"bougie"

profeignprofeign 145 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
In searching for references and explanation for a presentation i have tomorrow morning I came across this gem on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourgeois#Use_in_Popular_Hip-Hop_Culture___________________________________Use in Popular Hip-Hop CultureThe shortened variation of the term Bourgeoisie,Bugeee, can be found in many slang contexts. The term has a somewhat altered meaning, as it can be used in the negative or the positive connotation.It is though to have been first converted to its "street-slang" version by members of the Wu-Tang Clan in the late 1990's.The Hip-Hop artist Busta Rhymes also had a short lived clothing and goods company entitled "BOURGE".Its use in slang can be somewhat of a perplexity if one is viewing from an "outside-in" perspective. Someone said to be acting "bougie" may not be sharing, or may not be staying as it would be said in the venacular of the street,"real".the opposite is true in relationship to an object EX. "yo dog, peep this new watch, straight BOUGIE!"wherein "bougie" is used to imply the high end nature of said watch.___________________________________And no I didn't write that shit.Seriously, sociology majors shouldn't listen to hip hop. "The bourgeois inclination toward vernacularity and societal tropism endures in the aforementioned..." seriously.What in the hell does "bougie" mean, anyway? I never knew it could be used in a positive way, rather that it only means "janky" or something like that.Any help?

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

The shortened variation of the term Bourgeoisie.
    basically. but you know that

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That is a lousy wiki entry. Go listen to Gladys Knight & the Pips, she had a song entitled Bourgie Bourgie.
    Bourgie has a fluidity to its meaning. The best short explanation I can give is "being caught up" in one's image to the point where they would sacrifice comfort, friendship, and morals for material objects and social status.

• That is a lousy wiki entry. Go listen to Gladys Knight & the Pips, she had a song entitled Bourgie Bourgie.
    Bourgie has a fluidity to its meaning. The best short explanation I can give is "being caught up" in one's image to the point where they would sacrifice comfort, friendship, and morals for material objects and social status.

that's probably the most fitting explanation I can think of

• has the hip hop lingo gotten such a now that we b coppin Golpher terms

was this term mentioned on the "DOPE" thread

• Go listen to Gladys Knight & the Pips, she had a song entitled Bourgie Bourgie.

Didn't John Davis + Monster Orchestra do this? Or was that a cover?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ashford and Simpson have a song called BougieBougie.
    It's an insult when used by "Local Black Exp" Folks who hatt on the Talented Tenth.
    Check that Sanna Latham interracial flick on some of the culture. Shit goes back to the "House Ni**A" tension.New Money cats try to rep old money by moving to New Jersey. Whateva,. Shit is complex.Jack N Jill societies/Brown Paper Bag Frat skin checks/Phat Farm Yacht Ads/Sag Harbour Real Estate/Haarlem Brownstones/Inkwell/Hollis rappers/Grant Hill & Them/They Call Me Mr Tibbs/Spike Lee's SkoolDazezshit/Cosby Show/Skinny Oprah/Dwayne Wayne/Sidney Poiter/etc....

• and now for some of that Bougwa Bullshit!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's a term used by angry, jealous, poor people with bad attitudes.

It's a term used poor people.

Or by rich folks who call out cats who front on their roots.

Bougie = Will Smith
    Fake Bougie + Jay-Z

• as far as bourgie bourgie the song goes, i believe ashford & simpson did it first but that gladys was first to do a full vocal version. both are incredible as is john davis' cover.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Ashford and Simpson have a song called BougieBougie.
    It's an insult when used by "Local Black Exp" Folks who hatt on the Talented Tenth.
    Check that Sanna Latham interracial flick on some of the culture. Shit goes back to the "House Ni**A" tension.New Money cats try to rep old money by moving to New Jersey. Whateva,. Shit is complex.Jack N Jill societies/Brown Paper Bag Frat skin checks/Phat Farm Yacht Ads/Sag Harbour Real Estate/Haarlem Brownstones/Inkwell/Hollis rappers/Grant Hill & Them/They Call Me Mr Tibbs/Spike Lee's SkoolDazezshit/Cosby Show/Skinny Oprah/Dwayne Wayne/Sidney Poiter/etc....

Read a book, you illiterate sons of batches*:

*I am by no means endorsing this book or its author, but if names like Jack & Jill and The Links don't mean anything to you, you might learn something from it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    that ashford&simpson song is tres DOPE esp when used to open a great dj set a la that Larry Levan @ the paradise garage 2x discs which is one of the greatest ever.