external hard drive buyer help NRR

stilldigginstilldiggin 223 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
so im about to sleep on it and probably go tomorrow to buy a LaCie D2 500gb for $259.I think this is a good price, so i beleive it is a good buy. Anyone have any suggestions about other brands?I don't know much about storage devices, I have read some reviews and info but real feedback would be great.

Comments

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I'm still trying to find a sub-??200 drive that's perfect, but I've had a Lacie 250gb for 2 years - and apart from not mounting on a couple of machines (fixed usually by resetting the PMU), it's been good.

That said, we've had three Lacie's die at work in the past three years, causing absolute havoc.

Best system is a RAID drive, but that shit's expensive. My advice: use your Lacie - and back up whatever you can regularly onto DVD.

• i have a lacie 500gb drive. i think i've had it a little over a year now. a few sectors seem to have gone bad causing disc errors. i've turned off the drive and won't mess with it until i can pick up another drive. then i will copy off as much important info as i can and use it to store temporary data until it dies.

i've heard good things about lacie in general but seem to remember reading bad reviews about the 500 when i started to look up my disc error problems. i personally am gonna look for something more reliable when i look to buy another external.

• I have read that the bigger drives in the long run are more prone to errors. Some audio heads wont use anything over 200gb because of problems like you described. The essence though is always have a mirror of every drive you have especially if you have sample libraries etc(or back it all up on DVDS) cos they all fuck up eventually and you do learn from mistakes. HDD are getting cheaper and if you have a lot of data having an external case and a collection of HDD's is essential

I had a hdd drive die on me a few weeks ago and the guy in the shop said 95% of HDD can have the data recovered from them come back in 2 hrs and i will dump it all to another drive for you. 2 hrs later he tells me mine is one of the 5%

Now I have a spare 200gb drive I store in the cupboard and back up to every week.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    SEADISK is my preferred mode of hd action. i have a 350gb, and plan on upgrading to a 500 soon. the advantage to me is that you dont have set it to share over thge network everytime i turn the computer on. it somehow remembers. unlike my MY BOOK,w hich you have to set when you want to share, plus it doesnt even turn on with the computer(you have to turn it on and off for the comp to recognize it), and i had an issue with it once, which was easy to fix, but hella scary to almost lose all my shit.

• I've had zero problems with my Lacie 250 gb. Just stay away from the Lacie drives designed by Porsche ... they give people problems.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I used Lacies in my company for three years and I would never touch one again.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I've had zero problems with my Lacie 250 gb. Just stay away from the Lacie drives designed by Porsche ... they give people problems.

That's what I've got.
    On most machines, it's been fine... but I've had to reset the PMU switch on the motherboard on a bunch of others... and even then it's taken ages to show up on the desktop.

Hmph.