mid 90s instrumental hip hop that held up

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• This dude Sketch sent me some shit a bunch of years back that pops up on my ipod from time to time, it's pretty dope

Also I heard that litterthugz show that's about to happen was CRAZY AHEAD OF ITS TIME.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    This dude Sketch sent me some shit a bunch of years back that pops up on my ipod from time to time, it's pretty dope

Also I heard that litterthugz show that's about to happen was CRAZY AHEAD OF ITS TIME.

You are lost in a space time vortex that is more nxet level than my own.

Can anything be added to this discussion that is not an instrumental version of a rap LP? Everything else seems to fall into blazing downer triptip spankitbodacious, no?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Can anything be added to this discussion that is not an instrumental version of a rap LP? Everything else seems to fall into blazing downer triptip spankitbodacious, no?

babu- comprehension tape
    side b produced by kan kick

i still bump that.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    what is instrumental hip-hop? hip-hop instrumentals? trip hop?

anyway, I think the following held up

shadow - endtroducing
    K&D - EP
    Tosca - Suzuki
    Peace Orchestra - s/t
    Thievery Corporation - Sounds from the thievery hifi
    NOW - Smokers delight & Carboot soul
    Dj Krush - Meiso
    Coldcut - let us play
    Dj Vadim - USSR repertoire + the first part of the USSR reconstruction rmxs

and with a creative definition of instrumental hip-hop:

4 hero - two pages
    plug - drum ??n?? bass for papa

i think those fall into blazing downer triphop

HYDRA BEATS VOL X: BEATNUTS 1997

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BVY94X5N

these are just beats, not used on any albums.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I guess it's tough to define what hip hop is, and the term can be loosely applied because of it's massive influence on all things, or the thousands of views on what it is in essence.

I am the last person to start putting things into boxes, but I started this thread because of my amusement of this mysterious genre that surfaces every now and again. It seems like such a lost cause or rather something that cannot exist. Sample based music can easily be nothing more than a product of its sources, and what makes it hip hop varies from opinion to opinion. Is it the technology and methods that rap producers pioneered that make it hip hop, or is it in the music? Am I really having this discussion?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

anyway, I think the following held up

shadow - endtroducing
    Dj Krush - Meiso

Yes. Can't really speak on the others other than to say that Thievery and Coldcut haven't ever done it for me. Not bad, just not interesting. Trip-hop is a bullshit term, as I refuse to let British hipster music writers define a vocabulary for music they didn't make (they just spent a lot of money on it). I always see dudes from that scene playing in the UK and rarely playing on the West coast *cough* Josh *cough*.

Honestly, when I listen to mid-late 90s instrumental hip-hop, most of it sounds like dudes biting Josh or doing some depressing downtempo crap. There's been better stuff more recently both on the big dude tip (Dilla, Cut, Z-Trip) and smaller productions

• Hate all you want, but the Book Of Human Language instrumentals are great to me. Outdated? Whatever, still love it.

J

I just 'discovered' Tim "Love" Lee, and really enjoy it. I don't know what genre it is, but I like it.

Gosh, I'm really tired.

• Yes. Can't really speak on the others other than to say that Thievery and Coldcut haven't ever done it for me. Not bad, just not interesting.

I only have one or two Thievery Corporation albums, and I believe both of them are variations of the Verve comp they did (the double LP and the 45 box set). I think someone burned me a copy of one of their albums too, or most likely another mix.

But... I've been a fan of Coldcut since What's That Noise?[/b], and I always liked what they did. There are a few things on that album that are a bit corny, but it was the first place I had heard "We're Doing It (Thang) (Part 2)", years before I knew what it was. They were doing things that I hadn't heard before, and they could move from dance tracks to funky tracks, and songs that would be used for TV show themes.

Coldcut didn't stay in one corner, they continued to develop their own style and production techniques, and of course would use a wide range of sound sources for what they did sample. A lot of what they do isn't hip-hop sounding, but their techniques still have elements of finding the core (beat) and decorating it with melody (Kraftwerk, Jean Michel-Jarre). I used to think Original Concept's Straight From The Basement Of Kooley High[/b] was a great album, and it still is, but when I realized that Doctor Dre pretty much used "Beats And Pieces" for "Charlie Sez", it changed my perpsecitve for a quick second.

Then again, there's an entire generation of hip-hop that used the UBB or Simon Harris breakbeat albums, since almost every song that had used the "Impeach" beat has the same crackle at the exact same point in the song.

• This still makes me

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Herbalizer put out some pretty cool records, some of it with lyricists, some of it instrumental. Their live record is Real Nice.

• This still makes me

one of my fav records of all time

and to add something to the thread :

the psychonauts 'time machine' from 1997 on mo'wax. still sounds good.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    This still makes me

stole my answer. one of the best albums of all TIME

• Where could one find that Wiseguys album? I haven't been able to get my hands on that one....

• I still feel all the dj krush shit from that period. I can even find endtroducing enjoyable provided large gaps between listening.