BILLY JEAN

izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Just to say...
Howard Hewett - Vocals (bckgr)James Ingram - Arranger, Keyboards, Vocals (bckgr), Handclapping, PortasoundJanet Jackson - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)Michael Jackson - Guitar, Arranger, Drums, Sound Effects, Vocals, Vocals (bckgr), Handclapping, Producer, Vocal Arrangement, Horn Arrangements, Rhythm Arrangements, Synthesizer Arrangements, Stomp BoardPaul McCartney - Vocals, Performer, Guest AppearanceQuincy Jones - Arranger, Producer, Vocal Arrangement, Rhythm ArrangementsJeremy Lubbock - ConductorBill Reichenbach Jr. - TromboneBill Wolfer - Synthesizer, Keyboards, ProgrammingDavid Foster - Synthesizer, Synthesizer ArrangementsLaToya Jackson - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)Vincent Price - Vocals, Rap, Guest AppearanceBunny Hull - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)Tom Bahler - Keyboards, SynclavierBrian Banks - Synthesizer, Programming, Producer, Synthesizer ProgrammingSteve Bates - Assistant EngineerMichael Boddicker - Synthesizer, Keyboards, Emulator, VocoderLeon "Ndugu" Chancler - DrumsPaulinho Da Costa - PercussionMark Ettel - Assistant EngineerMatt Forger - Engineer, Technical EngineerHumberto Gatica - EngineerGary Grant - Trumpet, FlugelhornBernie Grundman - MasteringNelson Hayes - Sound Effects, Stomp BoardJerry Hey - Trumpet, Arranger, Conductor, Flugelhorn, Horn Arrangements, String ArrangementsPaul Jackson Jr. - GuitarLouis Johnson - Bass, Bass (Electric), Guitar (Bass), HandclappingDonn Landee - EngineerBecky Lopez - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)Steve Lukather - Guitar, Arranger, Bass (Electric)Anthony Marinelli - Programming, Synthesizer ProgrammingDavid Paich - Synthesizer, Piano, Arranger, Keyboards, Rhythm Arrangements, Synthesizer ArrangementsJeff Porcaro - DrumsDean Parks - GuitarGreg Phillinganes - Synthesizer, Keyboards, Programming, Handclapping, Fender RhodesSteve Porcaro - Synthesizer, Arranger, Programming, Synthesizer ProgrammingSteven Ray - Sound Effects, HandclappingJulia Tillman Waters - VocalsGreg "Frosty" Smith Greg Smith - Synthesizer, KeyboardsBruce Swedien - Sound Effects, Engineer, Mixing, EffectsRod Temperton - Synthesizer, Arranger, Vocal Arrangement, Rhythm Arrangements, Synthesizer ArrangementsEddie Van Halen - Guitar, SoloistGerald Vinci - Concert MasterMaxine Willard Waters - VocalsOren Waters - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)Howard Wewett - VocalsLarry William - Flute, SaxophoneDavid Williams - GuitarLarry Williams - Flute, Saxophone, WindMaxine Waters - Vocals (bckgr)Waters, Julia - Vocals (bckgr)Larry Williams - Flute, SaxophoneDavid Williams - GuitarGregg Jampol - Assistant EngineerBill Reichenbach - TromboneBruce Cannon - Sound Effects, EffectsDavid E. Williams - GuitarStephen Saper - Engineer
that's what it took to make billy jean...is it me or we never gonna witness great music again???lol. I was just passin' by. No Anger. Peace and Hair Grease.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

LaToya Jackson - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)

Vincent Price - Vocals, Rap, Guest Appearance
    Vicent Price ???? must be a mistake

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not the song, but the thriller album. Right?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

LaToya Jackson - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)

Vincent Price - Vocals, Rap, Guest Appearance
    Vincent Price ???? must be a mistake

I believe those are the album--not song--credits and that Vincent Price appeared on the title track.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Julia Tillman Waters - Vocals
    Greg "Frosty" Smith
    Greg Smith - Synthesizer, Keyboards
    Bruce Swedien - Sound Effects, Engineer, Mixing, Effects
    Rod Temperton - Synthesizer, Arranger, Vocal Arrangement, Rhythm Arrangements, Synthesizer Arrangements
    Eddie Van Halen - Guitar, Soloist
    Gerald Vinci - Concert Master
    Maxine Willard Waters - Vocals
    Oren Waters - Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)
    Howard Wewett - Vocals
    Larry William - Flute, Saxophone
    David Williams - Guitar
    Larry Williams - Flute, Saxophone, Wind
    Maxine Waters - Vocals (bckgr)
    Waters, Julia - Vocals (bckgr)
    Larry Williams - Flute, Saxophone
    David Williams - Guitar
    Gregg Jampol - Assistant Engineer
    Bill Reichenbach - Trombone
    Bruce Cannon - Sound Effects, Effects
    David E. Williams - Guitar

notice the people credited twice, and a few 3 times...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yeah, are you sure you aren't quoting the credits for the whole thriller album there?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    There's at least two "stomp board" players on that album. Which of course begs the question...

...does Primo use stomp boards?

darkness falls across the land

the midnight hour close at hand

creatures crawling in search of blood

to terrorize your neighborhood

SPOOOOOKYYY!!!!

