This looks interesting (PBS Hip Hop related)

2»

Comments

• man, im so tired of this kinda shit. Fine, if you wanna go ahead and make a whole movie trashing hip hop. whatever. DOnt sit at the begginning and tell me how your such a fan of it. Just be honest and say you hate it, its okay to not like rap music. Lots of people dont like it. Its just not their thing.

or at least admit that he doesn't like gangsta rap or whatever the kids call it. I mean, dude says he grew up listening to Kwame and the Jungle Brothers. Sorry but that's not really a representative sample of "hip hop."

This doc looks real tired. if he went into the gay thing -- I mean really challenged rappers about this, which I doubt he has the balls to do -- then it may present an interesting new angle. otherwise it's just violence, objectification of women, blah blah.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i think some of you are getting this wrong...

it may not be representative , but he also mentioned bdk and all that. still--that was his era--and he purposely mentioned some 'posi' rappers because well--that stuff sold more in that era.
    getting to the point--
    i haven't seen the doc yet, but from hearing an interview with him on npr, he was trying to get to the point that the male hip hop audience needs to look at themselvs and examine why is 'bitch' part of the vocabulary? why is it that 'thug'nlove' stuff sells right now, but afrocentricity of the late 80s/early 90s doesn't sell anymore?
    because --he thinks it is part of a marketing image--and is this really the image hip-hop wants to put on black america, one that per[etuates sexism and violence?

you can't blame hip-hop for the problems in philly,bmore, detroit, etc--but some of what is perpetuated doesn't help or strenghten communities either. hip hop shouldn't be considered a savior of a entire group of people, but its influence reaches--and instead of perpetuating bad stereotypes and instilling this 'exotic' fear that whites have on blacks.

• I just Dj'd at a screening of this in Des Moines today. I thought it was entertaining though not necessarily filled with any discussions that haven't already been touched on. I didn't feel like dude took an anti hip hop stance at all. More that he was disappointed by the diversity in the mainstream product. It definitely doesn't point the finger at the music and say, "this is why were struggling".

Btw, the part with the white kid talking about colored people and listening to hip hop since it started in 92 was super painful/hilarious. It also prompted several questions from that audience about the White Rapper Show.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    malcolm-jamal warner should just die already.