downsides of moving (RR)

soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
packin records is wack, im pullin out shit i forgot i even had & feelin the urge to listen to it all, this shit sux considering i got 2 days to do it in...

Comments

• leave them at my place. i'll listen to everything for you and send you anything worth keeping

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    leave them at my place. i'll listen to everything for you and send you anything worth keeping

speaking of which, you wann use my
    it's birch color though, but could be a good shelf for the S**** S****...
    lemme know...

• i could use a good shelf for the S**** S****...

i'll take it dude! i can pick it up this weekend or whenever works for u

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i could use a good shelf for the Shig Studio???

• I know the pain.
    That moving shit sucks crazy balls.
    But it helps you re-familiarize yourself with some of your shit.

Now that I am finally settled in new place I am realizing that I don't know 1/2 the shit I got & whats worse is prolly have never listened to 1/4 of it.
    Someone could come in & snatch heatrocks & I'd prolly never know it for a long time at least.
    Add to that I cannot find anything when I need it & then forget I have it.
    And I don't really have crazy collection like some of you pimps.

I'm so fucking lost I one time remeber previewing a record somewhere, buying it for probably 5 or 10 bucks.
    Then later finding out I fucking already had it.
    I knwo I did this more than once.
    DOH !!

Is it me getting old?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'm getting my shit together for a maybe move. Not sure if I'll move or not but getting shit in order just in case. Got all my records laid out, organizing them, putting them in sleeves, etc. Fucking hard work. Gotta snag some more crates from Safeway soon.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i'm moving soon and have been going through my collection trying to thin it down. i've gotten rid of close to 200 records and it feels really good. still have another 1/4 of the lps to go through and the 45s. selling that shit for some gas money in the pocket too. shit that i would never listen to anyways. mostly stuff i picked up for the hell of it at one point or another. so much of that accumulates over time. my collection has gotten tons better by getting rid of some of it. plus i've been pulling stuff out to listen to and realizing that it's good.

for example, sonny stitt "so doggone good" and sonny rollins "horn culture" are two fucking solid early 70s jazz lps that i'm really glad i rediscovered. those are staying in the sonny section for sure.

but yeah, moving is expensive and a pain in the ass. but parts of it are really satisfying.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I moved 2500lps about three weeks ago it is a pain but 3 tips
    1.Get good small boxes (80-100lps) to save your back
    2.Sort them before you move (genres etc) it makes it easy on the other end
    3.I thought i would have at least 3 tips but maybe have a little speed when you are moving it is amazing how quickly you can load a truck

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Funny thing is I used to have enough records to pack maybe 80% of my Ikea shelf (same one pictured above) but as I'm doing this it looks like my collection has grown so much it's gonna have to overflow into some crates. I'm a mess and have always kept half my collection in piles and crates even though I had a perfectly good shelf for it.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

3.I thought i would have at least 3 tips but maybe have a little speed when you are moving it is amazing how quickly you can load a truck

a little speed? plaese to esplain...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I just went through this shit. It is NO joke. It's gonna take me a while to organize. The thing about it is I don't want to do it ever again. Honestly. I think I will sell the whole collection. It seemed like it took me forever to pack up and then I hired a mover and no lie, this guy pulls up in his truck and took one look at the collection and didn't even pump his brakes! He just kept it pushin'.............. What a fuckin' ass. I had to be out by the next day too. I drove downtown and picked up 5 mexicans on the corner and these dudes put in work. Real deal. I paid them $10 bucks an hour.

• I drove downtown and picked up 5 mexicans on the corner and these dudes put in work. Real deal. I paid them $10 bucks an hour.

HAHAH !!!
    There you go, man I picked up some locals to hook up my yard right quick one day before a bbq.
    $200, some lunch & a few beers later I had a spotless clean yard & them dudes was real happy.
    And that was more money than they asked for, but I broke em off just for working so damn hard in such short time.

Them dudes love puttin in work. or Jale' (sp?) as they call it.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

a little speed? plaese to esplain...
    Drug reference (amphetamines) not something I usually have but the transport industry runs on it plus I had a 3 storey house to move out of