• Gotta be for the whole album.

I believe those are the album--not song--credits and that Vincent Price appeared on the title track.

and dont you have other things to clarify...

[color:white]flat booty head in the whip crash related [/color]

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    nope...it just concerns Billy Jean.

that's why some people are credited twice or more. It took more than a year to Quincy to get what he wanted. And all these people participated at one point or another. But their participation may have been discarded.

I got this shit from C12.

...Quincy Coming from Hollywood had very strong ties with all the top scale musicians, writers and techs. Bruce (Quincy's Chief Engineer) told me that Quincy recorded and overdubed about 300+ Tracks for Billy Jean alone...

There is too much misinformation in that thread for me to even attempt to address.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

There is too much misinformation in that thread for me to even attempt to address.

Oh, sorry, the Volvo wasn't black.

edited for the strut sensitive

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

You mean sleeping with a boss?

I thought that was under your recent purchases on Amazon...

that's why some people are credited twice or more. It took more than a year to Quincy to get what he wanted. And all these people participated at one point or another. But their participation may have been discarded.

So what do you think was Vincent Price's contribution to the unreleased "Billie Jean?"

"Darkness falls across the land...
    She holds the EPT strip in her hand...
    Soon she'll have him on the run,
    Quoth the Raven, "Thee brat is not my son!"[/b]

Sorry, I promise not bite MyLatency's style again for at least 24 hours...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

That's like sampling a sample

Okay, I've been debating with people about this for years...Is Michael Jackson saying "The [/i]kid[/i] is not my son?"

Because it's always sounded like "The child is not my son" to me (actually more like "The chad is not my son", but definitely more 'CH' than 'K', right)?

obviously yea...i was skeptical when i first read this too. But coming from Bruce's mouth, i can believe it.LOL.

That's like sampling a sample

sorry, I would credit the creator if I knew, but I just know I'm bitin' somebody...

Michael Jackson is saying "The [/i]kid[/i] is not my son?"

wait ...were you joking?....i hope

Michael Jackson is saying "The [/i]kid[/i] is not my son?"

Yeah, yeah, that's what everyone says...But listen to it when you get home and you'll hear what I'm saying.

"No" to either of your questions.

"No" to either of your questions.

are there any new hearing devices being marketed in the medical field these days?

...Quincy Coming from Hollywood had very strong ties with all the top scale musicians, writers and techs. Bruce (Quincy's Chief Engineer) told me that Quincy recorded and overdubed about 300+ Tracks for Billy Jean alone...

I have no idea who c12 is, but... Price has one cameo on the Thriller lp. Van Halen has one cameo on Thriller lp. Paul McCartney has one cameo on Thriller. These guys did not spend hours, days or weeks in the studio collaborating with Q. They went in, cut there piece, picked up the paycheck, and walked out as fast as possible. MJs vocals no doubt account for 90% of the overdubs on BJ.

From the liner notes: Greg Phillinganes Rhodes Synth, Greg Smith Synth, Bill Wolfer Synth, David Williams Guitar, Louis Johnson Bass, Ndugu Chancler Drums, Michael Boddicker Emulator, MJ Vocal and arrangements, Jerry Hey String Arrangements, Jeremy Lubbock String Conductor.

Thank you for sharing, check your sources.

Cooooooldblooded!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Dude, those are the credits for the entire "Thriller" album. You can pick up a copy anywhere, and it'll list exactly who played on "Billie Jean". And I don't think C12's comment about "300+ tracks" necessarily equals 300 musicians. Quincy may be as big a big dog as they come, but he isn't going to drag out Paul McCartney (who coincidentally sang on "The Girl Is Mine"), Eddie Van Halen (who played on "Beat It") or Vincent Price (who, er, rapped on the title track) to a session on the same track and then junk their contribution. It just doesn't work like that. Those sort of people are expensive, or at least their time is. They got egos as well. Furthermore, if you check the remastered CD version of "Thriller", you'll find Michael Jackson's original demo of "Billie Jean" as an extra track. Even at the demo stage, the main structure of the song was already there - Q hadn't actually done a whole lot different with it by the time it was finished. I'll bet you most of the 300+ tracks Bruce Swedien refers to were taken up by different horn licks, keyboard parts, ad-libs, drum sounds, etc, and it's those that were discarded. If there was a version of "Bille Jean" with Paul McCartney on it, or an Eddie Van Halen guitar solo, we'd have heard about it long before now.

Cooooooldblooded!

Sorry didn't mean to be cold.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    seriously, vincent price was not on billy jean.

And theres tons of records like that today. Pick up some celine dion album and see how many names you can count. Doesnt equal good music.

I feel what you are saying generally though.

but maybe some of them dudes was just there to sip a coffee and chill with Q.

I didn't make this list...it was a copy n paste.

but seriously, you arguments about "he couldnt use all these top notch musicians for one song" is bullshit.

If you are a living god and hire people daily, you don't have to hire Cartney to have him to "try" stuffs for a song. If he was recording near by, a phone call, a cab ride and blam, paul and Q was like cool like that...Same for others. Don't think it was like it is nowadays...Everybody was following the coke line (not that it changed much, but bizness-wise, people are more "aware").