It is Unprofessional 4 U to call me Unprofessional

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
This is the line I got from a "dee jay" ( I dont think you could really call him that ) that my boss hired to play last night at the club. This was something I was against from the beginning. First of all dude shows up @ 10 after 10 and doesnt begin playing until basically 11. I tried for 20 minutes to figure our how to plug in his 2 CD WALKMANS that he was going to play from. His friend and him didnt have a clue except to tell me I was doing it wrong. Dude claims to be " international world famous dj" and is clearly full if shit.This was not the first time he played here either. My boss hired him for thursdays and has been playing for at least a month and a half. I knew it was bad, but I didnt know it was this bad.At the end of the night when it came time to pay we pro-rated his wage based on the fact that he started late. He proceeded to blame me for not knowing how to plug in his equipment. I told him that it was unprofessional to show up late and not know how to use his own equipment. Then he said....you guessed it...." It is unprofessional for you to call me unprofessional"The music stopped more than a handful of times throughout the night because he wasnt mixing and had no way to cue songs. The levels were off and I didnt realize that he had unplugged EVERYTHING connected to the mixer so we werent getting any sound in the front room. It took me 10 min. after he started playing just to figure that out! It was kinda funny when I think of it now but when he said I was being unprofessional for calling him unprofessional i wish I would have said something to the effect of :"No, you know what would be unprofessional? If I told you what a fucking joke you are. If I told you that you are the worst dj Ive ever heard in my life and our lucky you've made it this far. If I told you an child could do better with a fisher price player and some seasme street rares.. if I told you YOU should be Paying US to play here...... "I wanted so badly to fire him on the spot and send him home, I called my boss and asked him if I could but he said no. We sold half of what we usually do an a saturday, and I think we would have done better with the jukebox. Anyways, its his bar so he can do what he wants...but cant I be a little tiffed for having to deal with this when I knew it was wrong and told him it was wrong?Ok, my rant is over. Anyone ever deal with any wanna be Dj's that somehow make it through the door?Similar stories of stupid dudes with a stupid set up?

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    2 CD WALKMANS = microwave.

this dood is in more ways than one.

that unprofessional line is dope though. im definitely gonna use it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    You really shouldn't deal with a boss that's going to put you through shit like that. Especially without any compromise or a bit of understanding. In almost every similar work situation like that I've ever been in. Where I'm trying to work my ass off because of my bosses bad decisions. I was always later put the blame on.

Before I would've Dealt with it, now I just plain get the fuck out.

- spidey

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wish you could have just told me to my face,
    instead of having to put me on blast like this!

Very unprofessional, yet again.

- SoulOnIce AKA DJ DuoDiscman

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I wish you could have just told me to my face,
    instead of having to put me on blast like this!

Very unprofessional, yet again.

- SoulOnIce AKA DJ DuoDiscman

• That's ridiculous. What did he use the other times he played??

• Why doesn't your boss pay you to play?

God, I played a gig with 2 discmans when I was 12... and I was embarrased then! But at least there was no dead air!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I dont really know what he has been using recently but I do know some other guy sold my boss on the night and they had a falling out. Apparently the other guy was the one with cd djs but it has always sucked. The music wasnt so bad really, but the lack of techincal skill with these guys is insane.

Its a pretty big mess as I have been going back and forth with my boss for several weeks through email and phone calls trying to tell him these guys were taking advantage of him and all that. I think he took it the wrong way on more than one occasion and I was feeling like my opinions werent being valued. I just wanted to let the chips fall I guess. Ive tried to quit, but its hard to let go sometimes.

• I have a friend who was asked to dj at a bar, and only brought two discmen, ended up rocking that shit and the owner just wanted to know when he could come back.
    People loved it, nobody gives a fuck.

• you're at XV right? shit's always mad confused there. from personal experience i wouldn't blame just the wanna be dj. no offense.

Hi Blackmarks! Whatup? Yeah, You should read through it one more time because I certainly didnt give the "dj" all the credit for fucking shit up. Infact, just the opposite. And if your talking about your personal experience with F**n well then you should keep in mind that it is unprofessional to bring something up here, with me when I had nothing to do with booking you or contacting you to play there. no offense.

