Sealed records and their inner sleeves

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
When sealed records are opened for the first time, why is it that sometimes the inner sleeves are folded over at a corner or more, while other times they are not? Does anyone have any insight into this somewhat disturbing lack of uniformity?Also: In the record production process what or who generally puts the sleeved disc into the cover? Assuming the latter, what gives a factory worker the right to crease my inner sleeve?

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    that shit burns me up too, but I would think that its an automated process just like all the other steps in the duplication. So its prone to error when a machine is packagin it. I could be wrong though, i just find it hard to believe that someone hand put sleeves on millions of copies of Whipped Cream

• yeah I would guess the outer sleeves are wrapped and then glued around the record and inner sleeve. There is probably a Youtube video on this.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    there's something effiminate and sexy about that phrase "Sealed records and their inner sleeves".

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    there's something effiminate and sexy about that phrase "Sealed records and their inner sleeves".
    Are you challenging me to a dance-off?

Are you challenging me to a dance-off?

Naw, I can only do math.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    this thread signals the anal retentivity of the collective collectro mind
    the achillies heel of dudes worldwide
    it's that crease that drives you crazy

That's probably your best post yet.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

now it is.

Mark my words, X-ray-determined non-creased inner sleeve will soon be the new hot collectro selling point.

• When sealed records are opened for the first time, why is it that sometimes the inner sleeves are folded over at a corner or more, while other times they are not? Does anyone have any insight into this somewhat disturbing lack of uniformity?

Also: In the record production process what or who generally puts the sleeved disc into the cover? Assuming the later, what gives a factory worker the right to crease my inner sleeve?

Just be thankful that after 30 years those fuckers aren't WARPED.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

now it is.

• this thread signals the anal retentivity of the collective collectro mind

ill take that crease and raise you a fold!

but surriuosly, a minty yet folded inner sleeve is kind of cool, it ensures the seal wasnt a re-seal.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    When sealed records are opened for the first time, why is it that sometimes the inner sleeves are folded over at a corner or more, while other times they are not? Does anyone have any insight into this somewhat disturbing lack of uniformity?

Also: In the record production process what or who generally puts the sleeved disc into the cover? Assuming the later, what gives a factory worker the right to crease my inner sleeve?

Totally getting off topic.. and I would post a new topic but it seems SS has a new topics popping up daily and I don't want to contribute any more..

Do you often open sealed records to play?? I have a sealed copy of Coffy and I would love to open and play it but like you say.. what if it warped because it's been in shrink all this time? So maybe I should just sell it and hopefully with the money made buy an open copy of Coffy and have some spare change left too? Of course, if some dude buys it, opens it, and it's warped, now I got worries.

When sealed records are opened for the first time, why is it that sometimes the inner sleeves are folded over at a corner or more, while other times they are not? Does anyone have any insight into this somewhat disturbing lack of uniformity?

Totally getting off topic.. and I would post a new topic but it seems SS has a new topics popping up daily and I don't want to contribute any more..

Do you often open sealed records to play?? I have a sealed copy of Coffy and I would love to open and play it but like you say.. what if it warped because it's been in shrink all this time? So maybe I should just sell it and hopefully with the money made buy an open copy of Coffy and have some spare change left too? Of course, if some dude buys it, opens it, and it's warped, now I got worries.
    If you do sell it, make sure you sell it to the type of dude who believes so firmly in keeping sealed records sealed that he will contact a person who has just outbid him on a sealed record and warn them not to open it.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

funny
    my copy of coffy is sealed and up on my wall
    a shit load of those must have just went right into the cut out bin..sealed
    i have the reish for spins but sealed rare heavy records are a conondrum as to open or not
    i paid an even 100 in a trade for it and i still wonder if its warped

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I always thought the crease was on purpose,
    cause that's how you make inner sleeves fit
    into jackets when the jacket is too tight,
    fold over the back corner.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

funny
    my copy of coffy was[/b] sealed
    crack that shit open son! my girl got me an og copy for my birthday 3 years ago. i kept it sealed for while but the fear of warpage pushed me to crack that shit. DO IT!!!!!!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

At every pressing plant I've ever worked with, a human being puts the records in the sleeves. This is mostly because metal and vinyl are a deadly combination. At United there are two little old ladies who sit there and do it all day. They've probably sleeved billions of records.

yeah I would guess the outer sleeves are wrapped and then glued around the record and inner sleeve. There is probably a Youtube video on this.

I've never heard of this process. Most pressing plants to do not manufacture jackets, actually I can't think of one in the US that has both services on the same site. Generally, sleeves are farmed out and shipped to the plant. We use Stoughton for gatefolds and Dorado for innersleeves. Both ship to the pressing plant, then the people stick the record into the innersleeve, and finally the innersleeve into the jacket. Shrinkwrap is optional.

As vinyl is a rather "archaic" technology, there hasn't been too many developments in automation over the last twenty years. Why is your innersleeve corner creased? Because if you stuff 40,000 records a day, not every one is going to be perfect.

To quote John Bender:

It's an imperfect world, screws fall out.

• I think you have Reynaldo confrused for someone who cares how many records those little old ladies have sleeved today.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Why is your innersleeve corner creased? Because if you stuff 40,000 records a day, not every one is going to be perfect.

UNLESS YOUR NAME IS BAMBOUCHE.