Breaks to challenge the played-out ones.

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

-"Dixie (A) March of the Conditioned Souls"-David Sancious.

nice one... not too many are up on that shit right there.. i will be using that one soon enough

Man, you doods sleep on me up in here. Hey, check out "Classified Information" here My Soundclick Site to hear it freaked on the ASR-10.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    braeck.mp3

sorry, had to put some sounds over top... just in case some microwave beatmakro gets tempted.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Your braekz are fine.

Whew! That's a relief.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    All this break talk is great, and some of the stuff that I've heard is good, but IMHO there's not much than fuck with Vitamin C. Our man Jaki is The man. 04 vitamin c.mp3 - 4.05MB

And I definitely used to have some David Sancious + Tone records with nice breaks. No one has mentioned that Michael Urbaniak record with the violin in the sand on the cover. The break off of Thrust is hotness, and as a bonus its in an odd time signature with a rest. No uber raers, but solid braeks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i downloaded everything posted in this thread

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i downloaded everything posted in this thread

• Compost.

Well, I knew that one was known, but I just got that
    LP and thought it was a pretty ill break - but I'm also
    no DJ/producer, so my ear is fairly untrained.

Not really a fan of the Compost breaks either. Break #3, however, is fire.

Nice thread.

Here's one I've rarely seen mentioned. Not the most typical break, but I like it (I wouldn't say it challenges the played out ones though). I think I left out a part of the opening fill.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Here's one I've rarely seen mentioned. Not the most typical break, but I like it (I wouldn't say it challenges the played out ones though). I think I left out a part of the opening fill.

Liquid Smoke doing Otis.

But forget all that mess. Urrrrrbody knows that this is going to be #1 in the new braeks canon:

In 2007:

flabby kicks/soggy snares > punchy kicks/snappy snares

Make that shit sound like a wet sandwich.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Liquid Smoke doing Otis.

But forget all that mess. Urrrrrbody knows that this is going to be #1 in the new braeks canon:

In 2007:

might be true... but YOO the cover is SLAMMIN, right?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Roy Wood's break on the Mustard lp? Like butt cheeks farting out a break.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think I liked the Compost break cause it
    reminded me of Ashley's Roach Clip, a break
    I just can't let go of...

• where are the euro strutters ? soooo many ill breaks. dollar bin .

Just now thinking

Simon Sound - Drums Away
    Jeff Cooper/Purple Fox - Acid Test
    German Haare record
    Polish Hair record (this one's pretty nice)

And so on

Break that has been killing me lately is the one on the Julius Brockington LP "Sophisticated Funk". I don't give a shit if it's non-raer, that break is ridiculous and lasts forever!

- J

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Hey Cosmophonic
    If you don't mind me asking, what is that polish "hair" record called? I collect a lot of polish stuff, but I wasn't aware of this one.

thanks in advance

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

are these all post-1990 or what? cant really say i like the sound on any of them...no offense.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I can't post MP3s right now, so I'm going off of memory...

"The Carpenter" on Impact is one of those 'contemporary Jesus rock musicals' which has a really heavy, loud, clean break in the middle of a one song which tries a little too hard to be insightful and shocking. I remember it having a guy singing something like "OOOOOOooooh, vomit, congealed blood, oozing...Why did Hitler gas the Jews?...Whhhhhhhyyyyyy do BLAAAACKS always have to lOOOOOsssse?!?!...*break*.

There's also "Splat" off of that Spectrum / Direct Flight record.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Man, you doods sleep on me up in here. Hey, check out "Classified Information" here My Soundclick Site to hear it freaked on the ASR-10.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

ahh nice one man , i like the strings in this beat , the drums sound extra raw..probably because you sampled them through the asr-10?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    are these all post-1990 or what? cant really say i like the sound on any of them...no offense.

No offense taken. And besides the bulldykebreaks, they are all pre-1990. But most of them aren't funk 45s, so that's where you're getting the yawn from I suppose. I ran them through some extreme limiting to make them less friendly sounding on purpose, but I suspect it's not so much the limitation that you're disagreeing with, but their lack of butterfunkness. (You kids!)

So, if we're gonna limit, here's some pre-1975 business:

kiddie breaks

chick drummer

file under: my first breakbeat
    (a common one, but why don't more people use it?)

speaking of common, and chicks, and fast...

who knows this?

sounds like spottieottiedopalicious intro (terrible bongo player)

guido breaks

better bongo player

soggy bottom 45

don't get me started on the DRUM INSTRUCTIONAL LPs

Speaking of the amen break getting played out in dnb, why don't more people use this, Or this!, or this on 45rpm

Speaking of euro dudes, can any of you MPS completists tell me what the fuck is up with this?

I should have posted this on MLK day, but this is a Max Roach proto-sampler era piece dedicated to the King that I think is worthy of mention in this thread.

• hey,

i'm no producer/dj but my ears are not to be decieved when I hear a good break

this one is pretty tuff...

hey,

i'm no producer/dj but my ears are not to be decieved when I hear a good break

this one is pretty tuff...

Sound clip?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

No offense taken. And besides the bulldykebreaks, they are all pre-1990. But most of them aren't funk 45s, so that's where you're getting the yawn from I suppose. I ran them through some extreme limiting to make them less friendly sounding on purpose, but I suspect it's not so much the limitation that you're disagreeing with, but their lack of butterfunkness. (You kids!)

So, if we're gonna limit, here's some pre-1975 business:

kiddie breaks

chick drummer

file under: my first breakbeat
    (a common one, but why don't more people use it?)

speaking of common, and chicks, and fast...

who knows this?

sounds like spottieottiedopalicious intro (terrible bongo player)

guido breaks

better bongo player

soggy bottom 45

don't get me started on the DRUM INSTRUCTIONAL LPs

Speaking of the amen break getting played out in dnb, why don't more people use this, Or this!, or this on 45rpm

Speaking of euro dudes, can any of you MPS completists tell me what the fuck is up with this?

I should have posted this on MLK day, but this is a Max Roach proto-sampler era piece dedicated to the King that I think is worthy of mention in this thread.

Some real good stuff here, and in this thread generally. The only ones I knew were Birtha and (I think) Theme De Yo Yo. I liked that Foo Foo Doll joint you put up in your earlier post - I'm more into the angry, noisy shit right now. I'll try and dig some stuff out tomorrow, seeing as everyone seems to be in a sharing mood.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

charles mingus?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

ahh nice one man , i like the strings in this beat , the drums sound extra raw..probably because you sampled them through the asr-10?

Thanks, man!!!! I love my ASR-10 and although it's ancient, I'm gonna continue to roll with that 16-bit roughness.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

charles mingus?

yea i think you're right blaz... that record from the late 70s with the white cover.. thats the joint that's 30 minutes long if i remember right

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

charles mingus?

yea i think you're right blaz... that record from the late 70s with the white cover.. thats the joint that's 30 minutes long if i remember right

"Cumbia And Jazz Fusion"?

• Sound clip?

I have a new computer...sound forge installed...wires/cables...a turn table...and records, but am technologically handicapped and for the past year can't figure it out...i give up

anyways...

nice break on here too

• keep em' comin' peace, stein. . .

• aiiiiight

(if you don't already have this) snag it on the cheap while you can...the title track alone is more than worth it not to mention that it's one of 3 breaks on the lp

• yo Einstein! you got this moder billy preston related joint?

• nope! peace, stein. . .