Microsoft Vista

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Shit looks pretty cool, but it won't let me run Firefox or import my Eudora files- bogus.I do have a slideshow running of scenic animal pictures on the side of my desktop though.someone please tell me how to get my old Eudoram email info from my old computer onto my new computer which is running Outlook. I'm not sure if I keep thinking of the new add with the "PC" about to have surgery and he's in his hospital gown.

Comments

• Haven't experienced Vista yet, but I did hear that Vista infringes on personal privacy. Can't download stuff without basic info passed on to MS. Again, I can't confirm this..but if true, no way I'm supporting it!

• I'm not touching Vista until it's a had a good run. I just built a computer for my office and opted for XP Pro instead.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Haven't experienced Vista yet, but I did hear that Vista infringes on personal privacy. Can't download stuff without basic info passed on to MS. Again, I can't confirm this..but if true, no way I'm supporting it!

I heard microsoft implants a camera in your monitor and sends the government video files of you using the computer. Turning the world into Cam girls for Bill gates personal enjoyment.

- spidey

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I heard from a nerdy friend that Vista is to crack. He's still fighting though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Haven't experienced Vista yet, but I did hear that Vista infringes on personal privacy. Can't download stuff without basic info passed on to MS. Again, I can't confirm this..but if true, no way I'm supporting it!

I heard microsoft implants a camera in your monitor and sends the government video files of you using the computer. Turning the world into Cam girls for Bill gates personal enjoyment.

- spidey

No No.. I heard that if you forward a certain Microsoft e-mail to atleast 10 people. That Bill will come to your place. Kick you in the nutz and sleep with ur girlfriend. AND install vista on all your computers (Including Macs) so he can once again rule the universe.

I'm thinking of getting an OEM version now. I just read an article thats making me want to upgrade my asus board. And with Vista, it would make it pretty wicked.

Any Vista nerds might wanna check it out. There's some dope stuff.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q1/asus-vistaedition/index.x?pg=1

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I wouldn't use Vista at least until Service Pack 1 is out and maybe even a year after that. If you are using your computer for any audio shit, do not switch to Vista unless you want to go crazy.

I wouldn't use Vista at least until Service Pack 1 is out and maybe even a year after that. If you are using your computer for any audio shit, do not switch to Vista unless you want to go crazy.

Why? I used XP even before it was released. Never had a problem. I didn't see anyone say "Hey, I'm not getting a mac" when they changed to Intel chips just because of issues with pro tools, Microwave, etc (Rosetta yo!). There were some big issues with the move to x86. Some apps still ain't fully up to par. But that shouldn't stop anyone. It's the only way to learn. But then, I'm a nerd and when something doesn't work, I usually wanna know why. Part of the fun is working on a solution. But fuck it, I'm moving on to Vista as soon as possible.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts

Not sure I would endorse this statement just yet however they are def. moving in this direction. The trusted computing group:

https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/home

of which MS is a member is working extensively to "protect" your machine. Check out the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) info. It supplies attestation and a few other "protection" features to the system.

Anyway, best believe the digital rights management folks are also players in the TCG consortium and are trying desperately to stop all the practices that are losing them money.

In this particular iteration, I wouldnt be too worried however they are def. moving towards the types of things you are talking about...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Why? I used XP even before it was released. Never had a problem. I didn't see anyone say "Hey, I'm not getting a mac" when they changed to Intel chips just because of issues with pro tools, Microwave, etc (Rosetta yo!). There were some big issues with the move to x86. Some apps still ain't fully up to par. But that shouldn't stop anyone. It's the only way to learn. But then, I'm a nerd and when something doesn't work, I usually wanna know why. Part of the fun is working on a solution. But fuck it, I'm moving on to Vista as soon as possible.
    I just don't see the point in being what is most likely going to be a paid beta tester for the new OS. I know it's impossible to create bug-free software upon release so I don't adopt new software as soon as it comes out. I don't mind troubleshooting things and usually fix things on my own but when dealing with something like an operating system vs just a regular application, it's a little bit different.

The "recommended" system requirements for Vista are pretty ridiculous too. Look at this:

• 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1 GB of system memory40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available spaceSupport for DirectX 9 graphics with:WDDM Driver128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware32 bits per pixelDVD-ROM driveAudio OutputInternet access (fees may apply)

I use a 32mb graphics card and 1GB for my DAW (which runs Windows XP and whatever I throw at it fine) and this probably wouldn't be enough to run Vista well and that's just the operating system. I understand a lot of this stuff is visual effects and whatever that can be disabled but that's besides the point. A really good thing I can see about the system requirements is that it will probably speed up hardware development and drop prices.

This is a seriously honest question but what new features in Vista (that are unavailable elsewhere) are there that are making you consider switching over? I've read a bunch about it and I have not really seen anything worthwhile otherwise I would be more than happy to try it out.

• Why? I used XP even before it was released. Never had a problem. I didn't see anyone say "Hey, I'm not getting a mac" when they changed to Intel chips just because of issues with pro tools, Microwave, etc (Rosetta yo!). There were some big issues with the move to x86. Some apps still ain't fully up to par. But that shouldn't stop anyone. It's the only way to learn. But then, I'm a nerd and when something doesn't work, I usually wanna know why. Part of the fun is working on a solution. But fuck it, I'm moving on to Vista as soon as possible.
    I just don't see the point in being what is most likely going to be a paid beta tester for the new OS. I know it's impossible to create bug-free software upon release so I don't adopt new software as soon as it comes out. I don't mind troubleshooting things and usually fix things on my own but when dealing with something like an operating system vs just a regular application, it's a little bit different.