Props to your friend Otis if he can rock a couple walkmans......I know the general public might not be able to tell the difference and doesnt care...but I do. And like I said we sold half as much as a normal saturday so it reflected the overall outcome without a doubt.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    And like I said we sold half as much as a normal saturday so it reflected the overall outcome without a doubt.

first of all...what up Alice...good people you is

second....the above quoted statement really says it. Alice if your bar did shitty sales, then that is enough for the owner to make up their mind on this dude right there. If the owner can't wake up to that fact, then i suggest a bounce to another bar that will appreciate your services, as sooner or later they will take it out on you if you don't.

• Wow. I have been saying this for the last 15 years: any DJ who does not know how to operate or setup his equipment is not a real DJ. I've seen and had many associates who can't even figure out the the 'output' of a sound source goes to the 'input' of a receiver/mixer.

case in point: i entered this little 'mix contest' that some italian watch company is putting on (hey, 1st place is $5000 and i only have to play for a total of 30 mins), and dude who went on after me was total joke. First off, he was supposed to go on BEFORE me, and he shows up 15 minutes late for a 10 minute set. They had a perfect setup - spanking new 1200s, Pioneer DJM800, Pioneer CDJ1000MK3s and Sair-ah-toe with those high-end ultra thin PA speakers. After his first mix, I see him asking one of the organizers how to eject a CD from the CDJ - wtf?!!? - after his second mix, the sound inexplicably cuts out and the same organizer comes up and looks like she just turns up the master volume on the mixer. To top it all off, this dude had an entourage with a photographer AND videographer. I just brought my girlfriend. Seriously, we played for 10 minutes each to 5 people, and our mixes were recorded for the judges to listen to later. It's not like we were playing to a packed house on Ibisa. and dude brought 4 of those extra-large books of CDs that probably hold 300 discs each. It's 10 minutes dude! You'll be lucky if you play more than 10 songs!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

case in point: i entered this little 'mix contest' that some italian watch company is putting on (hey, 1st place is $5000 and i only have to play for a total of 30 mins), and dude who went on after me was total joke. First off, he was supposed to go on BEFORE me, and he shows up 15 minutes late for a 10 minute set. They had a perfect setup - spanking new 1200s, Pioneer DJM800, Pioneer CDJ1000MK3s and Sair-ah-toe with those high-end ultra thin PA speakers. After his first mix, I see him asking one of the organizers how to eject a CD from the CDJ - wtf?!!? - after his second mix, the sound inexplicably cuts out and the same organizer comes up and looks like she just turns up the master volume on the mixer. To top it all off, this dude had an entourage with a photographer AND videographer. I just brought my girlfriend. Seriously, we played for 10 minutes each to 5 people, and our mixes were recorded for the judges to listen to later. It's not like we were playing to a packed house on Ibisa. and dude brought 4 of those extra-large books of CDs that probably hold 300 discs each. It's 10 minutes dude! You'll be lucky if you play more than 10 songs!

Let me guess - he won, right?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Alice,
    I bet this "dee-jay" had a lot of hair gel, huh?

that's always a bad sign!

Sounds like that bar isn't really in it for the DJ's or music. I can't really say, of course, since I have not been there. Especially, when the bar is not making the much money.

he could hire these dudes:

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Props to your friend Otis if he can rock a couple walkmans......I know the general public might not be able to tell the difference and doesnt care...but I do. And like I said we sold half as much as a normal saturday so it reflected the overall outcome without a doubt.

Nah, I don't buy that either. Considering that the usual Saturday DJ is Mr. Jeigh, who kills it on a regular basis, and many talented DJs have come through, such as Soulstrut's Doc Delay and DJ Day, there's no reason your boss shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good DJ and an inexperienced wannabe. I know the crowds at XV can.

I failed to mention that this night was called Gypsymania so he didnt have any hair gel but he did smell really really bad.

It was supposed to be some kind of "world music vibe" or anything Not Hip Hop related. My boss has been on this kick of trying to get something a little more eclectic going which is fine, but I know guys that could come in with some latin ish / afro-cuban stuff or even some dub-step would be better than this. Also My boss forgot to keep in mind that gypsy's dont have money.

I appreciate all the comments regarding this event. WHAT UP AA**N!!!

I emailed my boss this morning and said shit has got to end. I need to have the line up for this weeks paper in by 5 pm today and I still havent heard back from him.

It is a huge conflict of interest and always has been since I am one of the lead bartenders and the booking person. Ive had a hard time dealing with the staff having their hands in the cookie jar as well. I think perhaps it has reached its end though.

