Vestax Portable: is needle replacement possible?

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I have run the course of my portable's needle life. Has anyone found a way to make the replacement for these?It seems that the head is built in to the tonearm, which is probably cheap enough and I'd definietly be willing to replace the whole thing to increase the fidelity. But is it a case of soldering and messy wire patching to pull this off?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Unless you're trying to save money, why not just use the replacement needle for the Vestax? You can get it where the Vestax are sold. I think they are around $20 when I got them. I just snapped the old red one off and replaced it. Took me 10 seconds. Is there a reason you're doing a custom needle or something? I've replaced the needle 3-4 times already, so if you have a cheaper way let me know

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'd go with what MoSS said. The Vestax is such a crappy design, I don't think I'd want to waste money/time on trying to upgrade the needle.

There are 2 choices of needle from Vestax though, the 78 friendly and the cheaper 45/33 only version.