hundredth time...no matter how many backpackers/hippies become their fans, PB is a community service attached to a larger outreach project called Kaos Network and damned if they aren't doing some significant cultivation of talent from the neighborhoods of South Central LA.

White girls loved them some Black Panthers dick. Doesn't mean that the Panthers were no longer working to uplift their folks.

Read that second Ngafsh verse I posted in this thread earlier today. It answers many of your queries directly.

• You know, as hard as it might be for a lot of folks to realize, most people on the east coast HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF PROJECT BLOWED.

I kinda figured that

• Unlike James Brown and the Gang Starr's of the world, most PB artists have evolved with time.

The Project Blowed 10th Anniversary compilation has some worthwhile stuff on it.

The Project Blowed 10th Anniversary Tour show that I caught was well-attended and fun.

But I guess since the soulstrut consensus says that they're done for, they should just give up and go back to robbing fools like Guzzo for his Modern Soul money.

And for the hundredth time...no matter how many backpackers/hippies become their fans, PB is a community service attached to a larger outreach project called Kaos Network and damned if they aren't doing some significant cultivation of talent from the neighborhoods of South Central LA.

White girls loved them some Black Panthers dick. Doesn't mean that the Panthers were no longer working to uplift their folks.

Read that second Ngafsh verse I posted in this thread earlier today. It answers many of your queries directly.

2,4,6,8 WHO DO WE APPRECIATE??????
    PROJECT BLOWED, PROJECT BLOWED, PROJECT BLOWED!!!!!!!

Unlike James Brown and the Gang Starr's of the world, most PB artists have evolved with time.

2,4,6,8 WHO DO WE APPRECIATE??????
    PROJECT BLOWED, PROJECT BLOWED, PROJECT BLOWED!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahaha

but still. WHO IS PROJECT BLOWED?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    So happy yall are having fun in my thread!

Ive really nothing against the blowed, I just like provoking shit. carry on.

the only people I ever knew that dug for raers was the skater/backpacker/hip hop geek crowd.

Some of y'all need to do a mirror check ASAP. Y'all are about as hard as a Sayer come-up. And if it's the music that you listen to that is feeding you your false sense of validation then please know that you are a poseur.

I can get with the folks who used to like the Blowed...but lost interest...although I would say to them that listening to some of the newer stuff that you've yet to hear may very well surprise you in a good way.

For those who are simply spreading blind hate just because you think it's gonna get you props on soulstrut for attempting to butt heads with me...you're the worst kind of pathetic.

I'll say it all day too, any day. Talking bad about stuff you have yet to even hear is about as little dude as it gets.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

the only people I ever knew that dug for raers was the skater/backpacker/hip hop geek crowd.

Some of y'all need to do a mirror check ASAP. Y'all are about as hard as a Sayer come-up. And if it's the music that you listen to that is feeding you your false sense of validation then please know that you are a poseur.

I can get with the folks who used to like the Blowed...but lost interest...although I would say to them that listening to some of the newer stuff that you've yet to hear may very well surprise you in a good way.

For those who are simply spreading blind hate just because you think it's gonna get you props on soulstrut for attempting to butt heads with me...you're the worst kind of pathetic.

I'll say it all day too, any day. Talking bad about stuff you have yet to even hear is about as little dude as it gets.

Im sorry. But its just REALLY funny how into them you are. And how you are known throughout the internet as that dude thats always yelling about project blowed!

And how you will turn any conversation somehow into something about the blowed. Granted people do it for you alot these days, but man, you are tireless with that shit!

I dont really think my posts are "blind hate". Its just amusing to see you get so worked up! (no homo).

• you just take this shit too far rashied.

its unsettling even for people who do like some blowed stuff, such as myself.

your obsession with them has over taken leo sayer as being the biggest joke on this site.

just a thought.

• the only people I ever knew that dug for raers was the skater/backpacker/hip hop geek crowd.

was that even directed to me? all I FUCKING said is most dudes around my way(mostly close friends) were the skater type. Relax a little FUCKING bit dude. I aint attacking your peoples...I dont hate that PJ shit..I just wouldnt personally bump it. I am about sick and tired of getting all hussy fussy with some of you Soulstrut dudes...and I aint gonna let this be another dude that wants to talk shit to me. Mr FUCKING sensitive...goddamn man.

and for the record..ive owned quite a few PJ related records(all have been ebay'd years ago)...so its not like I never heard their shit. Dont take everything so fucking personal man.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    although I would say to them that listening to some of the newer stuff that you've yet to hear may very well surprise you in a good way.

Hit me with some mp3s on PM sometime.

