Why do people like Galt MacDermott?

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Seriously, I wanna know. Is it because he has a few records with cool covers? His records seem to be good to find for cheap and resell is about all I've come up with. And that Nucleus record is a turd. Discuss "beatdiggaz".

Comments

• Which ones have you listened to?

• i dont know much about him but i have heard some cool shit. My buddie is a huge fan as has seem him live, so i will ask him whats up next time i talk to him. I think there is some really good stuff that you may not have heard if you've only scratched the surface. Again im not in a possition to give a good opinion, cuz i haven't heard that much, but i know he's not to be sleeped on.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    all the galt i have heard is i havent heard a bad galt track. I dont know a ton about him but he was doing his thing in what the late 60s? and killin it funky ass shit+white dude + musicals.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    well, I must admit I'm not seeking out Galt MacDermott records really but...

Which ones have you listened to?

Cotton Goes to Harlem ost
    Nucleus
    that Dude Salome Bey ost

all were pretty imo

• Nucleus is pretty good IMO. It's not my bag at all but it's not a "turd".

If it were a mediocre private female soul LP you'd like it better.

As a mediocre private jazz-rock LP I think it's decent.

• Cotton Goes to Harlem ost
    Nucleus
    that Dude Salome Bey ost

all were pretty imo

You need to hear "Shapes of Rhythm", "Woman Is Sweeter"... I mean the dude made "Hair". He's very talented. He has a shitload of records though and not all of them are good.

"ripped open by metal explosions" sons most of what is discussed here and on Waxidermy on a daily basis.

If it were a mediocre private female soul LP you'd like it better.

Why you gotta try to dis on my avatar??

okay maybe turd is unfair but... it seems like he's way overhyped, articles on him in every other Wax Poetics and whatnot. at least w/ someone like Bob James I can kinda see why people like it.

if Nucleus had a wack cover it would be a ten dollar record TOPS

• "ripped open by metal explosions" sons most of what is discussed here and on Waxidermy on a daily basis.

oh yeah, forgot that "woman is sweeter" ost. that one is decent, I will admit.

PS - I HATE musicals so maybe thats got something to do with it.

• If it were a mediocre private female soul LP you'd like it better.

Why you gotta try to dis on my avatar??

Haha I was looking at it like, "I really am not feeling that record" haha

I really like the 45 though. More growed

whats that other mega turd of his, Two Women of Verona or somethin? once again cool record cover though...

• Jeremy, I would definitely check out Ripped Open... if you haven't already heard it. The "Galt McDermot In Film" 2-LP compilation that came out a couple years ago has a lot of good stuff on it too. To me this stuff is like the American version of (good) Library funk.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Cotton Goes to Harlem ost
    Nucleus
    that Dude Salome Bey ost

all were pretty imo

You need to hear "Shapes of Rhythm", "Woman Is Sweeter"... I mean the dude made "Hair". He's very talented. He has a shitload of records though and not all of them are good.

"ripped open by metal explosions" sons most of what is discussed here and on Waxidermy on a daily basis.

This record store proprietor thing has led to a most unfortunate sort of open-mindedness on your part.

Jeremy, I would definitely check out Ripped Open... if you haven't already heard it. The "Galt McDermot In Film" 2-LP compilation that came out a couple years ago has a lot of good stuff on it too. To me this stuff is like the American version of (good) Library funk.

cool, I'll check it out man, thanks. I think I missed out on his good stuff somehow and have only heard his mediocre ost's apparently..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

"Coffee Gold" sons most of what is discussed here and on Waxidermy on a daily basis.

Jeremy have you heard his Fergis MacRoy LP's? I think they'd be right up your alley

• best stuff is harder to come by (besides hair)
    "bedroom" on nucleus is ridiculous. some ill godfather style ninettenth century funk. "coffe cold" "ripped open by metal explosions" and most of woman is sweeter & shapes of rhythym are top shelf shit. those are the three galt records i choose to own.

"Coffee Gold" sons most of what is discussed here and on Waxidermy on a daily basis.

Jeremy have you heard his Fergis MacRoy LP's? I think they'd be right up your alley

nope

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    'First natural hair Band' LP is fi-ya and contains one of his most celebrated beatdigger joint, the aforementioned 'ripped open by metal explosions'

But he's done hjeaps of other worthwhile but slightly lessern known soundtracks and musicals too:

And for fucks sake, he did HAIR!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    and I think people sleep on it cause its so common but the track Let The Sun Shine In is usually a hott as fuck highlight on any album which it appears

my favorite cover is the one on the Fresh Hair album (blue cover)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    best stuff is harder to come by (besides hair)
    "bedroom" on nucleus is ridiculous. some ill godfather style ninettenth century funk. "coffe cold" "ripped open by metal explosions" and most of woman is sweeter & shapes of rhythym are top shelf shit. those are the three galt records i choose to own.

Is "Bedroom" the one that was used on that Foxy Brown tune from a couple of years back?

"Two Gentlemen of Verona" has a decent b-boyish braek on there, but it ain't that fantastic otherwise.

I actually have a DAT that Galt MacDermot sent to me personally about ten years ago, when I was putting out some feelers about licensing his shit for release in the UK. Nothing ever came of it, but I burnt the contents onto CD and I may still have it somewhere. Most of it's probably been reissued by now, but if anyone's curious, I can put it up on yousendit or something. I had a couple of interesting conversations with him about his albums, though. "I have my albums available on CD, but all these young rap guys, they're not interested in the CDs - they just want the records." He sounded really bewildered by this. I figured out later that we must have had this conversation around the time that VIC, Finesse and the Beatnuts cleaned out his basement.

• I like his stuff - ripped open by, coffee cold and let the sun shine in being fav's

A few other burners turn up on this comp too:

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i never understood this phenom either

many follks have joyously "swong from Galt's Ancient Grey Hair Encrusted Ballsack"
    and celebrate his catalouge HARD
    hair was a "trend" and obviously he is schooled,an accomplished arranger/writer and "famous"

but his coffee has always left me a bit cold as compared to stepney ,axelrod or deodato
    there is always an exception of course

http://evolverov.com/metalexplosions.mp3

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Jeremy, I would definitely check out Ripped Open... if you haven't already heard it. The "Galt McDermot In Film" 2-LP compilation that came out a couple years ago has a lot of good stuff on it too. To me this stuff is like the American version of (good) Library funk.

yes. so is the other stones throw release with all teh unreleased joints
    "rhinoceros theme" and even some good compositions for commercials, the "cool it with contac" spot comes to mind

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think Galt is, per se, overrated but as a producer/arranger, I still prefer

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "swong from Galt's Ancient Grey Hair Encrusted Ballsack"

I note that the above phrase appears in quotes and would very much appreciate being directed to the original source.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    if anyone's curious, I can put it up on yousendit or something
    plaese to!!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    funky
    funky
    funky
    funky
    funky
    funky

• Shapes of Rhythm is so hot...great late night album. 'Tender Meeting,' was one of two prelude songs at my wedding.

Respe't the realitude.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Dudes need to get familiar with divshare.com