The artist as brand

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Mostly people on the outside talking in circles in an effort to seem relevant but it's definitely another nail in the coffin for record labelshttp://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2021280,00.htmlWith the music market in decline, artists and their managers are increasing their focus on building brands that can deliver revenue streams beyond traditional record sales. Notable examples are rapper 50 Cent buying a stake in Glaceau Vitamin Water as part of his new super-healthy image. More recently, style-conscious Lily Allen announced she was teaming up with fashion chain New Look. London-based music consultancy Entertainment Media Research has tapped into the trend with a new tool called PopScores that tracks the awareness and popularity of 200 artists. So who's up and who's down? The Beatles bagged the highest score this month while Peter Andre got the lowest. Amy Winehouse was the biggest winner, according to the latest survey of 4,500 music consumers aged 13-59.

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I'm not a rapper, I'm an entity. Hallelujah Holla Back.

• I'm not a rapper, I'm an entity. Hallelujah Holla Back.

horribly, this was the first thing in my mind when i saw this post.

ghetto revival batches!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think it's the natural progression from all those 80s Stadium rockers going PLC in the 90s. The logical conclusion is that one day they won't even have to make any records.

• I think it's the natural progression from all those 80s Stadium rockers going PLC in the 90s. The logical conclusion is that one day they won't even have to make any records.

wouldnt put (music) stars on the same level as paris hilton?

famous for being famous?