Cardova appreciation Post

wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
gotta give a big shout out to DJ Anonymous, one of the first DUDES on the strut that really made trading records with strutters a pleasure for me---for the last 4 years? even though we haven't traded in a year or two, and sending records to finland is damn pricey:here's a list of all the mixes he's sent from Helsinki over the years, all very recommended:the Listen mix (still play it, classic)Party at Doug's place live mix (Dope;-) still playWorldwide live mix with him on 4 tables with someone (a little sloppy, but enjoyable)the Scandinavian Mix (so sick, it was a whole mix of records I'd never heard before hearing them on this mix)and now the Going back to my Roots Mix---Sampo you are that dude that makes trading records enjoyable and fun.Dude is going to be dj'ing my wedding. mad lovemike

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I had the pleasure of meeting him about a year ago on one of his buying trips. A solid dude indeed.

• Sampo's good people and a stellar dude to deal with.

Sorry for the delay on the rap CDs, looking forward to hearing them.

• Sampo's good people and a stellar dude to deal with.

Co-suomi! He basically brought hyphy to Finland, renaming the nation's capital "Hella-Sinki" in the process.

And I have it on good authority (from the much-absent Markus aka Jazzsucka) that he is Finland's best DJ.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    delay on the rap CDs,

yeah man... there's a sampo shaped indent in my guest room in brooklyn. i think the guy at the coffee shop on the corner even recognizes him now. No one I know can almost wreck a car so well, yet never have an accident. SUPER HUGE RESPECT to my homee, that guy breathes vinyl.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Excellent Meters tune

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Both Sampo & Roisto are classy dudes. Finland represent!

• Sampo is that dude.

He once gave me invaluable digging advice - "A****, sometimes the white boys can bring it".

Roisto is all class too.

SONIC

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

I got the "Back to my Roots" mix in what seemed like a day. Then I saw the Helsinki address and was like "damn". I had no idea. Hot stuff too.

• much love for that dude that makes the vinyl hunt a gentlemans game.
    risto the man too.finland gets big props. viis kulma is the joint

• damnn, i wake up and the first thing i see is this.
    i wanna thank all of you for the kind words and extend a shout out to all strutters past and present i've met either on my travels or in helsinki...

tom delay
    nate b
    tony l
    thiknek
    aaron sonic reducer
    aaron breakself
    aaron tuneup
    wyzewayz (we never met in real life, but i know we will..)
    paycheck
    joe mojo
    danno
    haz
    mao
    drewn
    motown
    dcastillo
    neville c
    mesh
    knewjak
    dreskiboogie
    cosmo
    catchdubs
    philmost
    whitelily
    diplo
    buscrates
    guillaume in mtl
    nick in mtl
    aleit
    kevin l
    sipreano
    faux rillz
    coselmed
    mikefreedomrock
    yoigotbeats
    josh in detroit

and last but not least my main man, one of the first dudes to show a foreigner some love, anibal aka NESS!
    whenever all you detroit dudes see that fool send him my love.

and if i forgot someone please don't hold it against me, i just woke up.

• big ups to cardova!!! super nice cat who def knows the score.
    i'm in toronto now if yer ever out here...
    don't hesitate to holler...

• Yeah Cardova is the man.

Dress

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Sampo's good people and a stellar dude to deal with.

Thanks again.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Sampo's good people and a stellar dude to deal with.

No doubt--and he always has nice records.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I absolutely co-sign this thread. Just got the late 80's rap mix ("Going Back to My Roots" yabettaaxesomebody) in the mail and it's been on repeat all morning.

Sampo has knowledge for days.

• He basically brought hyphy to Finland, renaming the nation's capital "Hella-Sinki" in the process.

i can say first hand that sampo's radio show, record store, and club DJing (not to mention overall nice dude-ness) is very much on point.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yes, big ups to Sampo! Always a treat talking to dude and picking his brain. Hope to meet up again on your next trip stateside.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

• anyone who sends out free mixes from Finland is a good guy. Some people wouldn't even cough up the change for media mail to send something to a friend, but he sent out Back To My Roots on the express tip and i've never met him before.

thank you for the cd.

• Hey, don't know the guy, but did Cardova do a mix called "Disco to get drunk by"?
    Really dug it. Thanks for introducing me to Mid Air. Would still be playing it if I hadn't lost it in the great hard-drive crash of 2005.

• Werwolf, Disco To Get Drunk To #1 from 2003 is still available for download here. On the same site you can also download #3 from last year, The TSOP Special.
    Volume 4 is just now out on cd, I'll do a giveaway whenever I have time next week so watch the Announcements section for that.

Those interested in the aforementioned Party At Doug's Place from 2003 can listen and download it here. That one is a tribute to a local bar/club we used to frequent and dj at for years and years. The place closed down in 2003, I recorded the mix to give out the closing night. Musically it's all over the place from jazz to reggae to funk to old school rap and whatnot.

• Werwolf, Disco To Get Drunk To #1 from 2003 is still available for download here. On the same site you can also download #3 from last year, The TSOP Special.
    Volume 4 is just now out on cd, I'll do a giveaway whenever I have time next week so watch the Announcements section for that.
    Ah, great, thanks man. How about #2...Is that out and about these days?

• I used to have # 2 on cd until recently, now they all gone.... I guess I'll upload it soon.