Wisconsin shops

ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
The big sister lives in Stevens Point, and we're going to visit her for a few days. She said she wants to take us over to Appleton/Madison, and on the trip home we might slide through Milwaukee. Any record spots I could check there ? Obviously Wisconsin doesn't pop into beat diggers' heads, but is there anything there worth peepin ? Thanks yall.

Comments

• Aah, my neck of the woods

Remember, round here don't ask for record stores, they are called Pie Shops.

• The big sister lives in Stevens Point, and we're going to visit her for a few days. She said she wants to take us over to Appleton/Madison, and on the trip home we might slide through Milwaukee. Any record spots I could check there ? Obviously Wisconsin doesn't pop into beat diggers' heads, but is there anything there worth peepin ? Thanks yall.

im in the appleton area! well oshkosh... holla

• Madison has a few stores (search the site - i asked this q a few months back). decent stuff was found.

• Hey ToeFunk,

Here are some shops to check out in Milwaukee:

1. Lotus Land
    2. Neapolitan
    3. Bullseye
    4. Flipville
    5. Musical Memories

Madison has a decent amount of spots as well - run a search, I'm sure there have been threads about Madison in the past.

• Thanks everybody. This should make this trip a little better. I couldn't find anything when I searched "madison" though. Want to hook me up with a link to the thread ?

• Madison:
    Mad City Music
    Strictly Dicks, I mean Strictly Discs
    Quanzit Hut
    Pasture
    The St. Vinny???s Thrifts
    B-Side

Haven???t been digging in Madison for a while, so some of those may not be around anymore.
    Get yourself some New Glarus beers while you???re there.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    pasture is no longer there. i can put you in touch with tony if you want though, he has a storage unit.

the rest are all still open.

if the exclusive company is still on state they are worth a try. i got two copies of can -- monster movie there.

sugar shack in the willy/atwood area might be ok still too.(truck turner ost for $3)

i've pulled some great stuff from madcitymusicexchange.

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
    I forgot to ask, which of those six in Madison have the best reggae/jazz/psych rock selections ? Or just your favorite in general ? I tried pretty hard to swing it, but the fam isn't up for all of them I don't think.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    check out the salvation army in madison. found a few raers there.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Stevens Point

My hometown, I was born there over 38 years ago, just in case anyone is interested. Never thought I would see it on Soulstrut.

I was there in 2000, don't recall any shops, but I probably was too caught up in checking out places I hadn't been since I left. If you are going to Madison from SP, you should be rolling through Wausau, which is a bit bigger than Point. Check the online Yellow Pages. Otherwise, folks should be able to steer you to places in the Mad City.

• i've pulled some great stuff from madcitymusicexchange.

That's where I got my (formerly) Maceo and All the King's Men for $4.

I haven't found anything decent in there for a long time, unless you want rock.

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
    Odd, because rock is what I'm mostly out for. Specifically of the funkypsychedelicfuzzyheavyonthedrumbreaks order.

• They don't have so much of that, but they have several crates of 60s garage/psychadelia.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

i've pulled some great stuff from madcitymusicexchange.

That's where I got my (formerly) Maceo and All the King's Men for $4.

I haven't found anything decent in there for a long time, unless you want rock.

marcus belgrave on tribe for 4 bucks, yesplease.

• How did you dupe them? They know about Tribe.

I managed to snag mine because they were pricing a recently acquired collection, so I asked if I could finger through it and they let me.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    How did you dupe them? They know about Tribe.

I managed to snag mine because they were pricing a recently acquired collection, so I asked if I could finger through it and they let me.

aPPArently they wanted me to buy that tribe record for 4 bucks, that's what it was priced at. someone dosen't know about tribe there.

• They have a bunch of Tribe reissues, too.