is it me or do the red hot chilli peppers blow chu

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    ANTHONY KIDDIS NEEDS TU PUT ON A T-SHIRT AND SHUT UP FOREVER

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    To be honest. I get people talking about them if they like the RHCP, or once did. But why would anyone that has never liked them or that style of music jump in and be nothing but negative?

Damn, if every post had people jumpin in sayin' that shit is crap. The post count in threads would by 10X what they are now.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I am interested in genius music and genius music only, and this crap is an insult to my ears.

Given some of the artists I've seen you ride for, this is a tad suspect.

You, too, are bound by genres and the same "sacred cow" syndrome as most.

Of course, my sarcasm meter probably needs a calibration. Also, no implication of the "Peppers" as "genius music" either.

Nope, no joke--why would anyone want to listen to music that you think is anything less than excellent?

You may question whether some of the music I ride for is genius, but I can at least say that it sounds that way to me. If you think RHCP falls short of that standard, then why are you messing with them?

Life is far too short to bother with music that you can't justify in terms of the way it impresses you as a listener.

Honestly I rarely do ("mess with them"), but I'll discuss 'em if it comes up. I do listen to the Frusciante solo lps often.

I guess I listen from "pretty good" up to "great" on through to "excellent" and "genius". If I only listened to the genius grade I'd be listening to the same 50 albums over and over. When I listen to the good grade stuff, it might bring back a memory or have a really good song or two, and it serves to point out the genius of the, well, genius records.

I will only fuck w/ genius grade ganj though.

But, you see what I'm saying then--I think perhaps we're just using the word differently.

I don't limit myself to full albums that I think are start-to-finish incredible--that would be a very short list. But I do, in terms of things that I revisit, try to focus on things that I think have some incredible aspect to them--it may be only a single song, in which case, I probably won't listen to the whole album.

That's not to say that I don't spend plenty of time voluntarily listening to bad music--I'm always looking for more good music and exposure to things that don't strike me as very good is part of that process--but repeatedly revisiting music that I don't think is excellent is not something I'm into. And "these guys are just having fun" is not a justification that even intersects with my experience as a listener. Good for them, I guess. Like I said, that's about as impressive to me as somebody that "just has fun" making sculptures out of refuse or something.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    To be honest. I get people talking about them if they like the RHCP, or once did. But why would anyone that has never liked them or that style of music jump in and be nothing but negative?

Um, the title of the thread is:
    "IS IT ME OR DO THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS BLOW CHUNKS"

So what exactly are you talking about?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Faux, I see you set yourself high standards as a music listener, could this possibly be related to your past as a musician ?

your past as a musician noise artiste ?

• And "these guys are just having fun" is not a justification that even intersects with my experience as a listener. Good for them, I guess. Like I said, that's about as impressive to me as somebody that "just has fun" making sculptures out of refuse or something.

No that argument is horseshit as far as trying to get someone to like something or explain why it's worthwhile. "They're just having fun." It might be an argument for saying something is crap only twice instead of five times though. I.e., "cut them some slack, they're good guys."

It should also be pointed out that "jock rock" as a decrier is a little lame because it seems a jock's mentality is cool sometimes on here and sometimes it ain't. I think the discourse that took place after the Rub's unfortunate incident at SXSW last year might be a good example of this.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

what are other sing along songs that everyone still knows?
    yellow submarine? GTFOHWTBS

sublime songs
    why cant we be friends
    proud mary
    lean on me

sublime is cool

rhcp are cool in thrashin

thrashin happens to be stylin

sublime songs
    why cant we be friends
    proud mary
    lean on me

This sounds like a party at Vitamin's house

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    soju and beer which i swore off years ago

Uh, every time I've seen you its been with soju and beer.....

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    [15-years-old-faux]I like to think of me more as a sound searcher than as a musician. When I see a teapot, I feel the need to find it's soul, it's true sound. Know what I mean? For you this is a garbage can, for me this is a new sound universe waiting to be discovered [/15-years-old-faux]

• soju and beer which i swore off years ago

Uh, every time I've seen you its been with soju and beer.....

every time is my last time. like last weekend, that was the last time i'll ever have soju and beer.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Um, the title of the thread is:
    "IS IT ME OR DO THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS BLOW CHUNKS"

So what exactly are you talking about?

If you read the first post. You would see that dude once thought they were ok. Now he doesn't like them.

Hey, I can understand maybe once coming into a thread and saying they suck. But to do so a bunch of times, when you've never liked the group is for???

Are you tryin' to convert the infidels?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    [15-years-old-faux]I like to think of me more as a sound searcher than as a musician. When I see a teapot, I feel the need to find it's soul, it's true sound. Know what I mean? For you this is a garbage can, for me this is a new sound universe waiting to be discovered [/15-years-old-faux]

Please be serious

"I was just having fun"

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

I am interested in genius music and genius music only, and this crap is an insult to my ears.

Given some of the artists I've seen you ride for, this is a tad suspect.

You, too, are bound by genres and the same "sacred cow" syndrome as most.

Of course, my sarcasm meter probably needs a calibration. Also, no implication of the "Peppers" as "genius music" either.

Nope, no joke--why would anyone want to listen to music that you think is anything less than excellent?

You may question whether some of the music I ride for is genius, but I can at least say that it sounds that way to me. If you think RHCP falls short of that standard, then why are you messing with them?

Life is far too short to bother with music that you can't justify in terms of the way it impresses you as a listener.

I don't really agree with that statement. Mainly because, and i mean this generally, not in an offensive way, but who are you? I mean its one thing to say you don't like something because it's not what you listen to or find interesting, but it's another to completely discount something in the entire medium because of one song that somebody played for you once.

Sublime's music doesn't melt my face off, but it has been playing during a bunch of fun times in my life. Am i impressed by it's ability to do be enjoyed by an 18 year old me having fun? No. But i look back on those times and can appreciate it for what is was. I didn't come out of the womb knowing the difference between a great musician and something that's catchy, so plaese to forgive.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    --why would anyone want to listen to music that you think is anything less than excellent?

cuz its fun
    yes

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Come on guys, 2 days and 3 pages of THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS?

• there are 2 kinds of food that are good in japan. japanese food and indian food. im being totally serious.

there was this spot where i lived and the dudes name was baba something and he was pakistani. he claimed that in the kashmir mountains or some shit, it gets so cold that they often eat these special red hot chili peppers to stay warm. and in fact, that the same red hot chili peppers will induce a high stoney effect. at the end of my meal he gave me one. its was the size of like a small rabbit poop. so i popped that fucker in my mouth and you know what?

i had red hot chili peppers coming out my ass for 2 days.

the "high" i think he was refering to was the constant buzz i had. not like a beer buzz, but my whole head was buzzing like when u get socked in the nose. it was pretty crazy and my ass hurtedid.

• which reminds me

i really liked that song

3 strange days by school of fish.

• I cannot be bothered to read the three pages of hate towards RHCP and the presumably deaf lame-asses who have the gall to defend these medium talent (if that) clowns. Truth is, they started out cool with Hillel Slovak on guitar and Jack Irons on drums. Put out some interesting, fun, energetic stuff. After Hillel died and Irons left the group, their shit started to decline. The Rick Rubin produced bloodsugarsexmagick album was the nail in the coffin. Kiedis is quite possibly one of the luckiest people on earth. He can't sing, his rap is weak as fuck and the tone of his nasally bellowing voice is beyond grating. There is no discernible talent there to speak of. Flea, while being a talented bassist is (at this point) just a tatted up, middle aged clown, trying way too hard to look like he's "into it". Frusciante was a way better guitarist when he had a drug problem. The drummer... playing the same boring beat, same predictable fills since he joined the group. They are everything that is wrong and soulless with music today. I HATE THIS GROUP WITH THE WHITE-HOT INTENSITY OF A THOUSAND SUNS!!!!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Kiedis is quite possibly one of the people on earth.

Not clonning you man, that is just a funny typo.