-e

except actually at project blowed / good life. once upon a time, project blowed was an altogether different thing, a very local and underground scene for and about the local community that thrived while the rest of the west was trying to do the gangsta thing. as it blew up, lots of kids latched on to it along with everything else that was "underground hip hop". that put the blowed in front of a whole different audience that it wasn't really ever intended for. since then the blowed has been a lot of things, some good, many bad. i personally love some of the early blowed shit, and while the vast majority of pb affiliated folks now are cranking out crap, there are still some gems to be found. i think that's pretty much true of any time you take a large cross section of artists from a whole "scene". dismissing all of project blowed because of who and what there broader fan base is seems pretty shallow to me.

wow. It is interesting that he knows us.

but yeah, it is funny how much you love them. I honestly didnt even know that you posted on this board till your revealed yourself as someone who lives on Project Blowed's nutsac.

also...I love how you are always defending how hood, or how much street cred they have. Noone cares.

all we are saying is that their fans, not the artists per se, are geek nerd hop skater kids. CAUSE THEY FUCKIN ARE!

was that even directed to me? all I FUCKING said is most dudes around my way(mostly close friends) were the skater type. Relax a little FUCKING bit dude. I aint attacking your peoples...I dont hate that PJ shit..I just wouldnt personally bump it. I am about sick and tired of getting all hussy fussy with some of you Soulstrut dudes...and I aint gonna let this be another dude that wants to talk shit to me. Mr FUCKING sensitive...goddamn man.

and for the record..ive owned quite a few PJ related records(all have been ebay'd years ago)...so its not like I never heard their shit. Dont take everything so fucking personal man.

It wasn't directed at you.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

My hommie played me a new Mikah 9 record the other day. It was produced by Snoop Doog's band or something. It was TERRIBLE, it surprised me in a BAD way. I was NOT feeling the way dude was singin'. Production was mad corny and wack as well.
    Not liking or not knowing about Project Blowed joints has nothing to do with being "Hard" (no homo). I'm 36 now and I grew up on the West Coast and have lived here my whole life. I have been listening to Hip-Hop/Rap as long as it has been coming out on records. I used to DJ, have radio shows, attend every type of rap concert, b-boy battle, DJ battle, etc. I used to go to New York every summer and attended a few New Music Seminar joints back in the day. I have been ALL THE WAY into hip-hop and rap since day one. I always listened to L.A. music. Used to listen to KDAY whenever I was in L.A. Remeber when Toddy Tee, Mixmaster Spade, King Tee, Rhyme Syndicate, etc. came out. I never knew ANYONE here in Seattle that was into rap that listened to that project blowed type stuff. Freestyle Fellowship, Acealyone, etc. We just did not listen to that stuff. We were always into the L.A. Gangster joints. That's where the dope music was coming from. NWA, CMW, Dre, Snoop, Quik, etc. If you think Project blowed material is better than these artists/groups, cool. People like different music. Most of the cats I came up with have NEVER heard of project blowed and they do not live in caves, they all live on THE WEST COAST. We just did not care about that type of music.
    P.S. I did like some of the Nonce "World Ultimate" LP. Was that project blowed related?

My hommie played me a new Mikah 9 record the other day. It was produced by Snoop Doog's band or something. It was TERRIBLE, it surprised me in a BAD way. I was NOT feeling the way dude was singin'. Production was mad corny and wack as well.
    Not liking or not knowing about Project Blowed joints has nothing to do with being "Hard" (no homo). I'm 36 now and I grew up on the West Coast and have lived here my whole life. I have been listening to Hip-Hop/Rap as long as it has been coming out on records. I used to DJ, have radio shows, attend every type of rap concert, b-boy battle, DJ battle, etc. I used to go to New York every summer and attended a few New Music Seminar joints back in the day. I have been ALL THE WAY into hip-hop and rap since day one. I always listened to L.A. music. Used to listen to KDAY whenever I was in L.A. Remeber when Toddy Tee, Mixmaster Spade, King Tee, Rhyme Syndicate, etc. came out. I never knew ANYONE here in Seattle that was into rap that listened to that project blowed type stuff. Freestyle Fellowship, Acealyone, etc. We just did not listen to that stuff. We were always into the L.A. Gangster joints. That's where the dope music was coming from. NWA, CMW, Dre, Snoop, Quik, etc. If you think Project blowed material is better than these artists/groups, cool. People like different music. Most of the cats I came up with have NEVER heard of project blowed and they do not live in caves, they all live on THE WEST COAST. We just did not care about that type of music.
    P.S. I did like some of the Nonce "World Ultimate" LP. Was that project blowed related?

I guess that Source of Labor didn't visit the Goodlife back in 94 then. I need to get my eyes and ears checked ASAP.