Who here was in the military?

2»

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    My brother was in the army, eloped with some meth head, and soon ended up a single dad. They spent most of the time threatening to kick him out because he was non-deployable and then when Iraq hit, they spent his last 6 months threatening to keep him in for ever. He's 6'5" and dark-skinned so they put him in recon as the joke goes. Drove Bradleys and got his spurs which involved climbing a hill for 24 hours with no food while his CO taunted him with MacDonald's takeout. He's still not a citizen as they promised to fast track his application via Nebraska and then lost it.

He did get away with disobeying superiors by quoting the old "Army of one" line Now he's the only black cop in his county. :semicrazy: but respect due.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

My MOS was desperately trying to hang on to people so I went from E1 to E5 within 4 years. I was the youngest sergeant in the whole BRIGADE. which was actually pretty cool. PLDC in Korea is the move. Its only 1 month and the place is famous for their hamburgers. I'm not kidding. Ask anybody that went to PDLC in Korea about the hamburgers there. And land nav is easy as shit because its all mountains with plenty of reference points. You'd have to be retarded to not be able to land nav that shit. And still, there were some people that couldn't do it. Night hiking was cool as shit because you'd get to the top of the mountain and be able to see all the city lights of the northern seoul metro area. it was really cool. also there is a subway stop at that post so when you get your 1 day off you can head into seoul for a few hours.

I went to PLDC in Korea also. Them hamburgers are , for sure.
    Cosine on the Land Nav. I didn't know how to navigate for shit but I got all four points, 1st time go.

Ahh, the memories.

He's 6'5" and dark-skinned so they put him in recon as the joke goes. Drove Bradleys and got his spurs which involved climbing a hill for 24 hours with no food while his CO taunted him with MacDonald's takeout.
    Was your brother a Cav Scout?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    He's 6'5" and dark-skinned so they put him in recon as the joke goes. Drove Bradleys and got his spurs which involved climbing a hill for 24 hours with no food while his CO taunted him with MacDonald's takeout.
    Was your brother a Cav Scout?

Yup 3rd Arm. Cav.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

My MOS was desperately trying to hang on to people so I went from E1 to E5 within 4 years. I was the youngest sergeant in the whole BRIGADE. which was actually pretty cool. PLDC in Korea is the move. Its only 1 month and the place is famous for their hamburgers. I'm not kidding. Ask anybody that went to PDLC in Korea about the hamburgers there. And land nav is easy as shit because its all mountains with plenty of reference points. You'd have to be retarded to not be able to land nav that shit. And still, there were some people that couldn't do it. Night hiking was cool as shit because you'd get to the top of the mountain and be able to see all the city lights of the northern seoul metro area. it was really cool. also there is a subway stop at that post so when you get your 1 day off you can head into seoul for a few hours.

I went to PLDC in Korea also. Them hamburgers are
    , for sure.
    Cosine on the Land Nav. I didn't know how to navigate for shit but I got all four points, 1st time go.

Ahh, the memories.

At PLDC I actually got along best with the infantry guys, which is raer for a REMF, especially Intel nerds like myself. But they were fun guys to hang out with and they tought me a lot of shit out in the field. One dude tried to convince me that I was born for infantry and that I should switch and all that shit. I said fuck that. I like air conditioning.

Was Photo Charlie still there when you went? He was the dude that would follow you around and take pictures. I got some good pics from that dude.

I didn't know you already went to PLDC. I thought you were still an E4 for some reason.

Did you get blood rank? I did. It wasn't shit. Those BDUs are actually pretty strong and the pins didn't even break my skin. And those fuckers hit hard too. I remember when that video broke in the 90s of some marines getting blood wings or something like that after going airborne, and they were crying like little bitches, the media went nuts talking about torture and bullshit like that, and all the services clamped down on it. People still did it though. I wonder if they still do. Probably not, I guess.

I still don't like the way marines roll their sleeves. or those pointy ass hats. doesn't make any sense.

At PLDC I actually got along best with the infantry guys, which is raer for a REMF, especially Intel nerds like myself. But they were fun guys to hang out with and they tought me a lot of shit out in the field. One dude tried to convince me that I was born for infantry and that I should switch and all that shit. I said fuck that. I like air conditioning.
    The grunts are cool. Don't take offense but the one asshole that I didn't like in my squad was a MI dude. As a matter of fact, most of us in the squad didn't like him.

Was Photo Charlie still there when you went? He was the dude that would follow you around and take pictures. I got some good pics from that dude.
    Ha, yeah, he was there and probably is still there.

I didn't know you already went to PLDC. I thought you were still an E4 for some reason.

Did you get blood rank? I did. It wasn't shit. Those BDUs are actually pretty strong and the pins didn't even break my skin. And those fuckers hit hard too. I remember when that video broke in the 90s of some marines getting blood wings or something like that after going airborne, and they were crying like little bitches, the media went nuts talking about torture and bullshit like that, and all the services clamped down on it. People still did it though. I wonder if they still do. Probably not, I guess.

I still don't like the way marines roll their sleeves. or those pointy ass hats. doesn't make any sense.
    I didn't get blood rank but I got hit pretty hard, damn near fell down.
    Yeah, I went to PLDC 5 years ago (they actually call that shit Warriors Leadership Course nowadays, ehhhhh). Still trying to get promoted to Staff but
    cut-off for my MOS is sky high.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    My grandmother was a highschool teacher in 1945. Canadian troops were stationed next to her school & from time to time the local sergeant would enter the (class)room during classes and select a couple of girls for his men to have sex with that day. Jolly liberation fun.

My cousin was in Somalia during the civil war. Right after the conflict, a photo of some Eurotroopers barbecueing an African boy (i.e. he was tied to a stick which was held above a campfire) found its way to the local press. My cousin claims that that was just the tip of the iceberg as far as having fun with the locals was concerned.

For six months I used to take the train to work at 6AM together with some military guys, after overhearing some conversation the only conclusion you could make was that they were some racist shitbags.

I'd like to meet nice guys who were in the army. (no homo)

My grandmother was a highschool teacher in 1945. Canadian troops were stationed next to her school & from time to time the local sergeant would enter the (class)room during classes and select a couple of girls for his men to have sex with that day. Jolly liberation fun.

My cousin was in Somalia during the civil war. Right after the conflict, a photo of some Eurotroopers barbecueing an African boy (i.e. he was tied to a stick which was held above a campfire) found its way to the local press. My cousin claims that that was just the tip of the iceberg as far as having fun with the locals was concerned.

For six months I used to take the train to work at 6AM together with some military guys, after overhearing some conversation the only conclusion you could make was that they were some racist shitbags.

Please to not stereotype all servicemembers by the actions of a few.
    Remember that the military is a microcosm of society. There's always going to be a few rotten apples to spoil the bunch.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

What country are you in (just curious)?