numark handytrax vs vestax portable

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
gday kids,just curious as to strutters' thoughts on these two portables. i can get my hands on either for around A$200 so it's just a matter of which will better serve my purposes.recently i moved out with the other half but had to leave my wax and 1200s at my previous spot. we're in a little small two bedroom townhouse with no room for a big set up and after digging missions, all my record purchases have to get taken around to my folks place. having realised i can't hack not having records on in the background (mp3s and CDs aren't the same), i need to find a player that i can:1) play records with on a stereo system2) use to sample into my PC for writing tracks at home (lofi and abraisive sound isn't TOO much of an issue for my style of music and if really necessary, i can always resample back at the main "studio")3) to take digging with - at the moment, i'm rocking an old 60s portable i copped off ebay in 2002 (see avatar).thanks for you thoughts everyone!cheersmax

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    both crap, Numark slightly less so.

• both crap, Numark slightly less so.

in terms of sound quality? or build quality?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    both crap, Numark slightly less so.

in terms of sound quality? or build quality?

Numark is slightly louder and bits take longer to fall off. Only mint records will sound OK sampled off it, and then they won't be mint any more!

• maybe cop a second hand denon off ebay or something, or a new player, they ain't that expense these days right !?!

hows the digging in perth max - the pic below has been doing the rounds, looks pretty nice over there !! peep the comet in the middle too

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i have the Vestax portable. it isnt loud at all which sucks. other than that i havent had problems with it. then again i dont use it to sample.

• maybe cop a second hand denon off ebay or something, or a new player, they ain't that expense these days right !?!

hows the digging in perth max - the pic below has been doing the rounds, looks pretty nice over there !! peep the comet in the middle too

gday hugh! long time mate, i keep floating in and out of forums and never have much to drop here knowledge-wise!

digging is up and down here mate. still have a nice hook up at this record store that calls me as soon as new 12"s drop so been able to pick up decent bits and pieces there, but not hip-hop stuff. don't know if you know, but dance-type music played a huge role in my musical upbringing and hardcore techno is my "bread and butter" in terms of production and recorded output. check here for a laugh.

yeah we had some mad weather over here around oz day plus with the comet, made for some real theatrics in the sky!

but not a bad idea, a cheap turney and mixer might be the option.... if only i hadn't given away my audio mixers to others after getting my technics gear.

so general consensus: portables are woeful for sampling purposes right?

cheers
    max

• i have both. i'd never use them for sampling purposes, the styli are just too gritty. they are designed for digging and that's all they are good for.

• i have both. i'd never use them for sampling purposes, the styli are just too gritty. they are designed for digging and that's all they are good for.

coolo - that's basically all i needed to check!

• that picture up there for real? certain aspects of the crowd on the right make me think some photoshop might be involved...

• that picture up there for real? certain aspects of the crowd on the right make me think some photoshop might be involved...

ive thought the same when i first saw it but the weather was indeed like that on australia day. perth has this massive fireworks display and at the same time there was some sick thunder happening and that comet was passing through town...

dude must have had a massive wideangle lens. i suspect there was some photoshopping involved as its a panorama shot, but i think that crowd is real. this shot would have been taken at scarborough beach which is one of the city's more popular beaches. this year, a few other councils decided to hold their own fireworks celebrations that our illustrious mayor peter natrass labelled as a "cracker show". god bless.

• for your needs, only one will do...

• Hi!

I just bought a Vestax Handy trax myself, and I love it. I think the sound is pretty good, and if the sound is too gritty to some, I can't really hear that. But then again my ears are not in amzing condition, so I might not be the most reliable one to listen to.

I like the Vestax because

- Lightweight

- Fits in my record bag

- Looks nice/easy to make look nicer

- Got stereo output

- Easy to get spare parts for it since it's a newer table.

It's not some superduper retro toy portable shaped like an alligator with glasses, but it does the job for me.

Having said that, I'm on a budget and will make do with what I can get. If you can spend cash, get the Sound Burger. It's awesome.

I hope that helps.

- J

• I have a Vestax Handy Trax with custom Louis Vuitton slipmats & stickers covers covering the cover...I use it to listen to records in the park sometimes or when I want to listen to records in bed

I lust for a Sound Burger though

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i can't believe people are even considering using these portable shits for home use--listening and/or sampling. get a $200 used 1200 and a $45 phonostage seriously.

damn.

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/techn...40QQsacatZ14982

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    the Numark and Vestax are ridiculously overpriced, flimsy pieces of cheap plastic. Add to that the horrible product design and very poor sound quality, I truly can't understand why anyone would want to buy either one.

There's a multitude of okay to great sounding, sturdy and good looking vintage portables out there.

This is one of my favorite models from Philips, in Europe easy to find for under 20,-???

• Has anyone else had problems with their Numark power cord breaking? On mine, the rubber/plastic became very brittle and keeps cracking. Very poor quality.

I like the turntable for what it is (great for shopping records) but don't use it for home listening. It can't handle the bass of most hip hop records ... skips constantly. And the sound quality is nowhere near that of a real turntable.

• I do local markets (around Byron) with my Numark portable connected to a sound system made up of a 12v motorcyle battery an amp from a car stereo and 4 speakers. It sounds Ok and is good for customers to listen to stuff before they buy but I noticed it has a bit of a hum when connected thru a sound sytem mainly because it has no ground wire. Oh and the inbuilt speaker is amazingly crap.

I still like it though but would never sample with it. You want the best signal possible to record your samples. As the old saying goes "you can't polish a Turd"