My boss means well and is all into the change is good kinda thing. His intentions are fine but he is really spacey and sometimes I dont think he even reads the emails I send him. You know what they say...intentions are meaningless and actions are divine.

Its just really hard for me because when something like this happens people assume I had something to do with it which is NAGL at all

Nah, I don't buy that either. Considering that the usual Saturday DJ is Mr. Jeigh, who kills it on a regular basis, and many talented DJs have come through, such as Soulstrut's Doc Delay and DJ Day, there's no reason your boss shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good DJ and an inexperienced wannabe. I know the crowds at XV can.

Exactly...Plus we have had Hogg and Neta, Mike2600, Revolution, Exile, Frane, Shines, Ohmega Watts the list goes on.

My boss has been on this kick of trying to get something a little more eclectic going which is fine, but I know guys that could come in with some latin ish / afro-cuban stuff or even some dub-step would be better than this.

It seems to me it would make a lot more sense for your boss to do this on a week night. XV is centrally located and it probably wouldn't take too long to get a good night going with decent attendance. But Fridays and Saturdays? With all the other clubs right around there, he'll kill business if he doesn't cater to the regular crowd.

This I know...its so complicated. With this particular thing I emailed him several weeks ago to let him know that the gypsy thing wasnt working on thursdays and they had too much exposure with the same night on a friday and a saturday at 2 different clubs. I thought it was over kill.

He must have read the email wrong because next thing I knew he was asking gypsy dude if he WANTED TO PLAY 2 SATURDAYS A MONTH!!!! WTF

He totally got it twisted, I was trying to tell him it needed to end and he thought I was saying do it more?? NO, if it aint swinging on a thursday it certainly not going to fly on a weekend.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I failed to mention that this night was called Gypsymania

And you're surprised that this night sucked?

No not at all because I was against it from the beginning.

It tried to tell him...I tried and I tried and I tried again.

Thats why I was saying I didnt think my opinion was being valued as the booking person.

Honestly this is the best job and certainly best boss Ive ever had as far as letting me do what I want in regards to the music for the most part. On the bartending end I worked up from ground zero and I do love doing what I do and consider myself lucky. One thing that is cool is generally he does take people opinions into consideration but then other times he doesnt. It is kind of touch and go in certain situations.
    He gets a wild idea or somebody from the outside comes in and sells him on something that may not be the best for all involved from the staff to the Dj's. All in all I would say he likes going for the under dog and likes to give people chances which is dope except when people are trying to get over on him and rip him off which I feel is part of my job to prevent. The gypsy dudes were all talk plain and simple.

Ok, I just got the email from him stating that he is still going to let dude play one last thursday.

I dont know what to do.

My stomach feels like a bag of bricks.

I would never stand for this and just let it slide...... and sure enough he was upset that we called dude unprofessional.

man this makes me so sad.mad.

He says no hip hop on saturdays, fridays only. world music on saturdays.

can you guys help me write my resignation letter now??

what should I do? I dont know what to do?

This is so frustrating.

• Ok, I just got the email from him stating that he is still going to let dude play one last thursday.

I dont know what to do.

greet him warmly and do NOTHING for him. when he asks for help simply reply, "you're the world-wide professional DJ - hooking up your gear to our sound system should be well within your skill set."

He says no hip hop on saturdays, fridays only. world music on saturdays.

I'm sure your boss is nice, but that's just dumb. I would be surprised if this lasted more than two weeks. Very few people in this town are going downtown on a Saturday night to listen to world music. Canl any of your co-workers back you up on this?

• hip hop makes the world go round

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Sounds like alot of classic cocaine-fueled decision making by the club owner.
    My condolences.

• Damn!!! finally got the internets hooked up over here...should have called me and I would have bum rushed the booth like KRS did PM Dawn...I ran into Drew at Plaid Pantry and he was telling me how bad Thurs. nights have been with that coke filled dude...holler at ya boy

J

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Alice...

best thing about this is that you care. You care that the bar is not making the money it should, and you care that the music sucks, and you care that folks are not having a good time. All this wraps into one message for me, and that is that you have what it takes to open your own spot. When you are that invested, there is only one route to follow through on and that is running your own shit. I did it and have never been happier or more financially secure. Save up some money and do it !!!!!!!!!