The "recommended" system requirements for Vista are pretty ridiculous too. Look at this:

• 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1 GB of system memory40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available spaceSupport for DirectX 9 graphics with:WDDM Driver128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware32 bits per pixelDVD-ROM driveAudio OutputInternet access (fees may apply)

I use a 32mb graphics card and 1GB for my DAW (which runs Windows XP and whatever I throw at it fine) and this probably wouldn't be enough to run Vista well and that's just the operating system. I understand a lot of this stuff is visual effects and whatever that can be disabled but that's besides the point.

This is a seriously honest question but what new features in Vista (that are unavailable elsewhere) are there that are making you consider switching over? I've read a bunch about it and I have not really seen anything worthwhile otherwise I would be more than happy to try it out.

Right but Microsoft is intending for Vista to be pretty much on new computers only that will have the basic requirements. Its not really intended for people to upgrade to like previous versions of Windows although you can if you want. Plus at this point they are focusing more on the corporate accounts that are going to be rolling over 1000s of machines. I agree though i would not get it until at least the first service pack is released as I am sure its going to be buggy as hell knowing Microsoft.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Right but Microsoft is intending for Vista to be pretty much on new computers only that will have the basic requirements. Its not really intended for people to upgrade to like previous versions of Windows although you can if you want.
    Oh, I guess that's why they're pushing box sales so much and offering downloadable versions on their website?
    All new computers are going to come with it installed instead of XP so that's besides the point. What's funny is, some of these computers barely even meet the required specs, let alone the "recommended" ones. Someone told me they scored a 3.3 on the Vista compatability thing when they purchased a brand new computer with Vista installed. After that he switched to XP for some reason....

Plus at this point they are focusing more on the corporate accounts that are going to be rolling over 1000s of machines.
    Any company with a sane computer staff will not be deploying systems with Vista anytime soon. What system productivity gains will a company gain from using Vista unless they are using an application that is Vista only? Windows XP will run better on the same machine Vista runs on and a company can most likely use their pre-existing Windows XP licenses instead of paying for Vista.

All I've seen from Vista so far is making shit pretty at the cost of system resources and extra security measures which any competent IT staff should be managing already. Someone please tell me if there's anything else because I would love to know (seriously.)

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this thread is begging for a

• I'm with you guys that it would be best to wait awhile before going to vista, microsoft always has bugs and I wouldn't doubt some audio software is going to have problems with the new OS. However I think it will eventually surpass xp for audio recording once things have been worked out..

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/01/19...-cakewalks-cto/

In this article there is quite a bit about the audio capabilities of vista. It says that in vista there is a new audio driver called WaveRT it apparently will provide better latency and lower cpu use than AISO and WDM drivers...this sounds like a step in the right direction.

One thing that does really bother me about Vista is that alot of resources are allocated to graphics and the display of the OS which I hope can be fully disabled... Also it sounds like microsoft put in alot of security features to make sure that the software is authentic ect... This also sounds like another resource hog which really sucks if you want all your power for your audio apps...

• Why? I used XP even before it was released. Never had a problem. I didn't see anyone say "Hey, I'm not getting a mac" when they changed to Intel chips just because of issues with pro tools, Microwave, etc (Rosetta yo!). There were some big issues with the move to x86. Some apps still ain't fully up to par. But that shouldn't stop anyone. It's the only way to learn. But then, I'm a nerd and when something doesn't work, I usually wanna know why. Part of the fun is working on a solution. But fuck it, I'm moving on to Vista as soon as possible.

I use a 32mb graphics card and 1GB for my DAW (which runs Windows XP and whatever I throw at it fine) and this probably wouldn't be enough to run Vista well and that's just the operating system. I understand a lot of this stuff is visual effects and whatever that can be disabled but that's besides the point.

Right but Microsoft is intending for Vista to be pretty much on new computers only that will have the basic requirements. Its not really intended for people to upgrade to like previous versions of Windows although you can if you want. Plus at this point they are focusing more on the corporate accounts that are going to be rolling over 1000s of machines. I agree though i would not get it until at least the first service pack is released as I am sure its going to be buggy as hell knowing Microsoft.

It's definitely intended for new computers but even "Vista-approved" or whatever new machines are going to get their asses summarily kicked by Vista. "Minimum" requirements usually mean "use this setup only if you have to, and don't expect it to work very well." Recommended shit AFAIK is more like 2GB RAM, 256MB video card, brand-new dual-core proc.

Shit like "128MB vid and 1GHz cpu" are outright laughable. Try running Vista on a system like that and you're going to kill yourself.

Seriously. I'm used to work in IT and the best advice I can give is: don't put it on anything less than a smokin' fast machine, and don't even do that until it's been out six months or so. Plus it's mad overpriced.

You have to have a system and be brave enough to try out some new shit at the possible expense of your data and privacy before you should consider it. I myself, with a machine that meets the "minimum" specs am not going near it for a year or until I buy a new machine. XP Pro is my homeboy.

First gen software/hardware usually = (remember iPod 1? Zune? [insert iPhone reference in a few months])

let other suckers deal with the pain of untested shit. and beta does not equal full deployment as far as testing goes. everybody remember patching all the holes in internet explorer?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

- spidey

No No.. I heard that if you forward a certain Microsoft e-mail to atleast 10 people. That Bill will come to your place. Kick you in the nutz and sleep with ur girlfriend. AND install vista on all your computers (Including Macs) so he can once again rule the universe.

The mac looks like some ultra smug hipster douche bag who's editing his own "documentary" and makes "mash ups" in ableton live.

I think id rather hang out with the linux dude. the tron suit is ill. (no homo)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I think id rather hang out with the linux dude. the tron suit is ill. (no homo)

Then you gonna love THIS

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

wtf, ha,ha! tronguy

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

- spidey