Country Blues Anyone? (Record Recommendation Rel)

HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Lately I've been feelin me some honkytonk ish.Can anyone recomend some country blues in the vein of Jimmie Rodgers (the yodeling brakeman)? Thats about the only dood I've heard and liked 'cept Hank Sr., Patsy Cline, etc. And as sweet as Mrs. Cline's voice is, I dontthink she qualifies as country blues.Drop the knowledge upon me.

Comments

• East Virginia Blues, part of the excellent "When The Sun Goes Down: The Secret History Of Rock & Roll" series of CD's on RCA. Jimmie Rodgers is represented (since he was an RCA artist), but there's a whole mess of other artists in the same vein here.[/b]

Hillbilly Blues, a CD compilation of just what the title says on the ASV label from London, England.[/b]

There's also an anthology on the County label called Old Time Mountain Blues which should also be what you're looking for.

Also on the "white guys who blur the line between blues and country" tip:
    - Harmonica Frank Floyd[/b]
    - Dock Boggs[/b]
    - Hobart Smith[/b]
    - Roscoe Holcomb[/b]

And from the black side:
    - Mississippi Shieks[/b] (African-American stringband from the same era, who also had a taste of country in their blues, or vice-versa)

Buy anything you can from Boggs, Floyd, Smith and Holcomb - they don't have that many discs on the market between them anyway, and since they were so consistent, even their comeback records from the sixties are good as well.

Lately I've been feelin me some honkytonk ish.
    Can anyone recomend some country blues in the
    vein of Jimmie Rodgers (the yodeling brakeman)?
    Thats about the only dood I've heard and liked
    'cept Hank Sr.
    Hank, Sr. seems slightly more modern than Jimmie, but I think I know what you're hinting at.

• yes! those look like exactly what i was looking for.
    I've heard some ms sheiks and def. liked it.

agreed, hank sr. is a bit newer, but the kind of ound i like
    , just maybe more polished than jimmie (part of j.r. allure)

on a similar tip, has anyone hear the cd "song that elvis loved" ? all the og blues,gospel,hillbilly, opera tracks that elvis usurped as his own. quite good.

any other ideers?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• eggzactly!