Ebay library lp bullshit

DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I have a dozen sonoton library Lps for sale on the bay and just received this bullshit from someone at SonotonItem: Sonoton Library J fiddy Industrial themes vol 1 Lp (260088571111) This message was sent while the listing was active. rnarholz is a potential buyer. Your offer includes SONOTON LPs or CDs. May we inform you that you are not entitled to sell SONOTON CDs, LPs. They belong to Sonoton and are not for sale. Please remove your offer at once from the site or we will contact eBay with ANotice of [email]Infringement@.[/email] Sonoton LPs and CDs are produced for professional use and belong to Sonoton or ist agents. You may not have been aware of this fact and we therefore kindly ask you to remove your offer and refrain from selling Sonoton LPs and CDs in the future. Kind regards SONOTON Music GmbH & Co. KG What the fuck! where do i stand if he does contact ebay. They are second hand Lps for fucks sake.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I recall this happenign with KPMs for some sellers at some point. Never with Sonoton specifically. I have heard that sellers have been compelled by ebay to remove library records before. I dunno the legal side of it, but it seems like it's based on something.

Probably wouldn't have this prob on gemm!

• Library companies only ever loan out LPs. You don't legally own those LPs and they are in their rights to cancel your auctions. There was a spate of ebay library auctions being cancelled a few years ago presumably as a result of library companies learning what goes on on ebay. I suspect they quickly realised that the resurgence of interested via compilations/cleared samples/vintage library tracks being used on advertisments/TV shows was a result of the illegal market in library LPs and they just backed off. It's rare that you hear of auctions being shut down now but it does happen.

Your best bet is to cancel your auctions (or let ebay do it), wait a while and then relist them without the word Sonoton. Use S0n0t0n or son-o-ton and you should be fine. Or you could try to persuade Sonoton that it's in their interest to let you sell their LPs. Which it is.

• I will probably try and convince them that it's in their interests to allow me to sell them. i am just a bit blown away about the legalities. Thanks for the advice.

• takotako 50 Posts
    i had the same problem 3 weeks ago, i just wana know why is it in their interest if i sell the records that they still own?
    because someone might sample it and then pay them for the clearance?
    got some bruton & conroy up on the bay too, yout think they are a problem too?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Oh you could sell a few of thos sonotons to me!

Or doa SET SALE!

They are AVGL!

• Dope covers I was tempted to keep them but i recorded them and have bills to pay. If they don't sell on the bay (or are cancelled) I can do a set sale for you I'llemail you when i see what happens with ebay.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    N# 101 is what I need.