Elmore James

Jimi Hendrix

John Lee Hooker

BB King

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Howling Wolfe

T Bone Walker

these are pretty much the basics.

Lightning Hopkins is my favorite tho, be sure not to miss him.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    yo, i don't like the blues at all, sorry
    but for work i need to build a better blues collection
    whats essential?

I suggest you take a second listen. Without the blues there is no jazz. Even if it's only to get a better understanding of the music.

On Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual, Dizzy says jazz is in trouble if it loses the blues because there'd be nothing to hold on to. It's the core of jazz.

Good thread. I'm taking notes.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

I suggest you take a second listen. Without the blues there is no jazz. Even if it's only to get a better understanding of the music.

On Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual, Dizzy says jazz is in trouble if it loses the blues because there'd be nothing to hold on to. It's the core of jazz.

please refrain from trying to school me shmuck, i know what jazz is and i know where it comes from, i don't like guitars, thats why i don't listen to the blues and i can't stand a harmonica, hence i have no interest in the genre, like many other genres i respect what it was and its influence on the genre i enjoy but i never have the urge to put a blues record on.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Just trying to help, you hamster penis. It's not all about you anyway. Some other people may be reading this who don't know. Take your superior attitude and shove it up your culo.

Some peoples kids.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Delta blues isn't about instruments. It's not even about lyrics. It's about tone and life.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    elmore james
    Do you know many albums mr.james put out?

respect.

There are hundreds of Elmore James albums.

Yeah, but they all have the same 5 songs on them!

Elmore rules. and "Elmo" James, and "Elmer" James...dude has almost as many pseudonyms as John Lee Hooker!

Here's a few favorites I happily push on everyone:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    guitar slim green "stone down blues" feat. shuggie otis one of the first records i bought!

I don't know this. Is it a Crown//Kent/United release?

Dan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

please refrain from trying to school me shmuck, i know what jazz is and i know where it comes from, i don't like guitars, thats why i don't listen to the blues and i can't stand a harmonica, hence i have no interest in the genre, like many other genres i respect what it was and its influence on the genre i enjoy but i never have the urge to put a blues record on.

No doubt about it this thread is guitar heavy. May I suggest:

Piano players:
    Leroy Carr (Scrapper Blackwell is usually playing guitar)

Otis Spann (His best stuff is with guitar players including Robert Lockwood and Muddy Waters, but you can find solo piano stuff)

Georgia Tom / Thomas Dorsey (Like Leroy Carr this old primative stuff usually with Bill Broonzey playing guitar, he went on to write Presious Lord and is considered the father of gospel music.)

The above are straight forward old style blues guys. A little more sophisticated:
    Floyd Dixon (Elmore James fans check his sides with EJ.)

Charles Brown

Big Band Blues:
    Count Basie with Joe Turner or Jimmy Rushing or Billie Holiday.

Jay McShann

T-Bone Walker (His early sides are about the big band not the guitar.)

Johnny Otis (Pre Shuggie)

Bobby Bland

Jazz (Help me out here folks):
    Jimmy Smith

John Patton

Lots of other guys. I just can't think of titles and names now.

Dan

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This album is awesome, possibly my fave blues lp.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    guitar slim green "stone down blues" feat. shuggie otis one of the first records i bought!

I don't know this. Is it a Crown//Kent/United release?

Yes. Crown never had a crack at it, but I think it's from that period in '69-'70 where Johnny Otis was recording and producing a lot of stuff for the Kent label. United later reissued it around '73.

• Delta blues isn't about instruments. It's not even about lyrics. It's about tone and life.

Well said. And cosign on those that suggested Leroy Carr and Magic Sam.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Delta blues isn't about instruments. It's not even about lyrics. It's about tone and life.

Well said. And cosign on those that suggested Leroy Carr and Magic Sam.

Anyone: Magic Sam's "Black Magic" is good, too, if you like West Side Blues. And Delmark always kept those suckers in print.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts