rolling stone top 100 guitarists

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Where's Jay Jay French from Twisted Sister?

Bullshit list.

• Hey Pickwick,

Yeah, you're right - I realised that after I posted (not sure I'd call Ellen jazz)

i wouldnt either, thats why i said "most of" instead of "all of"

but looking at that list again there's a lot more than rock there. Joni Mitchell, BB King, Ali Fakar Toure, Steve Cropper, Bo Diddley etc don't seem to quite fit the bill either.

king and toure are the only names in your sentence that i would consider totally non-rock.

point is, there may be more than rock on that list, but it being rolling stone, it's gonna REVOLVE AROUND the big rock no matter what. down beat covers rock on occasion, but jazz is still their bottom line

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I can't find Prince up in this bitch.

That is pretty scandalous.

As much as he is a good guitarist... he is a Hendrix wannabe.

Self-admitted Hendrix ripoff artist SRV is #7. I guess that would make Prince, with his much greater originality and soul, about #5.

Seriously. Prince may Hendrix it up in his live shows, but that doesn't mean that he can't--or hasn't in his recordings--done lots of other things.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    E.V.H. #70?

• All the so called stunt guitarists seem to be missing too. Guys like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci. Not that I like their stuff much, but I always thought they were highly respected among rock people. Surprising.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I've always considered Eric Clapton post-Cream as booooooooooooooooooooring.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    RS failed to include the new anonymous internet web 2.0 guitar heros !!!

15 000 000 views, wtf?

• That list is wack. RS is wack. John Frusciante is a good guitarist though for sure. His work outside of RHCP has been fantastic.

If this were a private record fools would be jocking it hard. It has to be in the Top 5 of "outsider" records with major label distribution.

This list is ridiculous, like every single list they make. I think they do it just to piss people off.

And yes - as ghey as the RHCP can be, Frusciante is constantly

• That list is wack. RS is wack. John Frusciante is a good guitarist though for sure. His work outside of RHCP has been fantastic.

If this were a private record fools would be jocking it hard. It has to be in the Top 5 of "outsider" records with major label distribution.

Very good album. I'd be curious to know what would be the other four choices. Boredoms Pop Tatari[/b] would have to be somewhere in there for me.

• Seriously. Prince may Hendrix it up in his live shows, but that doesn't mean that he can't--or hasn't in his recordings--done lots of other things.

I honestly have never heard or seen the Hendrix comparisons, I hear a lot more Carlos Santana in his style, and a bit of Eric Clapton (pre-1974) every now and then.

It would be great if Prince did something close to Love Devotion Surrender[/b], yet who knows if he'll ever do that. Him and Steve Vai would work.

I'd like to see Prince do a song or two with Amy Stolzenbach.

• Buck Owens
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    Allen Holdworth

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    pleasantly surprised to see ry cooder so high

• All the so called stunt guitarists seem to be missing too. Guys like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci. Not that I like their stuff much, but I always thought they were highly respected among rock people.

Maybe if this list were compiled in 1988, but...

• Let's face it, there are a hell of a lot of better guitarists. Where's Scott Ian, Jeff Hanneman, or Kerry King? I understand Kirk Hammett, but there were other guitarists. Larry LaLonde? Yngwie Malmsteen? Tony Macalpine? Steve Turner of Mudhoney? Tom Price of Gas Huffer?

Ike Turner should have been up much higher, Top 5 even.

Why in the hell is Lou Reed in there? Didn't anyone see and hear that solo he did during the Amnesty concert around 86 or 87? What the hell was that?

And no respect for Michael Sasaki? Pfftt.

• Buck Owens
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    Allen Holdworth

Ha! I did a text search earlier on in this post and when nothing showed up after "Y-N-G..." I was kinda bummed.

Also, kinda out there, but no David Lindley?

• No love for:

Peter Moon
    Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
    Debashish Bhattacharya
    Melanie Vammen
    Al McKay
    Johnny Graham

• RS failed to include the new anonymous internet web 2.0 guitar heros !!!

15 000 000 views, wtf?

Thank god "web 2.0" must mean "no solo face."

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    No love for Pat?

• No love for Pat?

Not when Peter Moon is on my list.

• My top ten, if it were left up to me (for the hell of it):

Ritchie Valens
    Link Wray
    Pop Staples
    Ike Turner
    Curtis Mayfield
    Sullivan Pugh (Consolers)
    Eddie Hazel
    Travis Wammack
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe
    Don Rich (Buck Owens & the Buckaroos)

I should add these were the first ten that came to mind, in case more essential names come to me later.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    In no particular order.

Angus Young
    Steve Cropper
    Grant Green
    Jimi Hendrix
    Elmore James
    Jimmy Johnson (Muscle Shoals)
    Ernest Ranglin
    Jimmy Page
    King Sunny Ade/Sony Ohiri
    Prince

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Buckethead?
    As far as guitar-wankers go, he ranks pretty high, right?

• My top ten list of best guitarists I've seen live are:

1) Steve Morse (of the Dixie Dregs)
    2) Danny Gatton
    3) Roy Buchanan
    4) John McLaughlin
    5) Carlos Santana
    6) Pete Townshend
    7) James Honeyman Scott
    8) Taj Mahal
    9) Steve Howe
    10) Eddie Van Halen

• My top ten list of best guitarists I've seen live are:

1) Steve Morse (of the Dixie Dregs)
    2) Danny Gatton
    3) Roy Buchanan
    4) John McLaughlin
    5) Carlos Santana
    6) Pete Townshend
    7) James Honeyman Scott
    8) Taj Mahal
    9) Steve Howe
    10) Eddie Van Halen

i'm jealous you've seen McLaughlin- he's always been a favorite and never comes to my backwater town here

also, glad to see Danny Gatton mentioned- that dude was absolutely ridiculously good

p.s. i do not approve of the rolling stone list in any way whatsoever. OK, maybe they got #1 right but after that, pure embarrassment

• For the last 20 years - my choice is J. Mascis!

• No room for Davy Graham?

• their top 20 new guitar gods list is a little easier to take in, although I could care less about some of them. they do list Omar Rodriguez-Lopez who I think is out of his mind when it comes to playing, writing and producing.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    For the last 20 years - my choice is J. Mascis!

yes, and where is this guy on this list?

• Marc Ribot

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I can't find Prince up in this bitch.

That is pretty scandalous.

As much as he is a good guitarist... he is a Hendrix wannabe.

Self-admitted Hendrix ripoff artist SRV is #7. I guess that would make Prince, with his much greater originality and soul, about #5.

Seriously. Prince may Hendrix it up in his live shows, but that doesn't mean that he can't--or hasn't in his recordings--done lots of other things.

Prince is so good at everything musical, people overlook his guitar chops. Same with Willie Nelson. Prince owns that Hendrix sound on the Strat, but he sounds much more original on the Telecaster and the "symbol" guitar (I think that's a Gibson?).

I've been really into Homesick James and Johnny Smith these days.