I NEED A FREE M4A CONVERTER

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
meaning i need to convert some m4a files to regular ol' mp3s (not vice versa). can u point me in the right direction? some seriously free schitt, not one o' them 30 day trial schitts. i'm cheap and refuse to spend a dime if i can get a free illegal download somewhere online. thanks in advance if you can help me!

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I can't help you with your needs, but maybe someone else reading this thread can answer my related question: how do I get my iTunes to stop making digital files in this accursed M4A format? All I want is mp3s.

Thanks, and answer Phill's question if you know the answer first.
    JRoot

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    iTunes should do it automatic, just go to settings.

If it's a protected jawn you can use a program called "JHymn."

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I can't help you with your needs, but maybe someone else reading this thread can answer my related question: how do I get my iTunes to stop making digital files in this accursed M4A format? All I want is mp3s.

Go to edit --> preferences --> advanced tab --> import tab --> import using

Set it to mp3. I use 192 kbps, but you can use the custom setting to set it higher.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

JRoot

serious hijackory

phill: is it an m4a or m4p ie did you d/l the track from itunes? my way around .m4p in the mac world is using wiretap. not free, but its $15 well spent on a low cpu hogging recorder.

if its an m4a (JROOT READ THIS) open up prefrences in itunes, click the advanced icon, and depend on what version your using, riffle through the tabs (in version 7 its under importing). Change your importing pref to mp3 and whatever bitrate/conversion you prefer (from cd/raw audio id doo 320kbs w/ varialbe bit rate). then try and re-encode the file (jroot, all your subsequent improts will be straight).

let me know if this helps.

-arjun

• iTunes should do it automatic, just go to settings.

m4a to mp3?

i can't even find "settings" on my iTunes, where is it at? I found preferences, but can't see how to convert to mp3. still need help

• I can't help you with your needs, but maybe someone else reading this thread can answer my related question: how do I get my iTunes to stop making digital files in this accursed M4A format? All I want is mp3s.

JRoot

serious hijackory

phill: is it an m4a or m4p ie did you d/l the track from itunes? my way around .m4p in the mac world is using wiretap. not free, but its $15 well spent on a low cpu hogging recorder.

if its an m4a (JROOT READ THIS) open up prefrences in itunes, click the advanced icon, and depend on what version your using, riffle through the tabs (in version 7 its under importing). Change your importing pref to mp3 and whatever bitrate/conversion you prefer (from cd/raw audio id doo 320kbs w/ varialbe bit rate). then try and re-encode the file (jroot, all your subsequent improts will be straight).

let me know if this helps.

-arjun

ok, just read this... i'll check up on it now. thankx!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Thanks everyone. For some reason, my import settings were on AAC and then iTunes just M4As everything once its burned.

Despite my obvious hijack, I think that bthav may have also answered Phill's question.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    iTunes should do it automatic, just go to settings.

m4a to mp3?

i can't even find "settings" on my iTunes, where is it at? I found preferences, but can't see how to convert to mp3. still need help

Mac or PC?

On Mac, on teh pulldown menu

iTunes
    Preferences
    Advanced
    Importing
    Import Using MP3 Encoder
    Setting - Custom
    Stereo Bit Rate - 320
    Okay?!?!?

m4a to mp3?

Mac or PC?

iTunes
    Preferences
    Advanced
    Importing
    Import Using MP3 Encoder
    Setting - Custom
    Stereo Bit Rate - 320
    Okay?!?!?

naw, PC. this is still confusing because i really don't fuck with iTunes too much, I just want to convert some schitt I got off soulseek so i can burn a cd with it along with some other schitt... i'll figure out how to do it (i guess i can burn the cd with iTunes, it's just gonna be different than how i usually do this schitt). thankx to all who advised.

• On Mac iTunes you can right click on the file and choose "convert selection to mp3". I'm not sure if they have the same feature on a PC.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    On Mac iTunes you can right click on the file and choose "convert selection to mp3". I'm not sure if they have the same feature on a PC.

Yes, you can do this on the PC as well.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    hey phil

f*ck itunes. here's a dope free converter for m4a (wma's too)

http://koyotstar.free.fr

click on the free mp3 wma converter link on the lower left..

m4a to mp3?

Mac or PC?

iTunes
    Preferences
    Advanced
    Importing
    Import Using MP3 Encoder
    Setting - Custom
    Stereo Bit Rate - 320
    Okay?!?!?

naw, PC. this is still confusing because i really don't fuck with iTunes too much, I just want to convert some schitt I got off soulseek so i can burn a cd with it along with some other schitt... i'll figure out how to do it (i guess i can burn the cd with iTunes, it's just gonna be different than how i usually do this schitt). thankx to all who advised.

I'm on a PC, I start with

Edit (which is right next to file on the top left hand side.

Hit the advanced tab.

Hit the Importing tab.

Import Using: MP3 Encoder,

select setting accordingly..I usually use custom, then 320.

• On Mac iTunes you can right click on the file and choose "convert selection to mp3". I'm not sure if they have the same feature on a PC.

Yep, that's what i did. That's what i was looking for right there. Once again, may i shower you all with my heartfelt gratitudes

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    On Mac iTunes you can right click on the file and choose "convert selection to mp3". I'm not sure if they have the same feature on a PC.

Yep, that's what i did. That's what i was looking for right there. Once again, may i shower you all with my heartfelt gratitudes

was about to lose sleep.