Advice re: french modern soul ebayer (NOT PAYPAL)

roneazyroneazy 111 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
hey guys... recently sold a record on ebay which was not in the best shape (had a heat warp), but for it's rarity's sake and my own fiduciary needs, I decided to try and sell it anyway. It sold for almost what a perfect copy goes for to - you guessed it - a french modern soul / boogie teenager. well, despite me posting soundclips and describing it as it was, this guy now is playing dumb (or literally is OR can't read l'anglais) and wants his cash back, etc. etc. report to ebay, blah blah blah. Now, he did NOT pay me via Paypal - instead, he paid via Western Union... however, he has filed a dispute console for the 'item not as described' function. i've had difficulty in the past with the french and i know some of you have too... any words of advice on this one?thanks!!!!RON

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    pee in his soup.

• pee in his soup.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i'm having problems as we speak... .
    not to single out the french modern soul/boogie/funk collectros but... fuggit, i'm gunna single 'em out. shit is maaaaaaaaad weak! alot of these corny cats treat ebay like its some game. for godsakes people... if you bid on a record and win, pay for the shit. and would it hurt to do it within a week. the french are my least favorite ebay herbs to deal with and the phony bidder shit is completely played out. i know i know... talkin' shit about french collectros has been done to great extent on this board but shit won't end. its like some secret scam boogie club over there... "hahaha- stupid 'mericans! this moder is all mine! and you can't catch me!"

****rant over****

• well, despite me posting soundclips and describing it as it was,

imo,

if a record is warped it should always be stated in the auction description as well as if the warp affects the play or not. You're in the right as long as you stated this in your auction (and it appears you did as you provided a sound clip)

ps. viva la france

• well, despite me posting soundclips and describing it as it was,

imo,

if a record is warped it should always be stated in the auction description as well as if the warp affects the play or not. You're in the right as long as you stated this in your auction (and it appears you did as you provided a sound clip)

ps. viva la france

yep.. did both. I even included a soundclip of *EVERY* track on the album to demonstrate where the warp affects play and where it doesn't. Even Ebay has to see it my way on that front - I just don't want the bad feedback to tarnish my current 100%.

he doesn't seem THAT bad, but I'm not sure if this happenned BECAUSE he can't read english or doesn't understand it well (surely, our communcations thus far have been quite impaired, except he understands UNKNOWN MODERN SOUL very well). In either case, I agree with the fact that some people on ebay treat it like a game.. whereas others, like me, treat it like AN INCOME and use it for real world things like food, rent, prophylactics, etc. etc.

RON

• hey ron not to call out dude but what's his id name ?

the french are really cool. whenever i go to france i have the greatest time. my sister in law and niece are french (half french at least). but something about this modern soul stuff and problems it is exactly like a club of some sort.

although marcfunk ain't french. i just think it's the language problem; misunderstandings and whatnot.

• MortiMorti 68 Posts
    I can translate some explanations in french for you if that can help.

• hey ron not to call out dude but what's his id name ?

the french are really cool. whenever i go to france i have the greatest time. my sister in law and niece are french (half french at least). but something about this modern soul stuff and problems it is exactly like a club of some sort.

although marcfunk ain't french. i just think it's the language problem; misunderstandings and whatnot.

Hey there Dave..

id name: biscott6 [/b]

yo i'm not saying anything about the french overall - I loved france and I'd go back there in a flash. i had a great time and met some really cool people. the whole record problem though with this group of cats - it is a bit out of hand. there is a scene in japan, too, with the various genres and you don't hear the same number of problems about the japanese who would also have a language barrier. i think suspect there is a quasi-northern soul scene (substituted with boogie and modern stuff) among the north african youth, but they don't deal with ebay the way the rest of the world does. it seems to them to be more of a game then for the rest of the world, i think and they treat it as such. i bet you the average age of some of these buyers is quite young, which would explain some of the problems.

honestly man, if i didn't include a soundclip AND a description of what the problem was, then i wouldn't have even posted this problem and i'd have sent the dude his money back, or NOT even sell the item. however, it is VERY rare (and good might i add - not your standard modern bullshit record), and after all that effort, to still run into this isn't cool. personally, i wouldn't buy something on a website in a language i didn't understand, especially for almost $400! i want to be the nice guy, but in the back of my head, i keep hearing 'don't play the game if you don't know the rules'... knowwhatimean?

ron

• I can translate some explanations in french for you if that can help.

thanx man. it might come to this.

RON

• I just don't want the bad feedback to tarnish my current 100%.

this is the problem...people get too hung up on the perfect feedback bullshit. i'm not afraid to take a negative every once in awhile if it means standing up to injustice in the online record world. but if the feedback is more important to you than the money, then have him send it back and give him a refund. if it isn't, tell him to fuck off and take the negative. what's his feedback like? In my experience most of these French ebayers aren't registered users for more than a couple months, so even if you get negative feedback it will probably be gone pretty soon.

• I just don't want the bad feedback to tarnish my current 100%.

this is the problem...people get too hung up on the perfect feedback bullshit. i'm not afraid to take a negative every once in awhile if it means standing up to injustice in the online record world. but if the feedback is more important to you than the money, then have him send it back and give him a refund. if it isn't, tell him to fuck off and take the negative. what's his feedback like? In my experience most of these French ebayers aren't registered users for more than a couple months, so even if you get negative feedback it will probably be gone pretty soon.

i hear this man... he doesn't seem very shady, but definitely marcofunk-ish. gotta think about it i guess.. thanks for the advice to this point folks! much appreciated, and anymore would be great, too!

best,

RON

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I just don't want the bad feedback to tarnish my current 100%.

i hear this man... he doesn't seem very shady, but definitely marcofunk-ish. gotta think about it i guess.. thanks for the advice to this point folks! much appreciated, and anymore would be great, too!

best,

RON

You're obviously in the right here, no one on this board would go bidding on an auction in a language they didn't understand, especially throwing around that kind of money.

Real issue is that paypal and eBay are run by robots, so he can say fuck all about your auction and you really don't have any power over it (though his English is probably going to look silly and incomprehensible). I'd preemtively try to get in touch with eBay before he starts filing complaints and all that and try to explain the situation. Either that or offer a refund, with shipping at his expense.

If I ever go to France, I am traveling with CRATES of Modern Soul turds and setting up on a street corner.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    standing up to injustice in the online record world.

hmmmm. it's difficult to make these graemlins appear sarcastic.