Inventor of LP inducted into hall of fame

CommonwealthCommonwealth 27 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
"-the late Peter C. Goldmark, for the long-playing record."18 Inventors Picked to Join Hall of FameBy NATASHA T. METZLERAssociated Press WriterTechnology VideoAdvertisementAP AUDIOIntroducing the Class of 2007 of the National Inventors Hall of Fame. The A-P's Jon Belmont reports on the inductees announced today.Buy AP Photo ReprintsWASHINGTON (AP) -- Inventors of the MRI, the Ethernet, the LP record and a popular weedkiller are among 18 people picked for induction into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.The 2007 class of inductees, announced Thursday, join luminaries such as Thomas Edison, Velcro inventor George de Mestral and Charles Goodyear, developer of vulcanized rubber."Some of these inventors ... have literally changed the way we live our lives," said Rini Paiva, spokeswoman for the National Inventors Hall of Fame Foundation. But, she added, "They are not household names."Among the latest inductees and their inventions are:-Paul C. Lauterbur, for the MRI, or magnetic resonance imaging.-Robert M. Metcalfe, for high-speed networking known as Ethernet.-the late Peter C. Goldmark, for the long-playing record.-John E. Franz, for the herbicide Roundup.The Akron, Ohio-based hall of fame was founded by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the National Council of Intellectual Property Law Associations. It has inducted members since 1973 and will have honored 331 inventors with the new class.The hall once was at the Patent Office in Washington, but has been in Akron since 1995.Metcalfe recalls the early days of working on the Ethernet project at Xerox Corp.'s research center in Palo Alto, Calif. "We had no idea in 1973 that it would get that big," he said. "We were just computer guys building our own tools."Paul Baran was selected this year for developing a decentralized way of networking digital communication, called digital packet switching."I think that we give a lot of attention to music and football, why not those who come up with ideas that we use in a different way," said Baran, whose research was conducted while at Rand Corp.The new inductees include seven living and 11 deceased inventors. Two induction ceremonies will take place in May in Akron. Source

Comments

• Thank you very much, Mr. Goldmark.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    this is great

i am using a portrait of dude as my avatar right about now.

check out this little bio:

" Peter Carl Goldmark was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1906. He studied physics at the University of Vienna, where he received his B.S. in 1929 and his Ph.D. in 1931, and began his career working for a radio company in England. In 1933, he emigrated to the United States and worked as a construction engineer until 1936, when he joined CBS, or Columbia Broadcasting System, as Chief Engineer of the Television Department.

At CBS, Goldmark created what is known as the first commercial color television system. His used a rotating three-color (red, green and blue) disk. He conducted experiments with the system from the top of the Chrysler building in New York in 1940. It would be 14 years before the first color television sets were marketed to the public, but he made it known that the potential was real. His system was approved by the Federal Communications Commission, but soon after an all-electronic color system was developed that was compatible with black-and-white sets. Thus his system was never commercially used.

In 1948 Goldmark and his team developed a product that revolutionized the music industry ??? the 33 1/3 RPM disc and LP (long-playing) phonograph. This system increased the playing time of records, and the microgroove discs, which were made of vinyl rather than shellac and clay, were much improved in terms of surface noise ??? and much less breakable. These 12-inch discs also weighed far less than the traditional 78 RPM disc, saving the record producer, shipper, and retailer a great deal of money in handling and storage costs. But most importantly, they allowed the listener to settle in for a long play period ??? and didn??t require them to flip them often like the 78 RPMs did. Goldmark also developed the "Highway Hi-Fi,"[/b] which allowed drivers to play records in their cars[/b]. These first began to appear in Chrysler automobiles in 1956.

Goldmark served in subsequent positions at CBS including director of research and development, vice president of CBS Labs, and president and director of research. He was constantly innovating, developing groundbreaking devices such as a scanning system used by the Lunar Orbiter spacecraft in 1966 to transmit photographs from the moon to the earth, and contributing to video cassette recording technology that lead to the advent of the VCR. Overall, he is credited with more than 160 inventions in communications-related fields. He died on Dec. 7, 1977.

"

he is the fucking man as far as i'm concerned.

• this is great

"

Very true. I was just thinking after reading the original thread, that Columbia had made the LP as an alternative to the 78. RCA went out of their way to release the 45, which may have been targeted to different audiences but was more or less meant as direct competition to the long playing album. Of course now, Columbia is owned by Sony, RCA was a BMG entity, and now they're one in the same.

I believe the album cover in the LP era was also created by someone who worked with Columbia (I don't remember his name offhand), to try to step away from the actual "photo album" look that the 78's had.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    this is great

"

Very true. I was just thinking after reading the original thread, that Columbia had made the LP as an alternative to the 78. RCA went out of their way to release the 45, which may have been targeted to different audiences but was more or less meant as direct competition to the long playing album. Of course now, Columbia is owned by Sony, RCA was a BMG entity, and now they're one in the same.

I believe the album cover in the LP era was also created by someone who worked with Columbia (I don't remember his name offhand), to try to step away from the actual "photo album" look that the 78's had.

Right. 33s and 45s competed side by side. RCA made a 45 only player, and Columbia made a 33 only player. By the early 50s almost every company including Columbia and RCA made all 3 formats and most phonographs could play 4 speeds (don't forget 16).

Heres what we forget. 1) 78s were produced up till about '59, so there was no sudden death of the 78s. 2) 45s won the format war. From the early 50s until about 1968 7" 45s out sold 12" 33s every year.

• Right. 33s and 45s competed side by side. RCA made a 45 only player, and Columbia made a 33 only player. By the early 50s almost every company including Columbia and RCA made all 3 formats and most phonographs could play 4 speeds (don't forget 16).

Heres what we forget. 1) 78s were produced up till about '59, so there was no sudden death of the 78s. 2) 45s won the format war. From the early 50s until about 1968 7" 45s out sold 12" 33s every year.

As you know, there are a lot of collectors who prefer certain 78's in the rock'n'roll era, specifically those that would later be pressed on 45. John Tefteller's ads (and website) is proof of that. India pressed up 78's until the mid-1960's, which gets the Beatles collectors going nuts.

On the RCA 45's, here's a scan of an ad posted on the SH boards that I may or may not have posted here before. Here it is anyway.