Groups in the vein of the ShangriLas and Ronettes

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I know next to nothing about this whole girl group genre, but the records I've been purchasing lately slay me like nothing else. Please to put me d with the knowledge. Bonus points for anyone who does the math on Phil Spector productions regardless of the group or solo status or gender of the artist. Superpoaster please don't post in this thread...

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dixie Cups

• buy this box set on CD then dig for the 7"s out in the field. serious top tunes on there.

• Crystals

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Marvelettes
    Shirelles

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    buy this box set on CD then dig for the 7"s out in the field. serious top tunes on there.

Man, this is so good--one of the best reissue/comps I've ever picked up... although the packaging is one giant PAUSE (each CD comes inside a mock compact):

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Reparata & the Delrons
    The Angels
    etc.

• Man, this shit is so good. Everyone has already given some solid suggestions. I'll just add that the Phil Spector christmas album is maybe the best christmas album ever.

The Jelly Beans
    The Cookies
    The Bobbettes

• buy this box set on CD then dig for the 7"s out in the field. serious top tunes on there.

Man, this is so good--one of the best reissue/comps I've ever picked up... although the packaging is one giant PAUSE (each CD comes inside a mock compact):

That's a strong man that can walk into a shop and buy that right there.

• Scorsese killed it w/ the girl group shit in Goodfellas. Fucking "Remember (Walkin in the Sand)" while they're digging up Billy Batts....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Scorsese killed it w/ the girl group shit in Goodfellas. Fucking "Remember (Walkin in the Sand)" while they're digging up Billy Batts....

Scorsese is the king of that shit. I can't listen to "Love Is Strange" wthout seeing DeNiro in a pink suit

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    buy this box set on CD then dig for the 7"s out in the field. serious top tunes on there.

That's a strong man that can walk into a shop and buy that right there.

Yeah, a stronger man than me--I ordered it from Amazon.

• the shangri-las rules so much. "he cried" is pretty much my favorite

i've been meaning to get this. thanks for reminding me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The best Shangri-La's soundalike is "Nightmare" by the Whyte Boots[/b] -
    the 45 can be hard to find, but the same track is on Lori Burton[/b]'s
    LP Breakout on Mercury:

Also, I can't find a photo, but The Goodies[/b] are a US girl group in
    the classic style who have a late-60's LP on Stax-subsidiary HIP, and
    a minor hit with "Condition Red" that can be easily found on 45.

From the UK, Goldie & the Gingerbreads[/b] are quite good and pretty
    slept-on, and then there are the Flirtations[/b], who pretty much kill it every time:

• Good shit y'all. I see my paypal balance getting smaller in the near future. Feel free to address me via PM with any doubles that anyone might be holding on to of any of these joints.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    "be my baby" and "and then he kissed me" are both produced by right?

i was gonna make a post on "songs that start out the same" and because those songs rhythmically sound the same, but i guess he was smart and playing w/ the subconscious that he knew he had a hit with one song and could make the other one a hit starting off the same?

nonetheless, old girl groups are one of my fav genres.

LOVE THIS FOOTAGE of the ronettes, they are so godamn hot

• I like the sound but don't have a lot of records or comps on it. However, this one I used to have and liked it a lot at the time:

It's centered around groups who were signed by Warner Bros. and a small handful of subsidiary labels (such as Loma). Some of it sounds like what they're supposed to be, Warner Bros.' answer to what was popular, but you'll also find some music on there that holds up very well. In fact all of it holds up well.

If you do an eBay search in CD's for "Girl Groups", you'll find quite a bit of titles from the US and UK.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the Flirtations[/b], who pretty much kill it every time:

Yes!

Dr.B. - you might want to check for Funky16Corners 'SOS - Heart in Distress' mix of girls groups/female soul as well - I think you can DL it from his site.

Also the Velvelettes.

• the Flirtations[/b], who pretty much kill it every time:

Yes!

Dr.B. - you might want to check for Funky16Corners 'SOS - Heart in Distress' mix of girls groups/female soul as well - I think you can DL it from his site.

Also the Velvelettes.

I really want to grab that mix, but I can't figure out where the download link is. Can anyone put me on?

• the Flirtations[/b], who pretty much kill it every time:

Yes!

Also the Velvelettes.

I really want to grab that mix, but I can't figure out where the download link is. Can anyone put me on?

co-grip

Tried searching for it through the Board with no luck. He posted it up as he does with all his site updates last year - in the Spring or Summer if memory serves. Might have to get it straight from the source. It's a great mix.

Not a group, but Little Eva has some great songs as well - Uptown is such a good love song: how her man is part of the Downtown rat race and it wears him out and drags him down and he???s got to be something he???s not. But when he comes Uptown to her, he gets to be who he really is ??? and that is someone she loves and supports and whose back she???s got. Sigh...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ahh love this stuff...great thread

• Not a group, but Little Eva has some great songs as well - Uptown is such a good love song: how her man is part of the Downtown rat race and it wears him out and drags him down and he???s got to be something he???s not. But when he comes Uptown to her, he gets to be who he really is ??? and that is someone she loves and supports and whose back she???s got. Sigh...

Great song. Also check out the version by The Crystals, which I believe came first.

• Lost classic: the insanely catchy "Opportunity" by the Jewels, on Dimension. Just spin it once and you'll be going "opportunity, whoaaa, opportunity" all day and all of the night.

will never tire of this one

Chains
    My baby's got me locked up in chains
    And they ain't the kind that you can see
    Whoa-oa, these chains of love got a hold on me
    Yeah

Chains
    Well, I can't break away from these chains
    I can't run around 'cause I'm not free
    Whoa-oa, these chains of love won't let me be
    Yeah

Now, believe me when I tell you
    I think you're fine
    I'd like to love you
    But, darling, I'm imprisoned by these

Chains
    Yeah

I wanna tell you, pretty baby,
    Your lips look sweet
    I'd like to kiss them
    But I can't break away from all of these

Chains
    Yeah

Chains
    Chains of love

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

will never tire of this one

Chains
    Yeah

Chains
    Well, I can't break away from these chains
    I can't run around 'cause I'm not free
    Whoa-oa, these chains of love won't let me be
    Yeah

Now, believe me when I tell you
    I think you're fine
    I'd like to love you
    But, darling, I'm imprisoned by these

Chains
    Yeah

I wanna tell you, pretty baby,
    Your lips look sweet
    I'd like to kiss them
    But I can't break away from all of these

Chains
    Yeah

Chains
    Chains of love

Oh great, this will now be the only song in my head for the next 3 days, such an earwig.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    the Flirtations[/b], who pretty much kill it every time:

Yes!

Also the Velvelettes.

PLEASE where is the link to this? im so eager to hear this.

and THANKS for the Girl Group Sounds compilation, it is fucking fucking awesome