• Kiedis is quite possibly one of the people on earth.

Not clonning you man, that is just a funny typo.

I know... so much for stating the obvious, huh?

I just fixed it.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

there was this spot where i lived and the dudes name was baba something and he was pakistani. he claimed that in the kashmir mountains or some shit, it gets so cold that they often eat these special red hot chili peppers to stay warm. and in fact, that the same red hot chili peppers will induce a high stoney effect. at the end of my meal he gave me one. its was the size of like a small rabbit poop. so i popped that fucker in my mouth and you know what?

the "high" i think he was refering to was the constant buzz i had. not like a beer buzz, but my whole head was buzzing like when u get socked in the nose. it was pretty crazy and my ass hurtedid.

You ate a naga whole? Holy shit, that too hardcore even for me.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    RHCP = Genius Music

• there was this spot where i lived and the dudes name was baba something and he was pakistani. he claimed that in the kashmir mountains or some shit, it gets so cold that they often eat these special red hot chili peppers to stay warm. and in fact, that the same red hot chili peppers will induce a high stoney effect. at the end of my meal he gave me one. its was the size of like a small rabbit poop. so i popped that fucker in my mouth and you know what?

You ate a naga whole? Holy shit, that too hardcore even for me.

i forgot to mention the shochu and beer i was having with the meal.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    there are 2 kinds of food that are good in japan. japanese food and indian food. im being totally serious.

I'd love to try this.

BTW, New Mexico State University has a Chili Pepper institute:

http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/welcome.html?t=chile

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I cannot be bothered to read the three pages of hate towards RHCP and the presumably deaf lame-asses who have the gall to defend these medium talent (if that) clowns. Truth is, they started out cool with Hillel Slovak on guitar and Jack Irons on drums. Put out some interesting, fun, energetic stuff. After Hillel died and Irons left the group, their shit started to decline. The Rick Rubin produced bloodsugarsexmagick album was the nail in the coffin. Kiedis is quite possibly one of the luckiest people on earth. He can't sing, his rap is weak as fuck and the tone of his nasally bellowing voice is beyond grating. There is no discernible talent there to speak of. Flea, while being a talented bassist is (at this point) just a tatted up, middle aged clown, trying way too hard to look like he's "into it". Frusciante was a way better guitarist when he had a drug problem. The drummer... playing the same boring beat, same predictable fills since he joined the group. They are everything that is wrong and soulless with music today. I HATE THIS GROUP WITH THE WHITE-HOT INTENSITY OF A THOUSAND SUNS!!!!

FUCK, I'm sorry, I will never mention the RHCP again, sir.

Shall we call in "The White Stripes" next, sir?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I cannot be bothered to read the three pages of hate towards RHCP and the presumably deaf lame-asses who have the gall to defend these medium talent (if that) clowns. Truth is, they started out cool with Hillel Slovak on guitar and Jack Irons on drums. Put out some interesting, fun, energetic stuff. After Hillel died and Irons left the group, their shit started to decline. The Rick Rubin produced bloodsugarsexmagick album was the nail in the coffin. Kiedis is quite possibly one of the luckiest people on earth. He can't sing, his rap is weak as fuck and the tone of his nasally bellowing voice is beyond grating. There is no discernible talent there to speak of. Flea, while being a talented bassist is (at this point) just a tatted up, middle aged clown, trying way too hard to look like he's "into it". Frusciante was a way better guitarist when he had a drug problem. The drummer... playing the same boring beat, same predictable fills since he joined the group. They are everything that is wrong and soulless with music today. I HATE THIS GROUP WITH THE WHITE-HOT INTENSITY OF A THOUSAND SUNS!!!!

Who spit in your oatmeal?

- spidey

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Wow, I thought I was the only one who still brought that CD out come summertime. My secret shame revealed!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

FUCK, I'm sorry, I will never mention the RHCP again, sir.

Shall we call in "The White Stripes" next, sir?
    Finally someone is speaking the truth about RHCP, also don't get Soul Strut started on the White Stripes or Meg White's drumming style.....