Sharon Jones now slangs Kraft salad dressing

shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
anyone else catch that commercial? ?or ?

Comments

• I saw that tonight. I'm hearing it, but I couldn't believe it. It was cool to hear though, but in a very unexpected place. I was going to say "I wish more commercials were that raw and funky" but then you'd have a new breed of fake ass collectors buying a whole bunch of records, upping the value and then claiming they are longtime record dealers, only to discover on their eBay feedback they've been selling home sewn underwear from 1999-2005.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    home sewn underwear

• home sewn underwear

Yes, I did not say that in error, maybe better phrase would have been "hand stiched". Or check out some of those items they sell in the "Everything Else" section, like those people who smear crap all over themselves and sell the footage for $15.

Yeah, or like people who sell recordings with
    just sounds of like insects or industrial machinery!

• you'd have a new breed of fake ass collectors buying a whole bunch of records

Isn't this exactly what happened when endtroducing came out????

• you'd have a new breed of fake ass collectors buying a whole bunch of records those people who smear crap all over themselves and sell the footage for $15.[/b]

• you'd have a new breed of fake ass collectors buying a whole bunch of records

Brainfreeze[/b] yes, I would think a lot of people at the time weren't aware of what was going on with Endtroducing[/b]. Summer of '99 alleviated the art of the "Funk 45" search.

• you'd have a new breed of fake ass collectors buying a whole bunch of records those people who smear crap all over themselves and sell the footage for $15.[/b]

It was a feast of feces. RAER STUULS!

EDIT: This is Soul Strut, I have to be correct about this for accuracy:

RAER ST????LS.

There.

• Yeah, or like people who sell recordings with
    just sounds of like insects or industrial machinery!

Those are good, they have some cool box sets of that kind of "found sound" at Aquarius.

ha - even though I had been collecting
    records, including soul/jazz/whatever, for years -
    and was working in a record store when it came out,
    Brainfreeze definitely inspired me to step my 45 game up.

• ha - even though I had been collecting
    records, including soul/jazz/whatever, for years -
    and was working in a record store when it came out,
    Brainfreeze definitely inspired me to step my 45 game up.

It did for me too, not so much for soul and funk (although I still want that Versatile Gents on Linco), but to find all of the other obscure stuff by people who released one 45, never an album, and that was it. It was definitely an "impulse aisle"-type thing, and it's there, it's unavoidable.

Anyway, back to the topic. Did anyone catch what Sharon Jones song it was? I haven't picked up the latest Daptone output so I didn't recognize it.

• Pick It Up, Lay It In The Cut from the first daptone release

It was a feast of feces. RAER STUULS!

EDIT: This is Soul Strut, I have to be correct about this for accuracy:

RAER ST????LS.

There.

^^^^ posting at the

• Pick It Up, Lay It In The Sandwich from the first miraclewhiptone release

• Pick It Up, Lay It In The Cut from the first daptone release

I'll have to catch the commercial again. Thanks.

• I'm not going to have an opinion on using funk to sell Mayo until Harvey Canal spaeks on it.

• I'm not going to have an opinion on using funk to sell Mayo until Harvey Canal spaeks on it.

It just caught me by surprise. I knew who it was, didn't recognize the song immediately, and whe I looked up I thought "KRAFT?"

Meanwhile, every surviving soul and funk singer over 60 is going "damn, I've been eating Miracle Whip for years, is that all it takes?"

Nah, if Daptone can bring back the cut-out records on the back of cereal boxes, we'll be alright. That is, if Danger Mouse or someone at Stones Throw doesn't already have this in the works.

• Well, Sharon ain't exactly an overnight success so props to her for getting some more mainstream moolah after decades of toiling.